Sponsored

Anyone's Warn winch start running on it's own?

TheArlenG

First Name
Arlen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys Sting Gray
I have an EVO 10 less than a year old. Yesterday my winch started sporadically running on it's own, clicking on/off. Fortunately was running the line out vs pulling in, which would have probably ruined my bumper. I checked my wireless remote which was off. I could turn it on, but it wouldn't seem to connect or control the winch. I called Warn and the person I talked to was helpful and wanted to personally receive the winch, so they're sending me a return box. Disconnected from battery for time being.

I think it's weird and obviously a concern for safety and/or damage. Wondering if anyone else has had this problem and possibly the cause. Seems like a rare problem as I couldn't find anything except one other post on a polaris site.

Probably a total coincidence but I had my wife's '12 911 parked in the same spot in my driveway all week (Jeep in garage w/top off) and the alarm randomly went off a few times for no apparent reason (I have video cameras). It's normally in the garage and this is the first time that happened. Is it possible that my winch isn't defective and there is some kind of radio interference that could do this? Gremlins? Russian hackers? Coronavirus?

Thanks...Arlen.
Sponsored

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
This is only the second time I’ve heard of this, and the last time was last weekend. At the Tillamook Jeep jamboree last weekend and a guys warn starting going in and out on its own. He’d already used it several times that day without a problem, but when it started going on it’s own he had to quickly disconnect it from the battery. Super sketchy when that thing suddenly has a mind of its own.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
That’s a good reason to wire a winch through a secondary auxiliary switch. Sounds like a wireless remote issue.

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
You weren’t near skinwalker ranch were you. Lol

OP
OP
TheArlenG

TheArlenG

First Name
Arlen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's nuts... they're going to send me a new one when they get mine, but I plan on adding a switch... way to dangerous for this to potentially happen. I totally agree @Windshieldfarmer

Sponsored

Mabar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2-Door
That’s a good reason to wire a winch through a secondary auxiliary switch. Sounds like a wireless remote issue.
Or, a less expensive way...

I just put wing nuts on both the positive and negative battery terminals. I leave the winch totally disconnected from the battery until I need the winch. If I need the winch, just open the hood, connect both winch cables to the battery terminals with wing nuts, and I am good to go. Takes about 60 seconds.

FINN 2.0

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR. 1979 Ford 150.
I keep my remote control winch in neutral to keep others from running my winch with their remote. Also I keep a bungee chord around the drum to keep it from freewheeling.

Razvan_JLU

First Name
Razvan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE JLUR
Had a friend with same issue, just that it was pulling in, breaking the front bumper. showed up as cables melted forming an "On" circuit.

OP
OP
TheArlenG

TheArlenG

First Name
Arlen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey @Windshieldfarmer ... do you have any suggestions/idea on a switch? I'll probably start another thread, but figured I'd ask. The Warn manual says is draws 350amp... I was looking at marine switches that can handle that but they're HUGE... is that pretty much what it's gonna be?

Sponsored

Mabar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2-Door
Hey @Windshieldfarmer ... do you have any suggestions/idea on a switch? I'll probably start another thread, but figured I'd ask. The Warn manual says is draws 350amp... I was looking at marine switches that can handle that but they're HUGE... is that pretty much what it's gonna be?
A switch is really unnecessary. A wing nut on each battery terminal is all you need. Leave the winch cables disconnected and tucked in behind the battery when not needed. Quickly connect your winch cables with the two wing nuts when needed.

OP
OP
TheArlenG

TheArlenG

First Name
Arlen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A switch is really unnecessary. A wing nut on each battery terminal is all you need. Leave the winch cables disconnected and tucked in behind the battery when not needed. Quickly connect your winch cables with the two wing nuts when needed.
I hear ya, but just thinking it's one less thing to deal with if you're stuck in the mud. I was thinking to put a switch near the winch

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S JL 2 DR 1999 Chevy Suburban K1500
If IRC that was the issue that caused the Quadratrac winch recall.

OP
OP
TheArlenG

TheArlenG

First Name
Arlen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)