Sponsored

Anyone With ESS Using Aftermarket Fog Lights?

MRH512

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the @BajaDesigns SAE Fog Lights (using the factory foglight connections) on my 2020 Rubicon 4-cylinder w/ ESS and noticed the driver side light will blink off and back on a couple of times when I'm stopped. It will stay on for a minute or so after I start driving again and then turn off and not come back on until I turn the Jeep off and back on again.

I did an experiment this week and I think it's related to the ESS. For the first two days I left the ESS activated and noticed the driver side fog light turn off. For the past two days I turned the ESS off and the fog light stayed on without issue.

I've not had a chance to contact Baja Designs yet but wondered if anyone else has experienced anything similar.
Sponsored

Black Sheep

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L JLUR
I installed the @BajaDesigns SAE Fog Lights (using the factory foglight connections) on my 2020 Rubicon 4-cylinder w/ ESS and noticed the driver side light will blink off and back on a couple of times when I'm stopped. It will stay on for a minute or so after I start driving again and then turn off and not come back on until I turn the Jeep off and back on again.

I did an experiment this week and I think it's related to the ESS. For the first two days I left the ESS activated and noticed the driver side fog light turn off. For the past two days I turned the ESS off and the fog light stayed on without issue.

I've not had a chance to contact Baja Designs yet but wondered if anyone else has experienced anything similar.
No issues here, installed the same SAE fog lights on my 2020 JLUR.

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual

I would probably see if there are any poor connections for that particular light check for good continuity .. The ESS probably has nothing to do with it other than keeping voltage at peak levels while engine running... I would consider this a clue

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Were your stock fog lights halogen? They use pulse width modulated current which makes LEDs flicker. If so, you can use a Tazer to change the fog light type setting to LED.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Did you use a programmer?

For even more fun, take a video of your lights with a cell phone camera, they may be flickering more than you can see.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MRH512

MRH512

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Were your stock fog lights halogen? They use pulse width modulated current which makes LEDs flicker. If so, you can use a Tazer to change the fog light type setting to LED.
The stock fog lights were LEDs.

OP
OP
MRH512

MRH512

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Did you use a programmer?

For even more fun, take a video of your lights with a cell phone camera, they may be flickering more than you can see.
I haven't used a programmer. Just used the plug n' play connectors from the Baja Designs kit for JL's.

J.Ralston

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited.
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Law Enforcement, Self Defense/Firearms Trainer, Professional Musician, Off Road Enthusiast.
OP
OP
MRH512

MRH512

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I just bought these fog lights and they should be here tomorrow. My 2021 JLUR also has the OEM LED lights as well. After I do the instillation this weekend, I’ll see if mine does the same thing or not?
https://www.kchilites.com/gravity-r...rubicon-moab-jt-rubicon-steel-bumper-504.html
Appreciate it. I still haven't had a chance to crawl under the bumper and check all the wires and connections nor to call Baja Designs. Hoping to get to that this weekend.

I've been testing the fog lights with ESS on and off all week and the one fog light definitely only turns off after I've been sitting for a minute or so with ESS engaged (w/ the engine shut down like at a stop light). It's very odd...

BajaDesigns

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Applicable
Hello,

This is a problem commonly related to the Canbus electrical system. Check out the link below to a similar thread, as well as my response there.

In short, if you cannot have the dealer flash your ECU to Halogen/LED fog lights, then we sell a harness that will bypass the system, but retain the use of the factory fog switch.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/baja-designs-sae-squadron-fog-problems.66698/

"This is a fairly common problem stemming from the factory electrical system used by Jeep. The CAN bus electrical system is designed to intelligently keep power to all your electrical accessories, however it can often cause trouble with aftermarket add-ons. More often than not, it does not cause issue when using our plug and play connectors (or custom modifications like you have made), but some do have trouble.

Many people rectify this by simply having their dealer flash the ECU to support LED lights. It is a simple fix that works for most. If you are nearby to your local dealer and they don't try to squeeze a charge out of you, I highly recommend giving this a shot.

If that is for some reason unsuccessful, we make an anti flicker harness that will 100% resolve this issue. It provides a relayed connection to the battery, bypassing the CAN bus system, but retaining the factory fog switch operation.

https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/Anti-Flicker-2-pin-Wiring-Harness.asp

If you need any additional support on this, please feel free to reach out. "

Sponsored

OP
OP
MRH512

MRH512

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Hello,

This is a problem commonly related to the Canbus electrical system. Check out the link below to a similar thread, as well as my response there.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/baja-designs-sae-squadron-fog-problems.66698/

https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/Anti-Flicker-2-pin-Wiring-Harness.asp

If you need any additional support on this, please feel free to reach out. "
Thanks for the insight, @Baja Designs. My life is a little too hectic to get to or to leave my car with the dealer for an untold number of days. I think I'd rather to the anti-flicker wiring route.

Does this wiring replace the factory fog light wires? I didn't see any installation instructions on the product page.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
I have the Oracle fog lights and ESS, no problems though.
Sponsored