Sponsored

Anyone with a Bestop Sunrider have this problem?

OP
OP
Priherd

Priherd

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR
100%. The fabric definitely stretches. I've seen it on the Sunrider on my old 2015 JKU, and see it now with the Sunrider on my 2020 JLU. I know many people with OEM and aftermarket (Bestop and others) soft tops that also have fabric that stretches. How tight the top looks will depend on the temperature and if it is wet or not. What everyone is seeing with the JL/U Sunrider is perfectly normal.
When it's brand new and just out of the box it shouldn't have these wrinkles. Both of the black twill sunriders I have tried on my 2020 JLUR had these wrinkles right out of the box. I use to own a 2017 JK and I had the Bestop Trektop Pro in black twill. The full top with the glass rear window) on it. It was tight as heck, you could bounce a quarter on it. The install instructions said to only install it when it was above 76 degrees because the fabric would expand making it easier to install. In the time I owned it only stretched enough for me to easily close the sunrider part of it. And that was only because it was designed to be tight and then stretch as you used the sunrider part of it. (IMO) It never seemed to shrink or expand due to whether or not it was wet or damp. It did expand slightly and was easier to deal with when it was hot and in the direct sun but it never showed anywhere that it was loose or wrinkled. That makes sense, heat will expand fabric and lots of other materials and the cold will make it contract. The pictures of both the tops I posted above were taken in the morning when it was cool and damp (80 degrees) and in the afternoon they would tighten up a little in the sun and dry. (95 degrees, in FL). That's the opposite of contraction and expansion due to heat and cold. They both still showed big wrinkles when it was dry and hot. I can deal with it like it is and probably will cause I like the convenience of being able to quickly open and close the top, I'm just disappointed that the quality of this $850 piece of equipment is up to standards, IMO. Thanks for listening.
Sponsored

Spdu4ia

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr Rubi
I had one on my JK as well that i loved and was super tight. All these concerns over the new one makes me reluctant to purchase for my JL

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

acceptable for a product that costs as much as is does? hard to say,,,,
It all depends on perspective. The Sunrider is basically fabric stretched over a metal frame. There will always be some give in the material as it stretches and contracts with various temperatures and weather conditions. You can even see wrinkles in the pictures Bestop has on their own web site. If people are unhappy with how their top looks, I'm sure Bestop will work with them to make things right. I've worked with their customer service team on several issues, and they have always been top notch.

OP
OP
Priherd

Priherd

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR
I'm sure Bestop will work with them to make things right. I've worked with their customer service team on several issues, and they have always been top notch.
I agree that their customer service is very good, so far they have helped me out but they haven't solved the problem yet.

HempelNet

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon XR (Crystal Granite)
Occupation
Sr. Security Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I did notice a great install video from Quadratec that shows if the back in not in place correctly it could cause issues perhaps looseness as well check this out from about 2:30 mark.

I doubt this would help but anything I can do to help someone else I will give it a try.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Priherd

Priherd

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR
I did notice a great install video from Quadratec that shows if the back in not in place correctly it could cause issues perhaps looseness as well check this out from about 2:30 mark.

I doubt this would help but anything I can do to help someone else I will give it a try.
Thanks HempelNet for the video, I have seen this myself and checked my Sunrider, it is installed correctly. Thanks!

Spdu4ia

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr Rubi
i wonder since i live close to bestop if i decide to get one if i should have them install it just so that these issues could be addressed at that time instead of dealing with customer service and returns...

OP
OP
Priherd

Priherd

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR
i wonder since i live close to bestop if i decide to get one if i should have them install it just so that these issues could be addressed at that time instead of dealing with customer service and returns...
That's a good idea. If you do let us know how it goes!
Sponsored