Sponsored

Anyone with a Bestop Sunrider have this problem?

Priherd

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR
I ordered a Sunrider from Bestop and this is what it looked like after installing it,
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone with a Bestop Sunrider have this problem? IMG_4386

Picture taken on Apr 24 2020

I complained to Bestop and they sent me another one which I installed on May 23 2020. This is what it looks like;
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone with a Bestop Sunrider have this problem? IMG_4478

Yes, there is dew on the top but look at the wrinkles!!

Has anyone else had this problem? After I removed the first one I unfolded it on the ground and the wrinkles were there so the problem is the top and not my 2020 JLUR. After installing the second Sunrider and it had the same wrinkles as the first one I removed it and tried it on a friends 2018 JLU and it looked exactly the same. I sent Bestop another email asking for help with this a week ago and still have not heard back from them. WTF Bestop!
Sponsored

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is similar, as long as it functions and no flapping or leaking, I think you will be fine. It is a "rag" it will never be smooth.

Agent47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito! JLU 2.0T (Built 7/4)
Not the best photo but here is mine that I installed last weekend and just took a picture of for this post. You can see the bars and some creasing but it’s not as bad.

DFEAA5B7-AF6C-436C-95A1-FE1F2233E477.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Priherd

Priherd

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR
Not the best photo but here is mine that I installed last weekend and just took a picture of for this post. You can see the bars and some creasing but it’s not as bad.
Good to know that I'm not the only one that has this issue. I have seen lots of JLs with the Sunrider and none of them had wrinkles. Most were tight as a drum which is what I expected when I shelled out $850 for it. Thanks for the Reply.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
That's what my soft top looks like especially after it rains. It's not a big deal, but I do understand being miffed if you're paying nearly 900 bucks for such a relatively small piece of fabric.

Sponsored

maddscot

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited
Mine is the same... this is in the morning with some dew on the top, but still have the "ridges" in it when warm/hot. I expected more noise, some flap (when I hit +55mph it sometimes has a "thump"). No leaks, no issues otherwise.

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone with a Bestop Sunrider have this problem? IMG_3409

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Sure doesn’t look like the advertisement photos. So typical. Still, I just wish they’d offer a tan colored one haha.

maddscot

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sure doesn’t look like the advertisement photos. So typical. Still, I just wish they’d offer a tan colored one haha.
Agreed... We do love the convenience of it when we are out and about. As here in North Texas we can get that unexpected rain storm. I sent an email to Bestop customer service on it now that I looked at it again, for the cost it should excel in all areas... Will keep all posted up on their response. Note > took the offer of professional installation as I was out of town, and had to reinstall when we first got it. the back edge of the top was not inserted properly and the rail mounts where not aligned with the foam/weatherstrip gaskets.

emgeesea

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
Vehicle Showcase
I just installed a Sunrider this afternoon. While it is not as bad as some of the pics on this post, it is also not as smooth as the Sunrider I had on my JK, which I installed 2 years ago. Based on these posts and my experience with the JK version, the JL Sunrider may not be as well manufactured as previous versions. Hopefully, as noted by maddscot, the top will perform where it matters most: no water leaks and no excessive wind noise.

One thought (sorry if obvious): have you checked that the "z" pins that pull the fabric tight did not come out of the holes in the side brackets during your installation?

I do agree that for the $$ the fit of the top should be better. Perhaps if enough purchasers comment to Bestop they will do something about it.

BTW, my top looks much better from the driver's side, and I'd be very satisfied if that were the consistent appearance!

UPDATE: I took the JL for a ride to test the new Sunrider and heard a metal clanking sound coming from the top. I pulled over and found that 2 factory-installed bolts are missing on the rear cross bar. So much for quality control at Bestop.

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone with a Bestop Sunrider have this problem? IMG_3275

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone with a Bestop Sunrider have this problem? IMG_3277

Missing bolts:
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone with a Bestop Sunrider have this problem? IMG_3280

Last edited:

maddscot

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is an update as dew dried and sun hit too for a few hours. Still shows ridges and not as taught as it was a week or two ago. Everything in place.
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone with a Bestop Sunrider have this problem? 73F7E6A8-90DB-484A-96E8-8F26537163E4

Sponsored

Leisure Freak

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL 2 door Sport, 1981 Toyota SR5 Convertible PU, 2002 Chevy Tracker, 2015 Impala, 90 Civic,
When I installed mine (January 2020) it was pretty flat. But after being on over the winter I see some of the same wrinkles. Maybe it stretches over time. I have been thru a couple of gnarly snow storms, slush blow back on the highway, rain and it does its job keeping me and the inside dry. Always open now with the nice weather. I have been impressed with it so far. Only one instance passing a semi truck at 70 on the highway with a 45 mph headwind getting a thump sound on the top. Otherwise fairly quiet for a rag top on a non aerodynamic vehicle. Based on other Bestop threads I've read on this forum, if you have problems/complaints with it, Bestop seems to be fairly responsive.
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone with a Bestop Sunrider have this problem? 100_5039.JPG

maddscot

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As a follow up I submitted a request / ticket to Bestop as suggested. I got an email stating better to call and refer to ticket #. Called and hold time was long (I am sure short staffed and busy) so as proposed by the autohelp, pressed "1" to leave a message for "someone to get back to me" No call back yet (24 hours), but I understand it will take some time. If no call within the next day or two a follow up. Will post response here... all in all the top works again no leaks, or issues (I think)>

OP
OP
Priherd

Priherd

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR
As a follow up I submitted a request / ticket to Bestop as suggested. I got an email stating better to call and refer to ticket #. Called and hold time was long (I am sure short staffed and busy) so as proposed by the autohelp, pressed "1" to leave a message for "someone to get back to me" No call back yet (24 hours), but I understand it will take some time. If no call within the next day or two a follow up. Will post response here... all in all the top works again no leaks, or issues (I think)>
It took them a few days to get back to me the first time I called but they did finally get back to me! I haven't heard from them this time.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Maybe it stretches over time.
100%. The fabric definitely stretches. I've seen it on the Sunrider on my old 2015 JKU, and see it now with the Sunrider on my 2020 JLU. I know many people with OEM and aftermarket (Bestop and others) soft tops that also have fabric that stretches. How tight the top looks will depend on the temperature and if it is wet or not. What everyone is seeing with the JL/U Sunrider is perfectly normal.

Spdu4ia

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr Rubi
perfectly normal yes, acceptable for a product that costs as much as is does? hard to say,,,,
Sponsored