Sponsored

Anyone with a 2 Door Overland/Camping Setup?

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
Any reason why to carry the spare tire inside than on the tailgate?
Not a fan of having it on the tailgate blocking the rear window. Based on the angle, I don’t see my totes in the rear view mirror.
Sponsored

Poordad

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Acura TSX, 2015 Chrysler 300s, 2023 JLUR
I realize the four-door is heavier, but why would the COG be significantly different between the two-door and four-door?
The shorter wheelbase of the 2 door would make the Jeep more likely to tip when top heavy, seems to me.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Tip back or side to side, and.why? Wouldn't it be based on COG, track (for side tipping) and wheelbase (for rear tipping)? Seems betqeen 2 and 4-door, COG is basically the same, track is the same,? Wheelbase is different, but you're adding the same amount of weight above COG.

Poordad

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Acura TSX, 2015 Chrysler 300s, 2023 JLUR
Tip back or side to side, and.why? Wouldn't it be based on COG, track (for side tipping) and wheelbase (for rear tipping)? Seems betqeen 2 and 4-door, COG is basically the same, track is the same,? Wheelbase is different, but you're adding the same amount of weight above COG.
I don’t know, that’s why I am asking! I am thinking that a vehicle which has its wheels further apart (longer wheel base) would be a little less effected by being off camber with a a heavier load on top of the Jeep (top heavy) while negotiating obstacles. Seems to me a lifted or stock 2 door, also top heavy would need to be more careful because the wheel base is shorter. Having watched both 2 doors and 4 doors going through the same obstacle but reacting differently is what prompted my question. I never loaded up my CJ or my JK on the roof.

Sponsored

Initial-Jeep

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 392XR Tuscadero, PT Cruiser Dream Cruisers 2&4
Occupation
Data Engineer, Retired Air Force
4-dr has more mass vs 2-dr, reducing the relative weight being added on top of it--a smaller ratio

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
2.5 yrs. ago I removed the rear seats and installed these shelves over the 37" spare.
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone with a 2 Door Overland/Camping Setup? JL spar

Yesturday, I relocated the spare back onto the tailgate's factory carrier. Very much looking forward to the reclaimed space.
I tried roof top and receiver hitch baskets but neithor work out for me.
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone with a 2 Door Overland/Camping Setup? Mathis ranch marker (1)

I found the RotoPax aux. fuel to be an option and not a necessity.
photo location
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone with a 2 Door Overland/Camping Setup? mathis %22VT%22 ranch marker

36°09'04.2"N 113°32'05.5"W

Last edited:

eureka

First Name
Anna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport 2021
2019 Rubicon with Tuffstuff roof top tent mounted on a maximus3 Rhino rack. Very comfortable but still nimble. Trips to Moab, southern Utah, Padre Island national seashore, Big Bend national park and numerous Colorado destinations.

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone with a 2 Door Overland/Camping Setup? mathis %22VT%22 ranch marker
Can you share who installed the racks etc.?

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Hydro Blue
I’m not a fan of rooftop tents. I’m very happy with my Gazelle T3 and BUSHTEC Adventure Sierra 440 premium camp cot. Easy setup.
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone with a 2 Door Overland/Camping Setup? PXL_20220513_234951675
I’m still thinking about switching from a 4 door to 2 door, one thing stopping me is camping (I sleep in my 4 door now on a Deepsleep mattress), how’s the T3 for setup, etc. mostly camping my wife and I or me by myself. Off-roading/hiking trips mostly 1 or 2 nights, or surf trips (probably smarter to camp in a tent and put my gear inside.

Sponsored

XYJGuy

First Name
SG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 430i, Acura MDX, 2 Hyundai Tuscons, JL Willys
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I’m not a fan of rooftop tents. I’m very happy with my Gazelle T3 and BUSHTEC Adventure Sierra 440 premium camp cot. Easy setup.
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone with a 2 Door Overland/Camping Setup? PXL_20220513_234951675
Hi JJB242, I love your jeep (Jeep and top color rock!). I have a soft top as well, and I like your idea of the T3 and Bushtek cot. Do you happen to have any pics of how it loads up in the back of your jeep and while maintaining room for your dog? Thanks! -SG

djxizodu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door
IMO small trailer behind a 2 door is the best option for off-roading/camping.

many many people who camp for multiple days all say the same things about roof top tents. Great and easy, but it becomes tiresome breaking camp every time you need to run to town or go on trails. Better to leave trailer with tent on it at camp and come back.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Dump the back seat and you’ve plenty of room for a nice tent, sleeping bags/pads, Coleman stove and 12v fridge.. you can haul everything you need and save yourself a ton of cheese that you can then use to finance so Nice trips😊

Atomic5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLR 🛸
Without the rear seat, I can get all my gear back there. 12v fridge, cooking items, tent, groceries, etc. I still have room off the hitch for a bike or cargo carrier. Fitment was little easier in my 4-door JK but I love the 2-door, so I make it work.

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone with a 2 Door Overland/Camping Setup? 1

Cllowe

First Name
christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 door jl
I have to iron man tent that connects to the awning and I love it. It’s roomy and keeps me off the ground. The down side is when it’s out your there, unless you pack it all up but a rtt would be the same. I wanted a teardrop style trailer so I could just unhook if I needed but a lot of times I have a small trailer I tow with my whitewater rafts as well when I go to that area. When I trail camp it is nice not having the trailer.

IMG_7003.jpeg

71293741361__5A95C60D-43C5-4269-9503-B77BCCAFCE9D.jpeg
Sponsored