Sponsored

Anyone with a 2 Door Overland/Camping Setup?

TheDantee

First Name
Dante
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mercedes Sprinter 170
Would love to see pictures and hear about how you use it.
Sponsored

coloshoveler

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 4runner, 2007 corvette
2019 Rubicon with Tuffstuff roof top tent mounted on a maximus3 Rhino rack. Very comfortable but still nimble. Trips to Moab, southern Utah, Padre Island national seashore, Big Bend national park and numerous Colorado destinations.

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone with a 2 Door Overland/Camping Setup? Jeep_edit

Whiskeybiskit

First Name
Donny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL wrangler sport s
Vehicle Showcase
2019 Rubicon with Tuffstuff roof top tent mounted on a maximus3 Rhino rack. Very comfortable but still nimble. Trips to Moab, southern Utah, Padre Island national seashore, Big Bend national park and numerous Colorado destinations.

That is a wicked nice setup!

Poordad

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Acura TSX, 2015 Chrysler 300s, 2023 JLUR

Looking good! Any issues with going off road and your center of gravity in the 2 door?

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Looking good! Any issues with going off road and your center of gravity in the 2 door?
Exactly my question. Trying to keep my JLR low and light for towing and eventual rock crawling reasons.

Sponsored

Poordad

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Acura TSX, 2015 Chrysler 300s, 2023 JLUR
Exactly my question. Trying to keep my JLR low and light for towing and eventual rock crawling reasons.
This is why I am having a hard time deciding between ordering a 2 or 4 door. I like the idea of being able to sleep in a 4door if needed, but that is really the only reason I would want a 4door now. Donā€™t need to seat 3 anymore and I loved driving my CJ5.

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

This is why I am having a hard time deciding between ordering a 2 or 4 door. I like the idea of being able to sleep in a 4door if needed, but that is really the only reason I would want a 4door now. Donā€™t need to seat 3 anymore and I loved driving my CJ5.
First mod was to remove the back seat in my 2dr. Probably never reinstall it. If it is only two of you then that is a no brainer for storage.

Being that this will also be a toad, total 'toad' weight is high on the list. So, everything I do is about weight since I will be dragging this behind a Class C RV and a 2dr is right at the max CGWR.

The way I see it, even with a 4dr you will have a bunch of stuff to take out just to sleep in the back and where does that go? MIght as well set up a tent either on the ground or otherwise vs. pulling everything out on the ground or on the roof just to sleep inside.

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S JL 2 DR 1999 Chevy Suburban K1500
Here is my contribution to this thread: The day after I got my 2DR Sport S I pulled the back seat out and will only reinstall it when I sell or trade the Jeep. I then put a Rhino rack on top with an RTT, Changed the front bumper to steel with a QT 15K winch. Next came the Genesis Dual battery setup and wiring to run my ICECO rerefer. Then a Trailrax on the passenger side to hold my gas jug. Then came a Cobra CB, and a Teyes CC2L+ head unit to replace the 5" unit.

I then took an 8000 mile jaunt using the Trans America Trail from here in Maine to Moab and return over the period of a month last June. The trip went with no problems and returned home perfectly satisfied with everything but one item.

I discovered that the RTT was fine when packing up and moving every day, but when camped for several days kept you tied to the campsite unless you needed to go take a quick trip the the store of just go for a ride. Having to pack up the RTT and risk losing your campsite was a PITA.

A week camping and travelling in the Maine North Woods increased my dissatisfaction wit having a tent on top of the Jeep. This summer I mounted the RTT on a trailer for extended camping, with the option of putting it back on top of the Jeep if I want to take to the road and just travel again.

Her are the before and after pictures:
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone with a 2 Door Overland/Camping Setup? IMG_20220418_130145083_HDR

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone with a 2 Door Overland/Camping Setup? High Camp with Earth Pic
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone with a 2 Door Overland/Camping Setup? Roamer Picture
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone with a 2 Door Overland/Camping Setup? IMG_20220418_130214707_HDR

OP
OP

TheDantee

First Name
Dante
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice rig. Same question as @Poordad does it have issues offroad carrying all that gear? Also have you used the tent in the winter and if so how does it hold up?

Im torn between the same thing kinda except only reason I want a 4 Door is for the diesel. 2 door can hold a fridge with some storage with the backseats remove and a smaller RTT.

Here is my contribution to this thread: The day after I got my 2DR Sport S I pulled the back seat out and will only reinstall it when I sell or trade the Jeep. I then put a Rhino rack on top with an RTT, Changed the front bumper to steel with a QT 15K winch. Next came the Genesis Dual battery setup and wiring to run my ICECO rerefer. Then a Trailrax on the passenger side to hold my gas jug. Then came a Cobra CB, and a Teyes CC2L+ head unit to replace the 5" unit.
Sweet Rig. Do you worry about the Sport S axles at all when carrying the extra weight while offroading? Have you tried winter camping with that tent if so how does it hold up?

I discovered that the RTT was fine when packing up and moving every day, but when camped for several days kept you tied to the campsite unless you needed to go take a quick trip the the store of just go for a ride. Having to pack up the RTT and risk losing your campsite was a PITA.

A week camping and travelling in the Maine North Woods increased my dissatisfaction wit having a tent on top of the Jeep. This summer I mounted the RTT on a trailer for extended camping, with the option of putting it back on top of the Jeep if I want to take to the road and just travel again.
Do you not find it a pain to carry the trailer all the time or are you just camping at campgrounds and leaving it there?

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S JL 2 DR 1999 Chevy Suburban K1500
I don't worry about the axles. My off-roading is not rock crawling. The added weight is not that much. Rack=80 lbs, RTT=160 lbs, Refer=40 lbs. Loss of back seat - 80 lbs. No passenger - ?

I rarely if ever use campgrounds. Here is where I do most of my camping, and trout fishing. https://www.northmainewoods.org/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Maine_Woods

Roughly 5500 square miles with no towns or paved roads.

My season pass is $75 and since I'm over 70, no entrance fee.

Sponsored

coloshoveler

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 4runner, 2007 corvette
In response to those asking about center of gravity with my roof top tent setup, I do think about it but have not experienced any issues. Some of the Moab trails are hellishly steep but I was always careful to avoid any extreme side tilt situations. Being top heavy was a constant concern and I did not want to test the limits.

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜94 YJ, ā€˜21 JLR, ā€˜22 JLUR XR, ā€˜23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
Went back and forth on an RTT. Ended up going this route after concerns of being too tippy. Concerns confirmed first time wheeling with 3.5ā€ lift and 37s on Chinaman Gulch.

Camped outside with a tent and cot, but still need to test taking the totes out and sleeping inside on the plywood platform. Legs will rest on center console.

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone with a 2 Door Overland/Camping Setup? C9C2601A-467B-47F3-87BC-12D8980FE693

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I realize the four-door is heavier, but why would the COG be significantly different between the two-door and four-door?

OP
OP

TheDantee

First Name
Dante
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Went back and forth on an RTT. Ended up going this route after concerns of being too tippy. Concerns confirmed first time wheeling with 3.5ā€ lift and 37s on Chinaman Gulch.

Camped outside with a tent and cot, but still need to test taking the totes out and sleeping inside on the plywood platform. Legs will rest on center console.

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone with a 2 Door Overland/Camping Setup? C9C2601A-467B-47F3-87BC-12D8980FE693
Any reason why to carry the spare tire inside than on the tailgate?

I realize the four-door is heavier, but why would the COG be significantly different between the two-door and four-door?
With a RTT and the shorter wheelbase climbing steeper grades could cause the jeep to roll backwards.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I guess I was thinking the COG was (relatively) still in the same place, regardless of it being two or four doors; although I get what you're saying.
Sponsored