Sponsored

Anyone using the Thule/Tepui HyBox?

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
We wanted something super easy to setup and got a nice discount on a Tepui Hybox, but trying to decide how we want to mount it now. We are looking at the Maximus-3 with a Pioneer Platform or the Rhino Rack vortex bars, but I'm a little worried about the front overhang and the tent being stable. Since the tent will be spending 90% of its life on the roof, I don't think we'll get much from having the platform (the tent will cover pretty much the whole thing), but doesn't seem like there is a bar option for the Maximus.

Anyone have any experience with the long hardtop tents and either of those? I don't like the systems like Gobi that mount to the front of the vehicle as much. Were you able to attach the tent to the Maximus-3 platform without too many issues? Seems like there may not be much clearance between the platform and the roof.

Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, we finally got this thing mounted (pics to follow eventually). We ended up going with the Rhino Rack Backbone / Vortex system. The only real issue we had is that the 59" bars stick out quite a bit. The middle bar ends up right in the middle of where the ladder mounts and blocks it. There doesn't really seem to be a workaround from Tepui, so we removed the middle crossbar for the moment.

But if you haven't read the Rhino Rack manual, they aren't very clear about the dynamic weight capacity of their system. Even though they sell a 2 bar system, they only dynamic tested the 3 bar system at 219 pounds. Their published website figures are actually pretty misleading because the 265 pounds is the entire system, not cargo capacity. The Pioneer platforms can only carry up to 191 lbs according to the manual, 138 pounds off-road. So be careful using them with a tent.

We ended up ordering a shorter 54" crossbar for the middle because I still want the ends to stick out at the ends to mount an awning. Waiting for that to arrive and may order a 3rd set of Tepui mounts when they get back in stock, just to really nail the damn thing down.

The instructions for mounting the Vortex aren't great either. You get a spring washer and washer with the mounts, but you are supposed to use them installing the spacer. That leaves the nuts and washers that came with the backbone to mount the bars. But normally when you install those on their other mounts you should have a spring washer as well. I'm going to add spring washers now, but just annoyed I have to hit the shops. The instructions for mounting the Pioneer platform seemed much better.

The tent itself is pretty nice, comfortable mattress, the cargo mode works pretty good, and very sturdy. Looking forward to taking it out camping soon. We got ours during the REI sale, so we got a great price.

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase
But if you haven't read the Rhino Rack manual, they aren't very clear about the dynamic weight capacity of their system. Even though they sell a 2 bar system, they only dynamic tested the 3 bar system at 219 pounds. Their published website figures are actually pretty misleading because the 265 pounds is the entire system, not cargo capacity. The Pioneer platforms can only carry up to 191 lbs according to the manual, 138 pounds off-road. So be careful using them with a tent.
This is very interesting. I have researched the backbone system with a pioneer platform. I never could find any numbers except for the "265" figure which is ambiguous. I also cannot find any info on how much the components weigh. I think one of the platforms stated about 45 pounds. Can you post photos of the manual? Most of my questions have gone unanswered regardless of attempts.

OP
OP

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is very interesting. I have researched the backbone system with a pioneer platform. I never could find any numbers except for the "265" figure which is ambiguous. I also cannot find any info on how much the components weigh. I think one of the platforms stated about 45 pounds. Can you post photos of the manual? Most of my questions have gone unanswered regardless of attempts.
This is the manual that came with it:

https://www.rackattack.com/product-instructions/rjlb1.pdf

OP
OP

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is what we’ve finally ended up with. Replaced the middle 59” bar with a 54” version so we can mount the ladder. It seemed sturdy with 2 bars, but much happier having 3 positions of support now. Will eventually add a third set of Thule/Tepui mounts to really nail it down.

Can still open the freedom panels, but it covers a bit to the back. Just have to slide them forward a bit after you release them.

Haven’t had a chance to take it out camping yet, but I like how easily it breaks down to a massive cargo box and seems pretty comfy. Lots of storage pockets inside and opening/closing is easy. Wait for the REI sale, damn good price and free delivery to the local shop.

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone using the Thule/Tepui HyBox? 33C6C7DD-9A7E-4F06-B8BC-E2195105C3FE
Sponsored