Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wanderingobservations.com
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport S 2 Door
Has anyone bought and used one of these? - https://rubiconep.com/packages

I have been trying to find of a solution that works for my particular situation as I have a two door soft top and I have been trying to find some solution that would allow me to go camping but keep as much outside the jeep as possible but I also can't have a rooftop tent as I live in downtown Chicago and my garage has limited clearance (one of the main reasons I only did a 1.5" lift and 33" tires). This looks like a very cool, if incredibly expensive option. Wanted to see if anyone had any experience with them before I just go back to a good old standard tent.
Sponsored

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
I have a sky one touch so Iā€™m interested to hear peoples opinions. Also nice you can detach and go off roading. Seems cool. If the tents are decent then 2800 isnā€™t bad. Remember for roof youā€™d be buying a rhino rack or equiv for a grand.

Dave928

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 03 Silverado, 88 Porsche 928 S4
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
seems like a lot of hassle just to be 2 feet off the ground. normal tent please...

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I didn't see the weight shown, but like the concept. A spare tire would move the tongue weight further back, meaning more leverage, changing balance point. Plus, rear access off limits with this in place.
A quick up/ down T4 Gazelle, with standing headroom, is compact and so much less expensive, at $ 300, or less, on Sale

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
While I agree that a simple ground tent is by far cheaper and easier and is what I use the convenience of a flat dry floor, built in mattress is nice. And once deployed this one you can drive away from. Itā€™s a neat idea.
On the site it says 600lbs which is kinda low in my opinion for a rooftop. Iā€™m 280, wife, kid, weight of tent. Thats cutting it close. Woulda been nice to see 800 which is what most roof racks can hold static.

Sponsored

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
So hereā€™s my thoughts on rack systems in general.

internal frame racks.
pros.
High weight rating.
Versatile to carry crap.
low added weight.
tent up high.

Cons.
Permanent added weight/drag/noise
More top heavy.
Price
Install
Once tent setup canā€™t use the Jeep.
Only for hardtops

External Frame Gobi
Pros
Compatible with all tops.
Versatile
No Permanent Mods.

Cons
Heavy, drag, noise.
No drilling but still pretty permanent.
Price
Install
Topheavy
Once tent set up youā€™re still stuck.

Hitch system
Pros
Easy on/off, off vehicle when not in us
Not top heavy
Cheaper
Less drag on the highway.
Faster tent setup close to ground.
Detach and off road your Jeep.

Cons
600lb static weight.
Cant use bigger tents.
tent covers cover the top, bottom wide open traveling. Iā€™m curious how much water will acumulate inside the tent cover driving down the road in a downpour.

Honestly beed up the weight rating to 800, handle a larger footprint tent, and design a cover that covers the whole assembly and slides over the top when upright.

OP
OP
tkelly11

tkelly11

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wanderingobservations.com
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport S 2 Door

internal frame racks.
pros.
High weight rating.
Versatile to carry crap.
low added weight.
tent up high.

Cons.
More top heavy.
Price
Install
Only for hardtops

External Frame Gobi
Pros
Versatile
No Permanent Mods.

Cons
Heavy, drag, noise.
Price
Install
Topheavy

Hitch system
Pros
Not top heavy
Cheaper

Cons
600lb static weight.
Cant use bigger tents.
tent covers cover the top, bottom wide open traveling. Iā€™m curious how much water will acumulate inside the tent cover driving down the road in a downpour.

Honestly beed up the weight rating to 800, handle a larger footprint tent, and design a cover that covers the whole assembly and slides over the top when upright.
Yeah I feel it is almost a really great solution, I am still very tempted to give it a go. I think rooftop tents look like a great idea but in reality there are just a couple of practical issues (plus my soft top) that stop me going that route. I just love how quick the Rubicon EP looks to setup and leaves the vehicle free to do other things. I am very much a man of convenience! :)

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
Any pics on back of JL? Is it like a big windsail on back?
Good thoughts @DocTwinkie but my original thoughts and concern are still there. This thing is probably not the pettiest in a wind tunnel. Does it tuck up nice and neat behind the JL? I doubt that since it has to be behind the tire which already is out there from the body. This would seem to create some drag.

I do like the concept - kind of like the lunar lander. Drop and deploy. Off the ground - but not so far that when I go to the bathroom in the night i am only falling from a couple of feet and not the roof of the vehicle.

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
Good thoughts @DocTwinkie but my original thoughts and concern are still there. This thing is probably not the pettiest in a wind tunnel. Does it tuck up nice and neat behind the JL? I doubt that since it has to be behind the tire which already is out there from the body. This would seem to create some drag.

I do like the concept - kind of like the lunar lander. Drop and deploy. Off the ground - but not so far that when I go to the bathroom in the night i am only falling from a couple of feet and not the roof of the vehicle.
Iā€™m by no means an expert on aerodynamics but I believe the brick in front of it will take the brunt of the air hit. If anything I think it will be the same if not better than a tent mounted on the roof which just makes the Jeep a taller brick.

I messaged them and they seemed confused that anyone had a rack that would hold more than 600lbs which is the ā€œindustry standardā€ and asked for examples which I provided. I canā€™t find any rack in the Jeep/truck world that holds less than 800lbs.

Sponsored

Grateful1

First Name
Grateful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 1998 TJ Sport 2011 Extreme Camper
Occupation
HR Manager

internal frame racks.
pros.
High weight rating.
Versatile to carry crap.
low added weight.
tent up high.

Cons.
More top heavy.
Price
Install
Only for hardtops

External Frame Gobi
Pros
Versatile
No Permanent Mods.

Cons
Heavy, drag, noise.
Price
Install
Topheavy

Hitch system
Pros
Not top heavy
Cheaper

Cons
600lb static weight.
Cant use bigger tents.

Or a pull behind. I refurbā€™d a 2011 Extreme Trail Rated Camper.

ebelp

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (bright white)
Vehicle Showcase
This is a really neat idea. With a little ingenuity, you could definitely design/build something that accomplishes the same thing at a fraction of the cost. The spine of the thing isn't that much different than how those hitch bicycle carriers work. Just need a beefy section that attaches to the hitch with an upright arm that swivels down when you want to lay it all down. Then building the feet that attach to the mounts on the RTT would be straight forward. I swear I have it all planned out in my head haha

It's definitely a great option for those who need extra roof space for storage, and for those who want to be able to set up the tent and still be able to drive the Jeep.
Sponsored