Sponsored

Anyone using suction cups to mount their dune flag?

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

Just curious - have seen some nice ones.
Sponsored

lillange

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Just curious - have seen some nice ones.
Do you have link to these that you are talking about?

I am trying to figure out best way to mount my flag. Retailers have JL specific ones that mount to the tailgate but for $80 seems crazy. I have the flag already but with stock bumpers so really no where to mount it.

Looking for suggestions.

Eloib

First Name
Eloi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
There are clamps to mount to the tow hooks.

I got them once but the ones they had available were kind of shitty, my flag fell hundreds of times (I might have gone through ATV only trails though, oopsie)

That being said, I just basically bent it to get a better grip of the tow hook, and it stayed out for the rest of the day.

OP
OP
Kenny

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

Do you have link to these that you are talking about?

I am trying to figure out best way to mount my flag. Retailers have JL specific ones that mount to the tailgate but for $80 seems crazy. I have the flag already but with stock bumpers so really no where to mount it.

Looking for suggestions.
Sticky whips

I’m still looking for the best solution

Sponsored

JeepNYak

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Has anyone tried the sticky whips? Looks like great idea, just wondering if they hold

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
Most parks, that I go to, that require flags; require the flag to be mounted on front of the vehicle. Bumper is the place it has to be. To get large sheet metal on a Jeep for the suction cup, it won't be up front.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
I use this antenna mount and a standard air coupler and plug. Coupler is mounted to the bracket with a 3/8" NPT nut, and flag is shoved into the plug with some epoxy. I run a small blacked out American flag on o 3' CB antenna daily and it hasn't failed me yet, even at highway speeds. I'll update with a pic later this afternoon.

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
I got the 🇺🇸 one with the red quick decoupler, and it's a great and well made product.

https://www.handyflag.com/
I love these, though I have never ordered one. I only carry my trail flag when I will be needing it as its a 2 piece rigid pole. So I thought "Handy Flag" would be the solution. But I need them to add a segment to their poles. Their specs:

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone using suction cups to mount their dune flag? 1649941595721

Michigan Sand Dune policy (and defacto standard for other parks in Michigan):

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone using suction cups to mount their dune flag? 1649941675016

So that is 120". If you attach the Handy Flag to front bumper at a generous 24" off the ground, you are still too short. They have test bars, so I am not taking the chance.

I got my flag from a now defunct "Michigan Offroad", but here is similar model:
https://386fab.com/3-piece-motorcycle-flag/
(their hypertag is wrong, it links to a 2 peice pole)

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I love these, though I have never ordered one. I only carry my trail flag when I will be needing it as its a 2 piece rigid pole. So I thought "Handy Flag" would be the solution. But I need them to add a segment to their poles. Their specs:

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone using suction cups to mount their dune flag? 1649941675016

Michigan Sand Dune policy (and defacto standard for other parks in Michigan):

So that is 120". If you attach the Handy Flag to front bumper at a generous 24" off the ground, you are still too short. They have test bars, so I am not taking the chance.

(their hypertag is wrong, it links to a 2 peice pole)
I don't see why Handy Flag couldn't make a longer model to support Michigan and any other states that have minimum height requirements. Especially, if it's pointed out that there's currently no other company doing so.

Might be worth reaching out to them about extending their customer base. If 8.5ish feet would suffice, all that would be needed is a 4th section of pole and a slightly longer internal bungee vs having to offer a dedicated 2nd set of longer poles and storage bag.

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
I've been struggling to find a flag and mount that meets the requirement of Little Sahara State Park:

All vehicles must have a whip attached to the ORV that extends 10 feet from the ground to the top of the whip. All vehicles must have a 6" x 12" flag attached within 10" of the whip's tip. It must be bright solid orange in color.​

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
(their hypertag is wrong, it links to a 2 piece pole)
FWIW, I asked them about their product.
I got a high quality response that I'd like to go ahead and share...

jmccorm said:
Will this be enough to meet the requirements of the Little Sahara State Park if used on a 2021 Jeep Wrangler?

REQUIREMENTS:
1. All vehicles must have a whip attached to the ORV that extends 10 feet from the ground to the top of the whip.
2. All vehicles must have a 6" x 12" flag attached within 10" of the whip's tip.
3. It must be bright solid orange in color.
This flag pole will be 8ft tall and come with a quick disconnect mount that can be drilled into any bumper.
It will meet the rest of the requirements

If you would like another option other than drilling into the bumper we have a $25 mount that attaches to a factory jeep front tow hook.

If you’d like to leave me a phone number and appropriate hours to call I can call you tomorrow and walk you through your options.

Thank You,
Brad Pelton
Shop Manager
386 South Street
Rochester, MI 48307
Office: 248-963-1172
Cell: 248-736-0964
www.386fab.com

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
FWIW, I asked them about their product.
I got a high quality response that I'd like to go ahead and share...

This flag pole will be 8ft tall and come with a quick disconnect mount that can be drilled into any bumper.
It will meet the rest of the requirements

If you would like another option other than drilling into the bumper we have a $25 mount that attaches to a factory jeep front tow hook.

If you’d like to leave me a phone number and appropriate hours to call I can call you tomorrow and walk you through your options.

Thank You,
Brad Pelton
Shop Manager
386 South Street
Rochester, MI 48307
Office: 248-963-1172
Cell: 248-736-0964
www.386fab.com
Yeah the 386 Fab is a good product... my friend has it on his jeep. He has a tube on his front bumper that we added a light mount clamp and put the flag on it.. works great. The 2 piece fiberglass pole is the way to go. It just isn't as compact that I keep it in the garage unless needed.

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
I got the 🇺🇸 one with the red quick decoupler, and it's a great and well made product.

https://www.handyflag.com/

Screenshot_20220413-194742_Chrome.jpg
Agree 100%...and for those with the MOPAR tailgate reinforcement, it includes a 1/2" hole that easily accommodates the mounting stud for this flag kit. I was a little concerned that the threaded end wouldn't be long enough to extend all the way through the hole and allow the nut to screw on fully. However, it was just able to screw on all the way, and the stud is very secure:

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone using suction cups to mount their dune flag? IMG_4060.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone using suction cups to mount their dune flag? IMG_4061.JPG

My only complaint about the kit, is that the flag is glued onto the pole, which makes it difficult to change out. While the company offers a fun selection of flags, it's not easy to swap them out on a regular basis as I had hoped. Otherwise, it is a great product and should last for a long time.
Sponsored

Last edited: