Sponsored

Anyone Using Spacers with 2" Mopar Lift???

Seanst34

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3018 Jeep JLUR 2.0 L 4 Cylinder Turbo on 37s with 2” Mopar Lift, Inginity QX60, and BMW R Nine T Scrambler
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the 2" Mopar lift and I'm generally pleased with it. I had a 3.5" lift on my JKUR with 35" tires but no need with the new Ruby high clearance fenders. However with 35" tires the JLUR looks a little short to me (37" to come). Additionally I installed a winch, lights, and a roof rack (Evo Trail Rack at 80 lbs) which added a significant amount of weight to the Jeep and I don't feel as if I'm getting the full height benefit after considering the sag. I'm thinking about adding at least .5" spring spacers front and back. Possibly 1" or 3/4" in the front and .5" in the rear to level her out. My question being is anyone running spring spacers with a 2" Mopar lift? If so how's the handling and performance? With that small amount of height added I wouldn't think it would result in any additional degradation in steering or handling but you never know when you start messing with the Geometry. I don't want to get into changing out track bars, steering stabilizers, ect….
Sponsored

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
I installed the 2" Mopar lift and I'm generally pleased with it. I had a 3.5" lift on my JKUR with 35" tires but no need with the new Ruby high clearance fenders. However with 35" tires the JLUR looks a little short to me (37" to come). Additionally I installed a winch, lights, and a roof rack (Evo Trail Rack at 80 lbs) which added a significant amount of weight to the Jeep and I don't feel as if I'm getting the full height benefit after considering the sag. I'm thinking about adding at least .5" spring spacers front and back. Possibly 1" or 3/4" in the front and .5" in the rear to level her out. My question being is anyone running spring spacers with a 2" Mopar lift? If so how's the handling and performance? With that small amount of height added I wouldn't think it would result in any additional degradation in steering or handling but you never know when you start messing with the Geometry. I don't want to get into changing out track bars, steering stabilizers, ect….

Great question... I have a similar issue with a winch, M416 trailer, and a 110lb 37" beadlock spare on the tail gate...

I am considering airbags to level things out and give me some adjustability... I called airspring to pick their brains.. but not much help as they only want to sell a "load helper"...

My intent is to use like the RAM 1500 kit to raise, lower and level... the JL.. but I need to time to investigate - research such approach...

let me know your thoughts..

TC

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
If your suspension fully articulates and reaches most of your shock travel what would be the point in lifting your jeep higher ?

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
If your suspension fully articulates and reaches most of your shock travel what would be the point in lifting your jeep higher ?
looks.... and I have bottom out a few more times than I like... I am not talking about lifting much more.. maybe an inch.. the way it sits now with the mopoar lift.. there is about 3.5 inches on upward travel and 7 inches of droop when the jl is unloaded.

OP
OP
Seanst34

Seanst34

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3018 Jeep JLUR 2.0 L 4 Cylinder Turbo on 37s with 2” Mopar Lift, Inginity QX60, and BMW R Nine T Scrambler
Vehicle Showcase
No
Not sure what your point is here. Half inch spring spacers are not going to reduce articulation engineered into the lift. The limiting factor is wheel clearance and there are 1.5” to 2” bump stops included in the kit for exactly this reason as without the bump stops the springs would compress to the point your wheels take off your fenders. The point of a basic spring and shock lift is ground clearance and wheel clearance unless your doing a long arm kit installation or something fancier.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Seanst34

Seanst34

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Great question... I have a similar issue with a winch, M416 trailer, and a 110lb 37" beadlock spare on the tail gate...

I am considering airbags to level things out and give me some adjustability... I called airspring to pick their brains.. but not much help as they only want to sell a "load helper"...

My intent is to use like the RAM 1500 kit to raise, lower and level... the JL.. but I need to time to investigate - research such approach...

let me know your thoughts..

TC
I don’t have any experience with air bags however I did install 3/4” spacers on the front of my JKUR when I installed a 3.5” Rubicon Express Sport Lift. I had an extremely heavy steel bumper and winch setup to deal with and new the sag in the front would add a significant rake to the stance. Everything worked out well but that lift came with a longer track bar. I didn’t expect the need on the JL because the stock OEM steel bumper I’m runnin doesn’t weigh anything and with the synthetic rope the winch weight is significantly reduced. Let me know how things turn out if the air bag trick works.

OP
OP
Seanst34

Seanst34

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I may have misunderstood your reply. I’m not trying to get “additional height”. I’m trying to get the sag out of the system with caused by the added weight or accessories

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
I may have misunderstood your reply. I’m not trying to get “additional height”. I’m trying to get the sag out of the system with caused by the added weight or accessories
Ohh , I see , then yes spacers will work fine. Let this also be a lesson to folks with “dual rate” coils. Start adding weight and that rate on the top goes into bind and turns it all into a single rate.

OP
OP
Seanst34

Seanst34

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ohh , I see , then yes spacers will work fine. Let this also be a lesson to folks with “dual rate” coils. Start adding weight and that rate on the top goes into bind and turns it all into a single rate.
Interesting...explain please

DeVoTee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 JKU Rubicon, 17 JKU Sport on Roids, 18 JLU Rubicon, 19 JL Rubicon ordered, RAM, Range Rover
The first portion/softer portion of the spring collapses/compresses onto itself, so the only functioning portion of the spring is the stiffer section.... sag and crappy ride.

Sponsored

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Dual rate, variable rate, linear rate - if you exceed the spring rate it doesn’t matter, problem being stiffer/taller coils don’t give “factory ride” quality. Adding a spacer to a compressed coil will give you height but won’t fix the compression.

OP
OP
Seanst34

Seanst34

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Does a quarter to a half inch of sag really adversely affect the performance of the springs that drastically? I haven’t noticed a rougher ride but of course it’s a matter of perception. I would expect designers of these kits to expect and design for added accessories and luggage/passenger weight. I mean any Jeep will run noticeable lower with a full pack load and four passengers over just a driver and no payload. The 80lbs of luggage rack weight added to the rear of the Jeep is probably a third of the expected rear passenger weight for a four door.
Sponsored