Sponsored

Anyone using a Hobart MIG Welder?

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Have you used an HF Vulcan welder? There are so many good options that are outside of my budget right now. Someday I'll go to a higher level welder. So far the little Hobart 190 I decided on is doing excellent.
Yes, my friend bought one and I went over to test drive it. I was shocked at how well it MIG welded. I didn't try TIG or stick so I can't judge that part, but MIG was really really good.
Sponsored

GraceGlover

First Name
Grace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion 2017
Don't you think that this is a step that turns your usual hobby into an already professional activity? This is a great way to make money, because an income-generating hobby is the dream of millions of people around the world. So think about it, because at any time you can pass a skills test to become a licensed welder. You always have a chance to change your life for the better, so make up your mind! Personally, that's exactly what I did, so now I'm happy to do my favorite thing, turning it into the meaning of my life.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
I have HH 140 and love it..... I find it works well with materials up to 1/4 inch.... However, I needed to add dedicated circuit breaker circuit (30 amp) because the power draw in spec sheet is a little deceiving, to run full heat (step 4 on my older model) kept popping the 20 amp circuit it was plugged into (as per Hobart spec sheet)... Unit actually calculates out to require about 24 amps to run full tilt.... Other than that its worked flawlessly on all the projects I have tried... Use almost exclusive solid wire and C25 shield gas... I find solid wire and shield gas cleaner than fluxcore but to me it's personal preference ... There has been a few times (over last 5 years) I had wished I had gotten the 210 MVP but overall I will probably keep the HH 140... The possibility of need more "welder" will depend on scale of your projects...
I already had a dedicated 220 outlet installed in my workshop bay since I already had a large Lincoln stick welder. It's a great welder for heavy duty welding, but is incapable of sheetmetal welding I'm planning for my 76 F100 project. That's where the Hobart 190 I have now comes in handy.

I would have gotten a 210 MVP too, but it was outside of my budget at the time. Very pleased with how the the 190 does right now. No complaints.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I have a Hobart Handler 135 that I bought refurbished back in 2002. That thing is a champ and I have used it for tons of projects and even for building pit carts for racing.

JP29

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
Don't you think that this is a step that turns your usual hobby into an already professional activity? This is a great way to make money, because an income-generating hobby is the dream of millions of people around the world. So think about it, because at any time you can pass a skills test to become a licensed welder. You always have a chance to change your life for the better, so make up your mind! Personally, that's exactly what I did, so now I'm happy to do my favorite thing, turning it into the meaning of my life.
Not to detail this thread, but as someone dissatisfied with their current career path, how did getting into welding as a job go? I've taken an intro to welding course and quite enjoyed it a few years back.

Sponsored

TimInce

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Hey! I understand the situation perfectly. Even if I haven't welded for a long time like you, I understand how difficult it is to switch from one welding machine to another without knowing any information. I've been a welder for over a year. I never thought I would be a welder, but after finding out on https://weldingnearyou.com/salary/ that a welder's salaries are so high, that motivated me. I started welding for the first few months with a flux-cored welder. Using it wasn't very easy, so I switched to MIG. It is a very good welder that I recommend. With so much practice, you will surely notice a majority difference, and you will like using MIG much more.

Last edited:

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I used to weld long ago, then took another career path. I'm close to buying a machine, looks like a Millermatic 211 is at the top of my list right now.

All this talk reminds me of a scene from one of my favorite movies.

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I used to weld long ago, then took another career path. I'm close to buying a machine, looks like a Millermatic 211 is at the top of my list right now.

All this talk reminds me of a scene from one of my favorite movies.

I like that movie and this scene also. I have nowhere near the welding skills of Llewelyn Moss though lol.
Been welding off and on for 34 years, but had very little professional training. Mig welding is very forgiving and I do excellent with it. Stick welding is not my thing and it shows, but I can make a weld that will not fail easily.

Miller welders are hard to beat. Used them for over 10 years and I would own one right now if price wasn't a factor.

HBDiesel

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wrangler 2018 Tundra 2018 4Runner 69 Chevelle
I have a Holbart 190 for a few years it’s been a great machine for the money.

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I have a Holbart 190 for a few years it’s been a great machine for the money.
That's good to hear. Mine has been used very little, but good so far.

Sponsored

Turbo_punkn

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Isn’t Hobart somehow related to Miller? Hobart has been around for many years and I don’t think you could go wrong with one. Also I wouldn’t totally knock the 110 welders, Miller makes some pretty decent ones. I work at a heavy industrial plant and they’re great out in the field when you don’t have and electric welder hookups or it’s a pain to drag leads from a gas welder all the way up to where your working.

Last year I picked up a Lincoln power mig for the garage. Does stick, mig, tig, and spool gun. I like that I can use it on 110 or 220 so I can take it anywhere.
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone using a Hobart MIG Welder? 0CC4B319-CF32-43A7-A763-91EA73E6C848

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Isn’t Hobart somehow related to Miller? Hobart has been around for many years and I don’t think you could go wrong with one. Also I wouldn’t totally knock the 110 welders, Miller makes some pretty decent ones. I work at a heavy industrial plant and they’re great out in the field when you don’t have and electric welder hookups or it’s a pain to drag leads from a gas welder all the way up to where your working.

Last year I picked up a Lincoln power mig for the garage. Does stick, mig, tig, and spool gun. I like that I can use it on 110 or 220 so I can take it anywhere.
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone using a Hobart MIG Welder? 0CC4B319-CF32-43A7-A763-91EA73E6C848
That's a nice setup you have. I have a dedicated larger lincoln stick welder so I didn't want or need a combo unit just for my home projects.

Yes, I'm pretty sure at one time and maybe still do see Miller stamped on some replacement parts for a Hobart.

I do wish my Hobart had dual voltages. No more than I do though it's really not a big deal. If I need to weld I just have to weld in my workshop bay where my 220V outlet is. If I was in a position that required lots of flexibility then I would get a 110V unit that was dedicated to those needs and leave the 220V unit setup alone.
Sponsored