Sponsored

Anyone using 35/12.50 or 315/70 all terrains for snow?

MntsRcalln

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2011 Dodge Ram Bighorn, 1990 Totoya 4x4 Mod
How does the wider tire handle ?
So far so good on wet and dry. Very smooth and quite tire. I haven't been in snow with them yet but everyone I know who has them highly recommends them for all conditions. I have run all types of AT and Mud terrain tires in snow, wide and narrow. As others have noted, a narrower tire is going to cut snow better than a wider one. You are displacing much less with a narrow tire. Back in the day I watched guys with narrow "Buckshots" run circles around guys with 40's in snow. But, a decent 12.5x35 will get you where you need to go unless you are out playing.
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
The more I think about it the more that 35x10.5x17 is going to be my next tire size, for what I do I don't need the wider tread. Like the fact that I'll still get the clearance of a true 35 but able to cut through the slop or snow without as much resistance. I'll have to check around and see what's available in that size, those Kenda Klever R/Ts are at the top of my list as of now :)

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
Dominic,

I'm running the Goodyear Duratrac All-Terrain 35x12.5x17's and really am enjoying their performance. They have the 3 Peak Rating and so far have been great in the rain, mud and snow of northern Colorado.

I've also put a lot of off-road mileage on these puppies aired down to 15psi. While their 'E' Load rating is certainly not everyone's favorite ride, I really do appreciate the extra durability especially off-road. On-road, I typically ride them at 38psi, that's the sweet spot for the chalk test. However, in the winter with the deeper snow, 32psi is my magic value.

I've got about 15K on my current set, rotated 3 times (all 5 wheels), and they work just like they had new. I do have chains (required in the Colorado high country) but find I only need them due to the law on the roads where chain inspection is mandatory specifically due to conditions. Typically I-70 and the busier state roads.

Otherwise never a problem (so far). I'm certainly not a hot-rod with my lifted Sport but I don't granny around in it either. But I never have any anxiety going out in my rig in any weather.

Lastly, as far as their width, I also mounted these on -12mm offset wheels. With the 4.5 in backspacing I do have a little wider stance than most. While a narrower tire may work better and be a more pin-point solution within the most extreme conditions, I believe I've found the correct balance for both on/off-road, summer/winter and overall comfort/performance ride and handling.

Highly recommend them for anyone looking for the nearly do anything, go anywhere all purpose tire.

Jay

IMG_20200606_132713.jpg

IMG_20201021_092800.jpg

IMG_20200605_180828.jpg

IMG_20200605_180803.jpg

IMG_20200801_200145.jpg
What chains (ATDs) do you have? I just realized that I need to pick up a set before winter really hits us here. Additionally, do you chain up 2 or all 4?

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
You will never own a better tire for snow in your life than Duratracs. Non dedicated snow tires that is. The KO2s and Wildpeaks are good tires but they aren't Duratracs in snow or slush. They'll fool you for one and also do great in rain, dirt, mud and are better than mud terrains for pavement driving.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Trident1231

First Name
Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler sahara
Occupation
Dental hygienist
I have had Falken Wildpeak AT3 on two Jeep’s now they worked great year round quiet great in snow. Recently put on a set of Kenda Klever R/T in a 35/10.50/17 on a 2019 wrangler JLU. Recommended by a friend who runs them on a Taco.

EA13E91C-17D3-47E2-BFAB-55358FC18307.jpeg
He can't be your friend is he has a taco! Lol jk, thanks for the input

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
What chains (ATDs) do you have? I just realized that I need to pick up a set before winter really hits us here. Additionally, do you chain up 2 or all 4?
John,

You have to be a little careful. The type of chains will depend on the space you have between the tire and flare. If in doubt, a cable set or nothing at all is the safest.

For me, I have a 3" lift and have room for a set of Diamond Back LTs from Quality Chain Corp. I like these for the really easy install and removal. I have it down to about 5 minutes per tire depending on the conditions.

Also according to the 2019 JL Owners manual, it specifies to chain the rear tires only. With my Duratracs, I have not had any traction issues up front. My front tires track and steer well in either 2/4wd. Of course wearing the chains I'm typically in 4 low. No joke, 25mph is top speed.

Also, I've only needed the chains when required by law and I needed to be out for some stupid reason like work. Like most normal people, if it's a real good blizzard I'll likely wait it out. I have a pretty capable rig but I'm not an idiot.

Jay

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
IMO Duratracs are your best bet. The General A/T X is, imo, better than the KO2.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why people like the KO2 other than the name/brand recognition/it's what the bro's use, and the availability. Had them on a personal rig of mine a few years back, and had tread block break down after just 15,000 miles or less...airing them down -even just occasionally, and not very low- trashed them in short order. I didn't feel like they did that great in the snow. Chalked it up to me having a one time bad experience...but After having a vehicle fleet I had to manage for a while, I completely ditched the KO2. They didn't hold up to weight. They didnt hold up to sand. They were slick in light mud. They shed their carcasses. The tread blocks broke down and disintegrated or broke off. The belts broke and came through the tread. The problems went on and on and on and on and on. After a year, I pulled the KO2's off all 30 vehicles and switched to the Duratrac, Cooper Discovery, and General A/T X (depending on supplier availability at the time)and all the issues went away. The Duratracs did the best in the mud and snow by far, the Generals lasted the longest. It was too uniform and too wide spread across too many vehicles for too long a period of time to be a one off issue. I have started to question whether or not people who are happy with the KO2 actually put them through much hard use at all.

Duratrac will be my next personal tire for sure.

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
I know we are talking about tires on the JL, but a word of caution about the Duratracs. They are AMAZING tires for snow/slush/ice......but be wary about putting them on a diesel truck. I had 5 tires have a belt slip and require replacement in one year of use. Eventually Discount Tires replaced them with a set of Nitto ExoGrapplers and I never had another problem. The Exo’s are 3 Peak rated, but not as good as the Duratracs in the same conditions. I’d try them again on the JL if I lived in the snow, but won’t go near them if I needed tires on the diesel tow rig.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I cannot for the life of me figure out why people like the KO2 other than the name/brand recognition/it's what the bro's use, and the availability. .... .... I have started to question whether or not people who are happy with the KO2 actually put them through much hard use at all.
I had them on my wife's Grand Cherokee, and really liked them. Although as you mentioned, I didn't put them through much. It went off road a handful of times, but I didn't put them through anything serious.
Although I will say they handled the snow okay. Not as good as the Duratrac, but they weren't what I'd consider bad in the snow either.

Sponsored

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
I know we are talking about tires on the JL, but a word of caution about the Duratracs. They are AMAZING tires for snow/slush/ice......but be wary about putting them on a diesel truck. I had 5 tires have a belt slip and require replacement in one year of use. Eventually Discount Tires replaced them with a set of Nitto ExoGrapplers and I never had another problem. The Exo’s are 3 Peak rated, but not as good as the Duratracs in the same conditions. I’d try them again on the JL if I lived in the snow, but won’t go near them if I needed tires on the diesel tow rig.
Not second guessing you perse, but double check all your load ratings and specs on the tires you used or see if there was possibly a bad lot.

I ran duratracs throughout africa on several up-armored, up-tuned, turbo diesel 200 series land cruisers that weighed in at something stupid like 8-9,000lbs before fuel, passengers, and interior gear, and never had a single issue with any of them. I can't really think of a harder example of "overland" type use for vehicle and equipment than what we were doing. Although, if you're talking about towing some big trailer that puts you close to GCVW or something, I can't comment one way or another.....that's not how I've used them.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I had them on my wife's Grand Cherokee, and really liked them. Although as you mentioned, I didn't put them through much. It went off road a handful of times, but I didn't put them through anything serious.
Although I will say they handled the snow okay. Not as good as the Duratrac, but they weren't what I'd consider bad in the snow either.
I've put them through everything from Moab to Windrock to Kentucky mud. I've even run sand dunes (they are exceptional in sand) and a blizzard. They've handled all of it well with never a cut or puncture. And my winch has only been used to pull other Jeeps, not my own. I've beaten the hell out of these KO2's for 40k miles now and they are in great shape with plenty of tread left. (5 tire rotation.) As of now, I'm planning on ultimately replacing them with the same, unless they come out with a KO3 or someone else comes out with a nice 35" tire in a C load range. The only other catch is that I want it to be manufactured in the US. My BFG's were made right here in Indiana. The Duratrac is also manufactured in the US, so that's a plus for me, as well.

I've run Duratracs, too, and they are outstanding as well. I agree they have an advantage in snow, but not by much. I think they also shed mud a little better, but not a dramatic difference. I have seen more Duratracs get sidewall cuts than KO2's, but that can just be bad luck. There's no real way to make a fair comparison there. The KO2 is also on pace to last longer, but again, not by a wild amount.

Both tires offer the biggest things I'm looking for, including light weight and a C or D load rating. I simply will not run E rated tires on a Jeep again. There's no point in it, to me.
Overall, I view them as equal, but if snow traction or mud are of more importance, I'd lean toward the Duratrac. But the KO2 still handles both well. Certainly well enough.

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
Not second guessing you perse, but double check all your load ratings and specs on the tires you used or see if there was possibly a bad lot.

I ran duratracs throughout africa on several up-armored, up-tuned, turbo diesel 200 series land cruisers that weighed in at something stupid like 8-9,000lbs before fuel, passengers, and interior gear, and never had a single issue with any of them. I can't really think of a harder example of "overland" type use for vehicle and equipment than what we were doing. Although, if you're talking about towing some big trailer that puts you close to GCVW or something, I can't comment one way or another.....that's not how I've used them.
I’m guessing bad lot of tires which is why I’d give them another chance. Tires were rated well above the truck’s ratings. That’s why I used them. But, have heard quite a few guys that ran them on heavy diesel pickups have the same result. 8-900lb-ft of torque is hard on tires, especially when those tires give such good traction.

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
I was not impressed with BFG AT tires in the snow. They did alright on the road but really sucked in the mud. Switched to BFG MTs for a while. They did OK in deep snow where you can bite with mudders. They were great off road. On pavement, well, they are a mud tire. That was a TJ so you couldn't get squirrely even if you wanted to.

I switched to Duratracs and have not had a bunch of snow to test them have Duratracs on the JL and they are good on the road, on wet pavement but have yet to see snow.

My road is too steep for the state to take on. It remains private and the snow removal is sketchy. We'll see how it goes this winter.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
.... Both tires offer the biggest things I'm looking for, including light weight and a C or D load rating. I simply will not run E rated tires on a Jeep again. There's no point in it, to me.
Yeah, my current tires (KM2) are E load and I wouldn't have sought that out. I got a great deal on them on craigslist or some other classified type app, I don't remember exactly. I was looking specifically for the size and they've had a lot of good reviews on the tuck forums I used to visit. On a Jeep, they're a bit overkill. When I eventually replace them, I'll be looking for size and C/D load. Realistically I'll probably replace them with Duratracs some day.
Sponsored