Sponsored

Anyone use soft roof racks on a 2 door soft top?

These_go211

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door Wrangler JL
Was curious if anyone has done this? Been looking at solutions for transporting a Stand Up Paddleboard. I could probably fit one in my Wrangler with the top off, but this is somewhat limiting. Since I live in San Diego it would be great to be able to transport the board to the beach year round. Thanks for any info!
Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Was curious if anyone has done this? Been looking at solutions for transporting a Stand Up Paddleboard. I could probably fit one in my Wrangler with the top off, but this is somewhat limiting. Since I live in San Diego it would be great to be able to transport the board to the beach year round. Thanks for any info!
Hey Chuck...I'm getting a little lost in your reference to a "soft rack." Maybe I'm not following the use of the word "soft" in your title twice, or maybe a "soft rack" by your way of thinking could be as "hard as a rock," but simply capable of being used with a soft top (as well as a hard top, or exclusive with a soft top.)

At the higher end of the spectrum in price, your racks that don't attach to the top, but the rig's body (not chassis, bad idea because both chassis and body in a JL move freely) are compatible with both hard and stop tops. Heck, Gobi and LOD Offroad make ones compatible with even the power top.

But maybe, if you have a rear hitch you just need something as simply as an Extend-A-Truck in rear,

https://darbyindustries.com/
9fa132d1a0d26c29994f16c12ab19548.jpg

and in front a cowl mounted support, rather than as shown above a front hitch and second Extend-a-Truck (as you're not transporting a multipassenger boat.)

(The JL will take a front hitch need be.)

..something like this from Lange (although this cowl mount is for the JK Wrangler).

(Attachment to the spare in this setup above will limit the weight you can carry but should be more than enough for your Paddleboard if you're not otherwise hauling an large aftermarket spare tire there, whose weight and/or size may prevent this device from working.

022d8ffe97e504e3277f721fd8b3688c.jpg

I also seem to recall a rack for no top--something San Diego weather may permit much of the year.

OP
OP

These_go211

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door Wrangler JL
Thanks for the replies. To answer a question, “soft racks” are easily removable (and inexpensive) racks that lay on top of your car, with straps that run inside your car to secure them to your roof. Then your board gets strapped onto the racks pretty much the same way it works with a hard type rack. I used them before on my Civic when I first started using a Stand Up Paddleboard but was not sure I wanted to buy the more expensive hard roof racks.

As for the suggestions, i really appreciate it, but I really didn’t want to go the big bars/cage type setup. I was looking for something easily removable and used only when needed. I’m not entirely sure the soft racks would work but was curious if anyone had done it.

step1107

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2 Door Sport
Old thread but helped me find these. Just ordered. Hopefully this helps someone else looking to easily transport something like their kayaks when they have a soft top. https://www.etrailer.com/Roof_Rack/Exposed_Racks/ER87FR.html

Sponsored

MauiSteve

First Name
Stephen Rodgers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2 door, 2018 Colorado ZR2, 2009 Honda Ruckus, 1973 Honda CB750
Occupation
Mostly retired
Got any photos of this?