Anyone use a dirtbike hitch carrier?

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
Wondering how it works with having the spare tire on the back. How big of a hitch extender did you need? And does it wobble a bunch?
I feel like a 10ft trailer is overkill for one bike.

CAEDF706-FA32-4442-823F-CD8460529902.jpeg
Sponsored

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Given the need for a hitch extender (thus more leverage) and the limited tongue weight of a Jeep I think you’d be stuck with using a very light bike. With that said, I did carry a 125 motocrosser that way many moons ago. Worked “ok”.

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
I have a Black Widow (popular Amazon Made in China brand) steel dirt bike carrier. So far I've only thrown my little 115lbs lightning bike on it, but it's rated at 500lbs capacity and doesn't require a hitch extension. Saying that, the bars and footpeg will hit the spare tire if you don't space the bike properly on the carrier.

The carrier comes with two different methods of clamping down (a nut and bolt, sleeved hitch pin and an external carrier clamp) so the carrier doesn't shift or rattle while going down the road. I'll say that I was pretty impressed with how the carrier hasn't loosened or moved around while taking some two tracks, though I haven't done any "real" off-roading with it mounted yet.

I wouldn't have any concerns loading up a full-sized 4-stroke behind the Jeep, but agree with Dwayne that the Jeep is more the limiting factor than the carrier. I bought the carrier with the intent of loading my street bike (~425lbs wet) when mounted to my 3/4 ton pickup and still plan to do so when needed. Much easier than trying to load the bike into the bed of the pickup by yourself.

IMG_4560.jpg

IMG_4561.jpg

IMG_4563.jpg

IMG_4567.jpg

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
BTW, how much did that trailer run you? Does it have a 3500lbs axle or something lighter? I really would like a little 5x10 or 5x12 trailer to pull behind the Jeep on the occasion the roof rack isn't enough but going to get my pickup and my 7x18 car hauler is too much.

OP
OP
LiveToWork

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
BTW, how much did that trailer run you? Does it have a 3500lbs axle or something lighter? I really would like a little 5x10 or 5x12 trailer to pull behind the Jeep on the occasion the roof rack isn't enough but going to get my pickup and my 7x18 car hauler is too much.
Thanks for the info on ur other post there! I didnt think of tongue weight. My hitch extender said on the sticker that it HALFS the towing capacity. it aint heavy like a street bike at 230lbs ish but thats gotta be lots on there for the jeep i imagine? I do like your carrier rack thanks for showing it. Im gonna look into that.

And my trailer was I think 3400(cad). My uncle gave it to me so I dont know the details but I think its 5x10. I dont think its good for even 3500lb. Personally Id never have bought that myself because its useless without sides on. Im on the fence about selling it. Partially because I hate the asshole who gave it to me. And also because its a pain to haul things on a flatdeck that only has 1 tie down strap in each corner. If I was you Id get an enclosed unit or swallow the 1500 dollar cost to put the aluminum sides on it(overpriced as hell).

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
Thanks for the info on ur other post there! I didnt think of tongue weight. My hitch extender said on the sticker that it HALFS the towing capacity. it aint heavy like a street bike at 230lbs ish but thats gotta be lots on there for the jeep i imagine? I do like your carrier rack thanks for showing it. Im gonna look into that.

And my trailer was I think 3400(cad). My uncle gave it to me so I dont know the details but I think its 5x10. I dont think its good for even 3500lb. Personally Id never have bought that myself because its useless without sides on. Im on the fence about selling it. Partially because I hate the asshole who gave it to me. And also because its a pain to haul things on a flatdeck that only has 1 tie down strap in each corner. If I was you Id get an enclosed unit or swallow the 1500 dollar cost to put the aluminum sides on it(overpriced as hell).
This is the one I purchased; I misspoke earlier, it has a 600lbs capacity rather than 500lbs:

https://smile.amazon.com/Black-Wido...hild=1&keywords=mx-600x&qid=1621802612&sr=8-2

I personally wouldn't have a problem loading your bike behind my Jeep unless you're taking some really aggressive trails at speed with the Jeep while the bike is back there. I agree; leave the extension at home and just mount the rack up directly to the hitch receiver.

Good point about having a flatbed trailer without sides on. While I'd love an aluminum trailer, I think they're just a little outside of my budget. PJ makes a nice looking little 5x10 or 5x12 with a single Dexter 3500lbs ez-lube for a hair under $2000 USD that I'm currently lusting after.
Sponsored