Sponsored

Anyone up for Rocky Gap trail (Las Vegas NV area) the week of Thanksgiving?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Got a couple other members interested in joining up. Going to be in Las Vegas from Sunday afternoon thru Friday morning (Nov 22nd thru 26th). Would probably be best for us Mon, Tues, Wed, as I don't want to interrupt anyone's Thanksgiving day festivities :) And probably plan to hit the trailhead in the 9am timeframe

If anyone is in the Vegas area or traveling there and wants to meet up please post up or send a PM. Would be great to knock off another badge of honor with some other on site folks!

Here's some trail info FWIW.
https://www.trailsoffroad.com/trails/979-rocky-gappotato-ridge-road
Sponsored

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I'm currently scheduled to work Monday and Tuesday but I'm off the rest of the week.

ETA: I dont have an account on that site so I cant read the description. For anyone who has not run the trail, you can run it either way. You can start in Red Rock Canyon (fee area unless you have a National Park Pass) or starting off Lovell Canyon. Most of it is fairly easy unless you choose to run down in the wash, which can be pretty darn tough. The trail crosses the wash a few times so you can mix it up. There is one section of the trail thats ~ 1/4 mile long that can be pretty rough depending on the traffic and the weather. There is really no bypass for this, as both sides are rough. I think a stock JL with a decent driver really shouldnt have a problem with nothing more than a little rock stacking and spotting. That is of course subject to change if the area gets a lot of rain or snow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'm currently scheduled to work Monday and Tuesday but I'm off the rest of the week.

ETA: I dont have an account on that site so I cant read the description. For anyone who has not run the trail, you can run it either way. You can start in Red Rock Canyon (fee area unless you have a National Park Pass) or starting off Lovell Canyon. Most of it is fairly easy unless you choose to run down in the wash, which can be pretty darn tough. The trail crosses the wash a few times so you can mix it up. There is one section of the trail thats ~ 1/4 mile long that can be pretty rough depending on the traffic and the weather. There is really no bypass for this, as both sides are rough. I think a stock JL with a decent driver really shouldnt have a problem with nothing more than a little rock stacking and spotting. That is of course subject to change if the area gets a lot of rain or snow.
Sounds great James, Wednesday will be the plan then, as Friday we're leaving and like I mentioned, better not interfere w/ Thanksgiving Day stuff. Looking forward to it, got some new Fox 2.0 shocks so I should have adequate travel for most of that stuff :)

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Me and @P&PJeep and @Col_Sanders and his buddy Matt beat our Jeeps up against some rocks on Rocky Gap trail in Las Vegas, great Badge of Honor trail and a my skids got a few badges on them too! Thanks again guys, it was a blast!
1124211103_HDR.jpg

Snapchat-704580492.jpg

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
Hi guys, just make sure you are watching out for the LABTV crew this weekend!! You are planning a drive right on possibly the same course as thousands of riders this weekend.

Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I ran this last Friday. I was surprised at how much more washed out it was from the last time I ran it in early 2020. Also, a ton of pink jeep tour jeeps on the park side of the trail.

IMG_20211119_202138_684.jpg

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hi guys, just make sure you are watching out for the LABTV crew this weekend!! You are planning a drive right on possibly the same course as thousands of riders this weekend.
Lucky for us we ran it today, only one other Jeep on the trail while we were there :)
Great time to go!

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I ran this last Friday. I was surprised at how much more washed out it was from the last time I ran it in early 2020. Also, a ton of pink jeep tour jeeps on the park side of the trail.

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone up for Rocky Gap trail (Las Vegas NV area) the week of Thanksgiving? IMG_20211119_202138_684
Yeah, that rock garden was no picnic, the others I was with were also surprised how rough it was compared to the last time they ran it. Great trail though!

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, that rock garden was no picnic, the others I was with were also surprised how rough it was compared to the last time they ran it. Great trail though!
I did not know it was a badge of honor trail, ill have to check in next time. In 100% stock now, hopefully when im back in a few weeks i won't be. I ran in with around 9 to 12 in snow the first time and it was easier than this time. Skids and lift and tires goes a long way with its current condition

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I did not know it was a badge of honor trail, ill have to check in next time. In 100% stock now, hopefully when im back in a few weeks i won't be. I ran in with around 9 to 12 in snow the first time and it was easier than this time. Skids and lift and tires goes a long way with its current condition
I bet having a foot of snow could make some of those areas extra treacherous, have no idea what's under some of that stuff. I'll have 35s on it next time, that should help quite a bit.

Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I bet having a foot of snow could make some of those areas extra treacherous, have no idea what's under some of that stuff. I'll have 35s on it next time, that should help quite a bit.
next time you head up let me know. I am always down for a weekend away of trail. same goes for moab, sand hollow, or if you hit AZ.

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
next time you head up let me know. I am always down for a weekend away of trail. same goes for moab, sand hollow, or if you hit AZ.
I assume you've done Crown King, if so, how does it compare to Rocky Gap as far as difficult spots?
I made it through ok at Rocky Gap but there was one spot where I had to back up and take a different path. And like I mentioned, I will have my 35s on soon.
Thanks for the offer J, always great to meet up w/ others, especially those that have run the trail(s) before.

Going to hit Schnebly and Table Mesa Friday on our way home.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I assume you've done Crown King, if so, how does it compare to Rocky Gap as far as difficult spots?
I made it through ok at Rocky Gap but there was one spot where I had to back up and take a different path. And like I mentioned, I will have my 35s on soon.
Thanks for the offer J, always great to meet up w/ others, especially those that have run the trail(s) before.

Going to hit Schnebly and Table Mesa Friday on our way home.
Crown King is easier than Rocky Gap by far. longer, but easier.

if you are going to do Schnebly I recommend hitting it as early as you can. it gets pretty packed on the weekends.

table mesa is one of my favorite local trails, it is more difficult than Rocky gap in some places, but there are bypasses so you should be ok. Table mesa also changes a lot year to year depending on the years rain.

you may also want to check out Broken Arrow if doing Schnebly. its like a mini moab with some rock etc. same advise though about hitting it early.

and if you will be heading up i17 on a weekend, be prepared for traffic. its like a parking lot going north at times.

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Crown King is easier than Rocky Gap by far. longer, but easier.

if you are going to do Schnebly I recommend hitting it as early as you can. it gets pretty packed on the weekends.

table mesa is one of my favorite local trails, it is more difficult than Rocky gap in some places, but there are bypasses so you should be ok. Table mesa also changes a lot year to year depending on the years rain.

you may also want to check out Broken Arrow if doing Schnebly. its like a mini moab with some rock etc. same advise though about hitting it early.

and if you will be heading up i17 on a weekend, be prepared for traffic. its like a parking lot going north at times.
Thanks for that info, good to know about Crown King. We'll
Be hitting Schnebly around noon Friday probably not ideal but fingers crossed.
Thanks

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I was under the impression table Mesa was easy and crown King had the hard stuff. I hope to do both soon.

Schnelby was easy but rough. Broken arrow was pretty short but fun. Lots of pink jeeps in the way though.
Sponsored