Sponsored

Anyone up for an Anza Borrego run on Friday May 24, 2019?

whadley

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I know it's last minute but I need to escape the coastal gloom! Anyone interested in meeting up for an easy to intermediate run in Anza Borrego tomorrow (Friday May 24, 2019)? I prefer an early start but I'm flexible on the meet time and trail selection.
Sponsored

OP
OP
whadley

whadley

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unfortunately, no takers yesterday, so I ventured out solo. It was a fun day with awesome weather. I did a handful of runs, all but Inspiration Wash, Hills of the Moon Wash and Grapevine Canyon Road for the first time, for a full day of off-roading. I started and finished near Ranchita on S22 …

Jasper Trail to Old Culp Valley Road - fun, easy dirt roads to start out the day.

Inspiration Wash to Borrego Dump - easy wash, interesting terrain with a drop-off and some sand, the wash peters out near the dump and it is easy to get off the route.

Borrego Dump to Ocotillo Ranger Station via Rainbow Wash, Hills of the Moon Wash, Blow Sand Canyon and the Goat Trail - nice long run, with some fun technical sections. Rainbow Wash and Hills of the Moon Wash are out-and-back only

Fish Creek Wash to Olla Wash with Sandstone Canyon and Loop Wash - the long out-and-back run on Fish Creek Wash was easy but was continuous washboard and not my favorite. I did this primarily to scout the Diablo Dropoff exit for a future outing. The Wind Caves are an interesting stop along this route.

Grapevine Canyon Road to Wilson Road - easy, sometimes rocky and narrow dirt road. This was probably one of my favorite runs of the day and a far better option to exit the Borrego Valley than the paved Banner (78) or Montezuma (S22) grades.

Note: Rainbow Wash, Hills of the Moon Wash and Sandstone Canyon have some extended technical sections or challenging obstacles with minimal turn-around and self recovery options and no cell signal.

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wrangler JLUR, '23 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired Code Monkey
I was out there last weekend. A friend and I did Coyote/Sheep Canyons on the Borrego Springs side (even recovered an F250 stuck in the sand.) Awesome weather! I'm thinking of going out again this weekend for, what is probably, the last reasonably cool weather of the year.

I've done most of the routes you mentioned (love Grapevine Canyon up to Ranchita).

Sounds like you had a good time. :like:

FPrice

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon 4D
I was out that way on Saturday. We dropped in at Sin Nombre Canyon (off S2) to Vallecito . Then Arroyo Seco through Diablo Drop off. There were a few Jeeps posted up at the bottom of the first drop, they cheered as we came down LOL. Out through Fish Creek to Split Mountain rd and the 78. Went back on the S2, and drove Mortero wash and back through Dos Cabeza, and back home to Lakeside.

Sponsored

OP
OP
whadley

whadley

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Steve, Coyote Canyon is on my list. I'm not sure this weekend is the best, there was a caravan of RVs, Jeeps, trucks and trailers heading to the desert all the way into Poway. I was glad I was heading the other way!

OP
OP
whadley

whadley

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frank, I'm looking forward to exploring the southern end of Anza Borrego on my next trip out.

OP
OP
whadley

whadley

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Martin, I'll PM you my contact info

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
Martin, I'll PM you my contact info
Cool. I’m heading to big bear 4th July, so I like to do a somewhat local run prior after installing new parts. I will check on my various orders and try to pin down a date. With any luck it quits raining here.
Sponsored