Sponsored

Anyone trade in their car to place an order for Wrangler (knowing it may be awhile)?

phatjoe

First Name
VJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Powerwagon, 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Hey,

I've received a good trade in value for my car
(not looking to start a debate between selling privately vs trading in...the $1-2k more I'd get from selling privately, is roughly the sales tax advantage for me trading in).

Issue being, I'm not interested in the Wranglers they have on their lot. I'm debating ordering my Rubicon through them.

Has anyone traded in a car, and placed an order for their Wrangler?

Would I need to hand over my car now, and wait the 5-8 weeks for my Wrangler? I'm just worried of something not working out and it turns out to be a much longer wait, or some other horror story.

Thx
Sponsored

Skye

First Name
Skye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Nuclear FSE
Most dealers can pull inventory from other dealers. You should shop around for JLs on other lots and get one now.

BostonBilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
I ordered my JL Rubi on 1-1 with a trade of my 2015 JKU Sahara. It was a good deal on both sides (the purchase and the trade)I have it all in writing with no stipulations about my mileage. I am driving my work van as much as I can just to help keep the mileage down but that is just me trying to not be a complete asshole. He definitely didn't want mine up front at time of deal for whatever legal reason and that worked for me cause here in Mass I run a single (no front) green lic plate. Talk with your dealer to try and get the deal done

drummerchick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR, Sting-Gray
Vehicle Showcase
I negotiated a trade in deal to be done when the Jeep comes in. I don't owe anything on the current car, so that makes negotiation a little simpler.

OP
OP
phatjoe

phatjoe

First Name
VJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Powerwagon, 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Thanks for the responses. I was curious if you guys gave up your trade at the time of order or when the jeep comes in. Seems like you will when the jeep gets in.

I'm in as similar situation with my car being paid off. It's our fun car so it spends most of the time sitting in the garage, so at least I can keep the miles down. I need to look into this....

Sponsored

Tavox

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
I am trading in my 09 JK, and no, you donā€™t trade it when you order, only when you get your new Jeep.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Sell / trade-in your car when you take delivery of your new Rubicon. Many dealers will honor the trade-in price they quoted you for a specific time frame, mileage, condition. Have them give you something in writing.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
The way I understood it is that they take possession of the vehicle immediately when you trade it in.

I listed my JK privately for a fairly high price six months before the JL order banks were even open(Thinking I would gradually lower my price until my JL was close to being here.) Well, it sold within a week of me listing it for my asking price. :facepalm:
After that I purchased a few cars from customers that needed minor work. I always listed them for sale after they were finished while continuing to drive them until they sold. That worked until the last two months when I ran out of cars to purchase where I knew I wouldn't make money on them or at least break even. I ended up purchasing a motorcycle off season for a good deal and rode it around until my JL arrived(Riding in Houston winters wasn't really that bad, and on extreme days my wife would give me a lift.) When my JL arrived I sold the motorcycle and ended up making a few $ since it was then peak riding season in Houston.

I still wish I hadn't sold my JK that early on, b/c I regretted not having a Jeep almost every single day. If it's a car you actually enjoy then I would wait until the JL arrives before trading it in. You may lose a few $ on the trade but at least you had a car you like to drive. With the JK I was worried that if I waited the value would drop(Doesn't seem to be the case looking at used prices now.)

Mrjimmystewart

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 jeep 392, Mercedes E 53 convt, Prevost H3-41
Occupation
Retired
I'm keeping my F-250 superduty 4 x 4 until a few months after I take delivery of my Sahara. I want to make sure I can do all the Home depot / nursery runs / light towing with the Jeep before I give up my truck.

bobbyh25

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
I negotiated my trade price on my 2015 JKU Rubi before ordering my 2018 JLU Rubi, with the understanding that I would be driving it until the 18 finally came in. Win win!!

Sponsored

CashMonkey

First Name
Rolo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grey 2009 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan 5SPDMT Black 2012 Nissan Altima 2.5SL Sedan 6SPDAT
Vehicle Showcase
Hey,

I've received a good trade in value for my car
(not looking to start a debate between selling privately vs trading in...the $1-2k more I'd get from selling privately, is roughly the sales tax advantage for me trading in).

Issue being, I'm not interested in the Wranglers they have on their lot. I'm debating ordering my Rubicon through them.

Has anyone traded in a car, and placed an order for their Wrangler?

Would I need to hand over my car now, and wait the 5-8 weeks for my Wrangler? I'm just worried of something not working out and it turns out to be a much longer wait, or some other horror story.

Thx
I traded my car in, I don't hand keys over until I take delivery of my JLU. I also signed paperwork stating that I am not at fault should my trade get damaged, and that the agreed upon value stays the same.

JMSJR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Thanks for the responses. I was curious if you guys gave up your trade at the time of order or when the jeep comes in. Seems like you will when the jeep gets in.

I'm in as similar situation with my car being paid off. It's our fun car so it spends most of the time sitting in the garage, so at least I can keep the miles down. I need to look into this....
I had two cars to trade - I traded one at time of order for a deposit and the other at delivery. Since it took 3 months to get the Jeep there was a time I was starting to think it wasnā€™t such a good idea as I was thinking of canceling the order as I was becoming impatient. It was a $5K trade. But it all worked out. If I were to do it again, I would just give the minimum deposit just Incase I had to cancel or move to another dealer.

Rick12785

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I sold my JK privately and ordered the next day. Been sharing the Rogue with my wife. Pick up my JL Wednesday and canā€™t wait.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
We worked out a trade that was fair to both parties in writing. No limit on increasing mileage.

TopPinArcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1987 Toyota, 2017 Crosstrek, 2008 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser
Occupation
Environmental Technician
I sold my JK months ahead of the JL purchase... we have a Crosstrek and a class c diesel motorhome that we used for transportation in the meantime. I personally would never trade a vehicle in. The dealer wouldā€™ve gave me in the upper 20ā€™s-low 30ā€™s for my low mile built ā€˜14 JK..... I sold it outright for 38....
Sponsored