Anyone towing with their Diesel?

JLDIESEL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
I ordered the JT grill insets and will relocate the horns since they see to be in the way.
Sponsored

D90John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon diesel
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, sorry. The air temp was 97, not the coolant! Jeep ran under 200 coolant temp the whole trip.

Nerobergstr

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
West Texas Barn Find 1970 Kaiser Jeepster Commando
Vehicle Showcase
Flat towed a '70 Jeepster Commando up to the cabin with the JLURD. About 3100 lbs through mildly hilly terrain. JL was loaded pretty full of stuff as well. Towed fine, no overheating issues but what a wobbly rig when it hits uneven pavement... One jeep is bad enough on the highway, hook 2 together and it gets interesting. I did get 22 mpg though, which is twice as good as the jeepster could do on its own.

JeepAndJeepster.jpg

troubledog

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon diesel
I’ve been towing a 1500 lb camp trailer. My jeep has a 2.5” metal cloak lift and I’m running 37” KO2’s. Highway I’m getting 19mpg when I’m being very careful. Without the trailer I can get about 22-23 in the highway with this setup. Im a little disappointed with the mileage numbers, was hoping the diesel would do better.
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone towing with their Diesel? 014B4E17-F307-49AB-93BF-D6F26BA54B3E

Sponsored

Mjr.Crash

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep wrangler unlimited willy’s
I just started a long trip with my JLURD and a 2650 lb RPod travel trailer. Tonight I’m staying near Highlands, NC. To get to this campsite it’s a 6-7 mile drive up windy roads with grades up to 15%. I’m on 37’s with bead lock wheels, not re-geared so stock 3.73, and this thing climbed up here like it was nothing. Transmission temp never moved from it’s normal range 190-210. It was the first real test for my diesel and I couldn’t be happier.

Also spent the last couple of days over at Uwharrie and it handled the difficult trails easily.

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone towing with their Diesel? 014B4E17-F307-49AB-93BF-D6F26BA54B3E
looks like you have a lift ? curious if added springs/coils to rear-front or ?? sry .. should have looked into your vehicle profile first perhaps , my adhd tho if i didnt say something now id be off chassing other rabbit trails lol ..

Mjr.Crash

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep wrangler unlimited willy’s
I’ve been towing a 1500 lb camp trailer. My jeep has a 2.5” metal cloak lift and I’m running 37” KO2’s. Highway I’m getting 19mpg when I’m being very careful. Without the trailer I can get about 22-23 in the highway with this setup. Im a little disappointed with the mileage numbers, was hoping the diesel would do better.
Want that trailer !!!

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

Im coming into this thread a bit late but my 2020 JLUR diesel has 12,500 on the clock now. I just returned from a 2500 mile trip to and from Death Valley towing a 1600 pound off grid trailer with RTT. The diesel towed like a charm. I’m running 35’s with stock gearing. I do have a front bumper/ lights/ winch profile that provides as much direct air into the grill as possible. The hottest temps we encountered were 97 degrees so nothing compared to a few of the comments I have read. I have talked to a few guys that have switch their grills to the JT version witch can be configured to provide wider grill openings and allow even more air in.
The few that you know that changed out the grill to the larger openings, are they seeing any noticeable improvements in temperature readings?

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
The few that you know that changed out the grill to the larger openings, are they seeing any noticeable improvements in temperature readings?
Certainly can't hurt anything except the wallet lol. If that refreshed grille does not come out I plan to go the JT route.

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

Certainly can't hurt anything except the wallet lol. If that refreshed grille does not come out I plan to go the JT route.
THE GRILL INSERTS COME OUT. WHY WOULD YOU REPLACE IT WITHOUT KNOWING IF IT IMPROVES COOLING ABILITY? THE WAY I SEE IT WOULD ALLOW MORE OBJECTS (LIKE SM ROCKS, BUGS) TO IMPEDE ON THE SURFACE OF THE RADIATOR. HENCE, YOUR GOING BACKWARDS. JMO

Sponsored

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
THE GRILL INSERTS COME OUT. WHY WOULD YOU REPLACE IT WITHOUT KNOWING IF IT IMPROVES COOLING ABILITY? THE WAY I SEE IT WOULD ALLOW MORE OBJECTS (LIKE SM ROCKS, BUGS) TO IMPEDE ON THE SURFACE OF THE RADIATOR. HENCE, YOUR GOING BACKWARDS. JMO
Easy there hoss, I've had cars with larger grille openings and never suffered a catastrophic radiator issue, just a smashed grille with a chunk of tire. As with everything in life, YMMV. Maybe I should just go angry grille though, since that's what everyone here loves :devil:

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
I can say that with standard grill inserts, a top-mounted winch covering the bottom/middle, and towing a 5000lb boat at 60mph in 93* summer heat on level ground at sea level . . . I never had a single temp issue. Temps ran about 10*F hotter than when not towing on the same day.

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

Easy there hoss, I've had cars with larger grille openings and never suffered a catastrophic radiator issue, just a smashed grille with a chunk of tire. As with everything in life, YMMV. Maybe I should just go angry grille though, since that's what everyone here loves :devil:
Before you just jumped in and had to add your nonsensible opinion with with an added "lol" I was elaborating further on the topic and responding to D90John, Who shared helpful facts that I think most of us here appreciate. Never spoke of catastrophic happenings as you appear to be insinuating, Have traveled a lot of open back roads with vegetation that attracts flying insects, often embodied across the front of my Jeep including the plastic grill insert. JMO I rather it land there, also easier to clean, then to be embedded into the fins of my radiator. But if the larger insert holes aid in keeping a cooler engine then there is reason to consider the change. And yes I've had many of vehicles with larger grill openings and often resulting in bent fins along the front row of the radiator due to small road debris. Thus making the radiator (although very slight) less efficient. Since I seem to have captured your attention Mr Tex (aka Hoss) here, What gives with the bull horns on your rigs? Lol

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
Geez. My JLURD came equipped with the larger opening grille from the factory (have the front trail cam). I had no idea my radiator was now so dangerously exposed. Reckon I better go build a suit of armor around my Jeep (and the world) from all those dangerous radiator-killing bugs.
Sponsored