Anyone towing with their Diesel?

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
I’ve got an 800 mile drive tomorrow pulling a small camp trailer on my JLRUD. All freeway driving. I imagine it will be fine but we’ll see. Probably the biggest effect will be on gas mileage. The vehicle is 100% stock.
You'll be fine - just fill up the tank early and often! My mileage was averaging ~27 on the interstate. Then, pulling the big boat, I was getting 11.
Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
You'll be fine - just fill up the tank early and often! My mileage was averaging ~27 on the interstate. Then, pulling the big boat, I was getting 11.
Wow. That is quite a drop. I would have never guessed it would be that impactful.

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Wow. That is quite a drop. I would have never guessed it would be that impactful.
Well, it is a 22' tri-toon (pontoon) boat. So, 3 big pontoons, 2' tall front wall, folded canopy top, etc. Not exactly the most aerodynamic thing. Plus, doors and roof were off on the Jeep. And, I estimate total weight was just over 4000lbs.

I know - tow rating is 3500. But, I was on 100% flat roads (southeast Louisiana, FTW!), no stop/start, etc. And the Jeep did wonderfully!

troubledog

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon diesel
Just finished up. Overall avg of 23 mpg pulling an Adventure Trailer Horizon from El Paso to Houston.
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone towing with their Diesel? 2EE3E5CF-310E-45AD-A5EA-03B903B81D3B

Sponsored

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

Oh it's hot as hell when we are doing this. I had temp rises yesterday and the temp outside was 113-117. I removed my grill insert to get better airflow and I am relocating the winch electronics to make my winch lower profile. Hopefully this will help. WIll have to cool down before I start taking the boat out again. Too hot here to be enjoyable even on the water in the Vegas area.
What was the result of removing the grill insert? did you see an improvement? I thought about doing the same. I could be wrong but I swear I seen a later 2021 model Diesel with a stock larger grill insert. Did Jeep realize the diesel needed more air flow and increased the honey cone grill inserts? It's my understanding the foreign diesel exports have the same Hood as the 392 with a forced air scoop on the front.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
What was the result of removing the grill insert? did you see an improvement? I thought about doing the same. I could be wrong but I swear I seen a later 2021 model Diesel with a stock larger grill insert. Did Jeep realize the diesel needed more air flow and increased the honey cone grill inserts? It's my understanding the foreign diesel exports have the same Hood as the 392 with a forced air scoop on the front.
Gladiator's grill might be a good option?

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
I got a question, I am running 37’s on my diesel. Will my diesel tow my jumping jack trailer with the current gearing of 3.73’s or do you think I should re-gear to low gear so I don’t put that load on the tranny.

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

I got a question, I am running 37’s on my diesel. Will my diesel tow my jumping jack trailer with the current gearing of 3.73’s or do you think I should re-gear to low gear so I don’t put that load on the tranny.
The tranny in the diesel is a beast it's heavy duty it's only found in the diesel and 392 trim regearing will probably only increase your mileage slightly but the tranny will most likely run in 6th Gear on its own on highways. With 35s running into a headwind slight grade my diesel runs ln 6 gear no issues.I watch the trans temp, never an issue

Dasher320

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7, 2003 TJ, 2020 JLUR
Occupation
Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
I re-geared to 4.56 on 37's. I never had any issue with transmission temp, but I did have problems with the engine temp getting hot. It behaves a lot better now, but I do still watch it closely pulling up steep grades. Mine will hit 8th gear at highway speeds now unless pulling up hill--it used to only get to 8th going down a steep hill.

Sponsored

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Ecodiesel
The one you saw probably had the front trail cam. Our diesel has the standard grill inserts but we don't have the trailcam. Every single one I have seen with the trailcam has the larger mesh gladiator grill inserts

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

The one you saw probably had the front trail cam. Our diesel has the standard grill inserts but we don't have the trailcam. Every single one I have seen with the trailcam has the larger mesh gladiator grill inserts
Just received our second Wrangler Diesel.
You may be right. Our second one 2021 has the trail cam. As you see from the pictures, the grille inserts are larger. Our first one the 2020 has the Mopar Hood lock.

20210426_100929.jpg

20210426_100946.jpg

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Ecodiesel
Just received our second Wrangler Diesel.
You may be right. Our second one 2021 has the trail cam. As you see from the pictures, the grille inserts are larger. Our first one the 2020 has the Mopar Hood lock.

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone towing with their Diesel? 20210426_100946

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone towing with their Diesel? 20210426_100946
Yep, just take a look at any trailcam equipped wrangler. Diesel or not, I bet they all have the wider grill mesh.

D90John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon diesel
Vehicle Showcase
Im coming into this thread a bit late but my 2020 JLUR diesel has 12,500 on the clock now. I just returned from a 2500 mile trip to and from Death Valley towing a 1600 pound off grid trailer with RTT. The diesel towed like a charm. I’m running 35’s with stock gearing. I do have a front bumper/ lights/ winch profile that provides as much direct air into the grill as possible. The hottest temps we encountered were 97 degrees so nothing compared to a few of the comments I have read. I have talked to a few guys that have switch their grills to the JT version witch can be configured to provide wider grill openings and allow even more air in.
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone towing with their Diesel? 03C6B9E4-6F15-4700-BCE9-310D23213F2D

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

Im coming into this thread a bit late but my 2020 JLUR diesel has 12,500 on the clock now. I just returned from a 2500 mile trip to and from Death Valley towing a 1600 pound off grid trailer with RTT. The diesel towed like a charm. I’m running 35’s with stock gearing. I do have a front bumper/ lights/ winch profile that provides as much direct air into the grill as possible. The hottest temps we encountered were 97 degrees so nothing compared to a few of the comments I have read. I have talked to a few guys that have switch their grills to the JT version witch can be configured to provide wider grill openings and allow even more air in.
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone towing with their Diesel? 03C6B9E4-6F15-4700-BCE9-310D23213F2D
97 degrees Ambient Air Temperature?
Sponsored