Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

Geez. My JLURD came equipped with the larger opening grille from the factory (have the front trail cam). I had no idea my radiator was now so dangerously exposed. Reckon I better go build a suit of armor around my Jeep (and the world) from all those dangerous radiator-killing bugs.
Don't laugh Bud, They're taking your state too making it the new California.

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

Oh it's hot as hell when we are doing this. I had temp rises yesterday and the temp outside was 113-117. I removed my grill insert to get better airflow and I am relocating the winch electronics to make my winch lower profile. Hopefully this will help. WIll have to cool down before I start taking the boat out again. Too hot here to be enjoyable even on the water in the Vegas area.
Please keep us informed if that improves and your rig runs cooler as a result. That's a aggressive approach I like it. I too am living in extreme desert temperatures could USE ALL THE COOLING AIDS if there are any. Thanks for sharing.

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

Its the Borg!!!!
Don't be surprised if we run your direction too you have plenty of public lands I'm like Texas Don't be surprised if they run your direction too You have plenty of public lands unlike Texas. And you got Sarah Palin, She's coming back with a vengeance. You just might be the new Florida.

Sponsored

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
I posted this earlier, but I think it bears reposting, since summer is here and people are taking trips more often in hotter temps.

00 Trans Ram said:
Another solution for coolant temps (and oil temps, since the engine runs cooler) is something like Water Wetter or Purple Ice. I used to road race a 2000 Trans Am. I began racing with a fairly stock motor in plan track days. One day, I began overheating and blew my radiator cap off, blowing most of my coolant (stock coolant/anti-freeze in an LS1 motor) all over the track.

Limped back to the pits and refilled with plain tap water. Friend of mine had some Redline Water Wetter and we put it in. Went back out for more laps. My car ran LITERALLY 30*F cooler. Same day, same conditions, same motor.

Ever since, I've run Water Wetter (with distilled water) in all of my high-performance cars. It contains enough lubricants (for things like water pump) that you don't need any additional coolant/anti-freeze. I'm in southeastern Louisiana, so we don't worry about freezing temps.

(Yes, when I'm about to sell the car, I drain and refill with anti-freeze. Just in case the thing get sold to someone up north that gets freezing temps.)

Infidel09

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep wrangler JL Rubicon unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
So I bought a boat a couple of weekends ago. Ran into an issue the last two times that I have taken it out that it is overheating going up steep grades.

The boat and trailer are under the #3500 towing capacity. Anyone else experience towing overheat issues?

Trying to figure out if I should keep my revs high or low? Keep speed up or let rev's dictate? Do I need to upgrade my cooling system? Is there an upgrade for Diesel cooling system?

I have mine tuned with the banks derringer and pedal commander. The tuning fixed all the issues I had with the stock tune. My trailer weighs 3800lbs I use a weight reduction hitch and I have air bags in my springs. No problems so far…46k miles
21 Rubicon ecodiesel 37” tires 4” lift
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone towing with their Diesel? IMG_1299

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

When towing and going up steep grades keep your foot out of it let the torque do the work. If you don't push it and stay in the right lane and take your time you should be able to avoid the degrade which leads to actual overheating. I have the Derringer and the pedal monster and 38s m/t 3.5 lift. I just recently added the Mishimoto radiator and trans cooler. 85% complete to solving the high temperature problems some experience when towing and or climbing steep grades at high altitudes. The design and engineering is bar none with the radiator and trans when considering the OEM designing and compatibility. The customer service is fantastic and is all backed by a lifetime warranty regardless of how you run and play for work with your Wrangler. Will be acquiring and installing a tazer Jl to complete the effectiveness of the newly installed radiator. I've heard success stories with simply installing the taser JL by itself. And simply using the auxiliary electric fan mode. The tazer can be used for both applications. Overall our diesel Wranglers run hot without some form of tweaks. It's the small engine bay that's the culprit. Turbo works hard and gets hot when under heavy load. It's not getting more cool air in it's getting a hot air out that's where the auxiliary fan that is not programmed in the ECU to run for some crazy reason on the highway steep grades and while under heavy load. That's where the tazer JL comes in. Have yet to hear of a scenario or story where the Eco diesel actually overheated. The engine will degrade to prevent such a thing. Requiring the individual to pull over and let the engine cool down. (Do Not shut off the engine during this time). Diesel's Idle and also cool down very effectively versus a gasser. As far as high revs or low revs while towing or going up a steep grade, let this 8-speed transmission do its own thing. You will see it maintains a neutral position with moderate acceleration on the gas pedal and selects the right gear for you as long as you don't put your foot into it.
Sponsored