Sponsored

Anyone towed anything with their JL yet?

bobzdar

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Rubicon X 4XE, '23 Defender 130
Tow this with properly sized wd hitch and sway damper, no issues. Ran into 25mph winds heading to VA beach and had no wagging. 65mph usual speed, stays in 7th gear mostly, drops to 6th and occasionally 5th on big hills.

20180707_170432.jpg
Sponsored

NC4x4

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Trailer was empty in this pic but I moved an entire apartments worth of furniture and stuff in it. Pulled great, little to no squat with the Mopar lift. It had a ton of tongue weight as well.

kO2U48qBQwOfhvpLksnOkg.jpg

apettit7

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Occupation
IT
My JLUR 6spd pulls, climbs hills. and stops my SeaDoo boat without any issue. I need to add a little more drop to the hitch though.
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone towed anything with their JL yet? {filename}

NC4x4

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
If anyone is interested, Harbor Freight sells a 6.5" drop hitch for right at $20. It's long enough to stick the ball out past a 35 on my tail gate. With the Mopar lift it makes a trailer tongue sit nice and level. I bought two, one for 1 7/8" and one for 2".

Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Military Mutt jeeps will easily tow a much larger 3/4 ton truck off pavement . So I think any Jeep can TRY to tow just about anything .

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
If anyone is interested, Harbor Freight sells a 6.5" drop hitch for right at $20. It's long enough to stick the ball out past a 35 on my tail gate. With the Mopar lift it makes a trailer tongue sit nice and level. I bought two, one for 1 7/8" and one for 2".
Indeed, a drop hitch is a necessity. I tow a few different trailers and it seems I need a different drop for each. I have the Harbor Freight offering and a couple of others. I have used these over the years with my Wrangler's.

Last month I finally bit the bullet lets say and purchased a pricey dual ball, all aluminum, adjustable 10" drop hitch. No more is it necessary for me to lug around multiple drop hitches so I can deal properly with each trailer I tow. I cringe when I recount that I spent $170 on a drop hitch but....

I interstate towed over 15,600 miles last year.

Mantacon

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Grey JLUR
Tows way better than my JK ever did. No odd shifting, just smooth.

SpyDJeep

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"18 JLUR Punk'n, '11 JKU Mango tango, '17 JKU Granite crystal, 98 XJ plow jeep
Vehicle Showcase
I've towed both my enclosed single axle 5x10 box trailer and my 6x10 dual axle dump trailer with no issues. I'm using a 4" drop receiver on the dump trailer and a brake controller connected to the factory supplied trailer brake harness. Dont even feel the trailer behind me and the brakes work flawlessly.

Tacoman03

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR Recon 2022 Bronco Raptor
Vehicle Showcase
I have a JLU 3.6 and I took my camper out last weekend. We travelled to a state park about 100 miles away in middle of Georgia. Only hills were near and in state park but nothing major. I have a Winnebago Micro Minnie that has dry weight right at 3,000#. Try not to put too much in it to keep total under 3500.
I don’t have much experience to relate to as this is my first Jeep and first travel trailer. I had no issues pulling and while it would stay in a higher gear at times even after I was back on level ground, I never felt like RPM was too high. Sat between 2000 and 3500 whole trip.
Have read many mixed suggestions on the Micro Minnie behind 4-dr but I live in South Georgia and don’t plan to pull too far away. I had a very positive experience.

We're looking at that exact model and a Sportsman Classic....same weight glad to see your Jeep did well, now I feel better about pulling the trigger on one of these travel trailers!

Sponsored

rs680

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I Have Pulled my 2 Seadoos with no problems. I am now looking for a travel trailer to pull. I know in the Photo there is a big As% Motorhome in the photo but sometimes I need something small to get in to small more remote location.
I have been looking at a Winnie drop to use as a base camp to do some remote places that the motorhome is just to dam big or roads are to rough to access

View attachment 148061

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Occupation
USAF Retired Helicopter mechanic
Towed our Polaris Ranger, about 2200 pounds, and trailer weight around 500. Tows great, just uses a lot of fuel!

CaliJK

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Hey all. I've got the itch to get back in a Jeep. Waiting on price of gladiator, but if it's out of price range, I'd go with a JL. Either way I'd be getting a small dump trailer for hauling hay, which would put me right around 3000lbs. I'd be Towing maybe 5 miles from farm to house. Any thoughts on how being that close to max would be, would anything added to the hitch help? I'd obviously be putting in a brake controller and trailer would have electric brakes.

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Hey all. I've got the itch to get back in a Jeep. Waiting on price of gladiator, but if it's out of price range, I'd go with a JL. Either way I'd be getting a small dump trailer for hauling hay, which would put me right around 3000lbs. I'd be Towing maybe 5 miles from farm to house. Any thoughts on how being that close to max would be, would anything added to the hitch help? I'd obviously be putting in a brake controller and trailer would have electric brakes.
I pull a boat that I weighed at 4000 pounds fully loaded and it pulls it easy with hardly any sag. Yeah it is overweight but I only pull it around town and the hydraulic surge brakes are amazing. I live a block away from the marina.

You will be fine. Just make sure the trailer is balanced properly.

CaliJK

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
I pull a boat that I weighed at 4000 pounds fully loaded and it pulls it easy with hardly any sag. Yeah it is overweight but I only pull it around town and the hydraulic surge brakes are amazing. I live a block away from the marina.

You will be fine. Just make sure the trailer is balanced properly.
Thanks. Yea, it's literally 5 miles 2 left turns and a right.

The heaviest Towing I've done is 1 horse in a trailer, probably pushing 3500-4000lbs. That I would tow about 25-30 miles, all flat road, and could even do it all in the city. But I've only done it 3 times in the last 2 years, so if I have to rent a truck, not a big deal.
Sponsored