Anyone Tow a Camper? Size? Pics?

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Thinking about doing the exact same setup.

Did you change out your hitch to a class 3 for the WDH?
Keep in mind WD hitches only redistribute the weight, they don’t reduce it. The hitch limit on the Wrangler is 350 pounds. 400 pounds with a WD Hitch. 350 is the safe limit as far as wright distribution as it affects sway of the trailer. 400 is the limit as far as total weight on the rear bumper/frame where the hitch is connected.

I’m still a bit skittish about towing due to the short wheelbase of my Rubi. Definitely need to keep the total loaded weight at a minimum. No water. Buy food when you get where your going.
Sponsored

lightle04

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Sahara JKU
Our hybrid. About 3100 unloaded so we are right at the Max loaded up. Pulls great but a weight distribution hitch is mandatory.

95FB50E4-1958-4065-861B-B525F4E434F1.jpeg

E88FAF65-D407-416C-9920-E3B63020D72B.jpeg
Ok. So I pulled my camper local why my Jeep last weekend. I have never towed anything except a pop up. The Jeep seemed to struggle changing gears and the temp gauge would rise until it did shift but then would go back down. Are these things normal? Do you see that when you tow? Dry my camper weighs 3000 lbs and we didn’t take much with us!

Jgeiken

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Ok. So I pulled my camper local why my Jeep last weekend. I have never towed anything except a pop up. The Jeep seemed to struggle changing gears and the temp gauge would rise until it did shift but then would go back down. Are these things normal? Do you see that when you tow? Dry my camper weighs 3000 lbs and we didn’t take much with us!
It seems to struggle finding gears a bit. But I towed it 4 hours last weekend each way and it did fine, other than averaging like 8mpg... it’s a trade off, because we have the camper to travel places with the Jeep.

I never noticed anything with the temp gauge, but I don’t really pay attention to it.

Brad41

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLUR firecracker red
With 3,000 lbs dry, you’re likely at the very top of the tow ratings when loaded, even when packing light. What were the exact temp increases? Hills or flat roads? Towing my teardrop, I notice a 15-20 degree increase in oil/transmission temps from time to time, depending on the grade of the roads and speed I’m traveling. I’m towing prob 2,500 all-in with a 200-225 lb tongue weight.

9D478960-E80E-445C-8B69-E42367D4590E.jpeg
10578ADE-9CA1-4474-B0DE-C0C69A08B2BC.jpeg

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Dumb question. What are the bags for? Do they replace a weight distributing hitch?
Air bag suspension can help the rear springs, but shouldn't be used in place of weight distribution. It is important to get some weight back onto the front axle and the air bags don't do that. Here is a good video explaining the shortcoming of using only air bags.

In order to use a WD hitch it is important to also strengthen the hitch receiver. The reason that the Jeep only has a 3500 lb tow rating is the strength of the receiver. Generally, in North America, the aim is to get a minimum of 10% of the trailer weight on the tow ball. So, in reality the Jeep receiver is engineered to carry 350 lbs and when extrapolated the weight of the trailer can only be 10 times the tongue weight or 3500 lbs. A good hitch shop can weld on some strengthening to a cross member to handle the twisting loads of the WD hitch.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Stoney126

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 7.3 superduty4x4/ 17 blacktop rt charger/2000 xj
Those running airbags. Does your offroad articulation take a hit and if so how much are you limited by? I'm in the planning stages for a camper, think beginning of next year for purchase unless I can find a real good deal ona used one.

I've been looking at the rpod 171, hummingbird 16mrb and the 17 rk and the winnie drop 170s. The rk and winnie being the heavier . The rk I think is pushing it a bit .

lightle04

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Sahara JKU
With 3,000 lbs dry, you’re likely at the very top of the tow ratings when loaded, even when packing light. What were the exact temp increases? Hills or flat roads? Towing my teardrop, I notice a 15-20 degree increase in oil/transmission temps from time to time, depending on the grade of the roads and speed I’m traveling. I’m towing prob 2,500 all-in with a 200-225 lb tongue weight.

9D478960-E80E-445C-8B69-E42367D4590E.jpeg
10578ADE-9CA1-4474-B0DE-C0C69A08B2BC.jpeg
We figured out our problem! We have 3:21 gear ratio, which makes our max tow capacity 2000 lbs :( We will have it re geared in the next couple weeks to fix that problem! What would you guys suggest? We are staying stock with our wheels!

lightle04

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Sahara JKU
It seems to struggle finding gears a bit. But I towed it 4 hours last weekend each way and it did fine, other than averaging like 8mpg... it’s a trade off, because we have the camper to travel places with the Jeep.

I never noticed anything with the temp gauge, but I don’t really pay attention to it.
We figured out our problem! We have 3:21 gear ratio, which makes our max tow capacity 2000 lbs :( We will have it re geared in the next couple weeks to fix that problem! What would you guys suggest? We are staying stock with our wheels! We just need it to be able to pull it through the mountains ;) We had a 2500 lb pop up, which we took to the Smokies and the beach before we realized the gear situation and it didn't even break a sweat so I am hoping that changing the gears will give us what we need!

Sponsored

Gogged

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I tow this Casita which is 2500 lbs dry, prob 3000 loaded, hitch weight 365 before I add an Andersen weight distributing hitch. It does pretty well except for steep grades like the Rockies last week. 4:88 gears helped..
uur4ZWXl.jpg

Last edited:

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Picked this up on Saturday; Intech RV Flyer Pursue, 1560 pounds:

B86A3863-BD67-4B64-9BAC-BD9D9523A21B.jpeg

5A38924E-034C-4679-A6D7-0953655842D9.jpeg
So you have had this for a month or two. What do you like and dis like about the Flyer Pursue? We looked at one today and it has made the list of potential trailers. I am wondering where you store food at as there is no galley.

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Snazzberry
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
So you have had this for a month or two. What do you like and dis like about the Flyer Pursue? We looked at one today and it has made the list of potential trailers. I am wondering where you store food at as there is no galley.
We did a weekend trial run and spent a week near Acadia National Park the first week of June, the trailer did great. The Dometic cooler kept the food cold and we kept the dry food in a Rigid lockable tool box. We also use Rigid stackable storage bins to organize all of the gear. I still go back and forth over the head room but I can easily sit up in the trailer. The air conditioner and heater perform great, my only wish would be for a thermostat. If you would like to know more, send me a PM and I will send you me phone number.
Sponsored