Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
My main traveling group. We are 8 days from a 20,000 mile Jeep trip.

1640261319066.png

This was our camp site that week with the others in it.
1640261520280.png
Nice!. How do you like those campers? they look super nice. How heavy is yours fully loaded? I am getting my Colorado hiker 5x8 in a few months. But what you have since like a great upgrade for me for when the kid grows. Will have to add a second tow vehicle though :(. The little 2 door can only do so much.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Mine loaded is between 1
Nice!. How do you like those campers? they look super nice. How heavy is yours fully loaded? I am getting my Colorado hiker 5x8 in a few months. But what you have since like a great upgrade for me for when the kid grows. Will have to add a second tow vehicle though :(. The little 2 door can only do so much.
1800 and 2000 pounds depending on what we have with us. Your Two door would easily pull any of these campers.

Sponsored

Jimac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Mine loaded is between 1

1800 and 2000 pounds depending on what we have with us. Your Two door would easily pull any of these campers.
This my JLR with my OffGridTrailer 1800# dry. Pulls as if not there, but I do need some load leveler rear shocks.

C9F7BC54-7A9C-4FFD-B17B-799D5451CCE3.jpeg

B6EBADB1-51E7-4C94-9200-2F2100E1188C.jpeg

Forerunner22

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' JL Sport 2.0 8spd/ 09' JKU X 3.6 6spd
Occupation
Architect
T@B 320s Boondock. 1800 lbs totally self contained. Curt Echo brake controller. 2019 2DR JLR. Iā€™m at the top end of what I can pull but itā€™s no problem.

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone Tow a Camper? Size? Pics? B6EBADB1-51E7-4C94-9200-2F2100E1188C
What kind of mileage do you get pulling the Tab 320? 3.6 or 2.0?

sheram

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU RUBICON
Occupation
Retired
What kind of mileage do you get pulling the Tab 320? 3.6 or 2.0?
3.6. Iā€™ve since traded for an identical 2021 4 door for the additional towing capacity. BIG improvement! Both get overall 14 mpg. The 320s Boondock, as are most campers, simply too heavy to tow with a 2 door. I tried to justify, kid myself, take a chance, and finally reality won out. In spite of the specs at 1800 lbs. I was at 2320 lbs with water and minimal loaded stuff. Swore Iā€™d never own a 4 door but safety and piece of mind as well as much easier towing are worth the change. The 320s Boondock is great.

Davaug79@

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
What type towing gear did you use? Did you have a sway bar or just a ball?

I'm well aware of my weight distribution. The tongue weight is around 300 lbs (I can actually lift the trailer toungue - grunt! grunt!). Part of the sag is the weight of 3 kids and gear in the back of the Jeep and no one in the front. The Rubicon springs have so much travel that it sags a lot without bottoming-out. Even with that sag, it pulled great. Had some efficiency issues with a head-wind (only 10 mpg) but no sway or bad bumping. Will post the aired-up photos next weekend.

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
What type towing gear did you use? Did you have a sway bar or just a ball?
Just a ball. I've never had any issues with sway while driving. Last year I removed the Airlift and installed a Teraflex lift kit on my Wrangler but because of travel restrictions I haven't towed my camper in a couple of years. I'll find out this summer how it goes.

Sponsored

XanaXand

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Bikini Moab Edition
Weā€™re contemplating getting a travel trailer...read that max weight is 3500lbs, anyone have a trailer that size and have experience towing it with your Jeep?
How does Jeep perform? Easy tow vehicle? Weā€™re new to the trailering experience......
Any advice would
Be much appreciated before we take the plunge....
How did it go with your Jeep? I have a 2019 JLU with the tow package and I'm on the fence between this and a TAB 320S. I see a lot of back and forth on the internet about if a 4 door Jeep can really safely tow the TAB 400. Thanks!

sheram

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU RUBICON
Occupation
Retired
How did it go with your Jeep? I have a 2019 JLU with the tow package and I'm on the fence between this and a TAB 320S. I see a lot of back and forth on the internet about if a 4 door Jeep can really safely tow the TAB 400. Thanks!
I have a 320s Boondock and a JLUR. Itā€™s tows very well but I wouldnā€™t want to tow anything heavier on a long trip. You can tow the 320 with water tanks full and all your stuff. I never understood towing with tanks empty because of the weight-isnā€™t the reason you bought it is to use itā€¦I started out with a JLR and even though the specs were barely met it was a problem on a trip with our gear and water tank filled. Thus the upgrade to a JLUR. I rationalized, pretended it was ok , justified and argued until reality set in. Do yourself a favor and leave yourself 500 lbs or so of ā€œwiggle roomā€ and youā€™ll be happy, if you donā€™t you wonā€™t.

Forerunner22

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' JL Sport 2.0 8spd/ 09' JKU X 3.6 6spd
Occupation
Architect
3.6. Iā€™ve since traded for an identical 2021 4 door for the additional towing capacity. BIG improvement! Both get overall 14 mpg. The 320s Boondock, as are most campers, simply too heavy to tow with a 2 door. I tried to justify, kid myself, take a chance, and finally reality won out. In spite of the specs at 1800 lbs. I was at 2320 lbs with water and minimal loaded stuff. Swore Iā€™d never own a 4 door but safety and piece of mind as well as much easier towing are worth the change. The 320s Boondock is great.

Thanks for this info! Did the 2 door feel like it was being pushed around or unstable? Or was it just knowing you were over the 2k limit that made you swap?

We live full-time in our 6x10 cargo conversion, about 2k loaded. Just bought a new 22'JL Sport 2.0 to replace our 09' JKU.

I'm not sure if we should try pulling it with our new 2 door, or just break down and buy a Scamp 13 or Tab 320... can't afford a 4dr JLU.

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone Tow a Camper? Size? Pics? 20210523_162229

sheram

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU RUBICON
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for this info! Did the 2 door feel like it was being pushed around or unstable? Or was it just knowing you were over the 2k limit that made you swap?

We live full-time in our 6x10 cargo conversion, about 2k loaded. Just bought a new 22'JL Sport 2.0 to replace our 09' JKU.

I'm not sure if we should try pulling it with our new 2 door, or just break down and buy a Scamp 13 or Tab 320... can't afford a 4dr JLU.

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone Tow a Camper? Size? Pics? 20210523_162229
It felt like it was driving the Jeep. Very bouncy. When I picked it up it seemed fine empty. But as soon as I put water and bare minimal stuff in it things went south. I swore Iā€™d never buy a 4 door but now I have no regrets. Loaded with water a small generator and minimal stuff It weighs almost 2400 lbs. the whole point of the camper is to be self contained so whatā€™s the point of pulling it emptyā€¦never understood that.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
2018 Taxa Tiger Moth. 12' camper trailer with rooftop tent. 1300 lb. dry weight, probably 1800-1900 fully loaded.

We actually bought the Jeep because so we could buy and tow this trailer. Believe it or not, using it as an offroad 4x4 vehicle was an unintended consequence, so I have the trailer to thank for opening me up to the true Jeep lifestyle. :)

One of my next mods is going to be Air Lift helper bags in the rear springs. These pics are old, before I had my current lift but I've got a squat problem in the rear with my new springs.
How well has it held up? I finally seen one in person, pretty impressive.
Sponsored