Sponsored

Anyone Tow a Camper? Size? Pics?

Abnmarine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Geo-Pro 15TB. 2670 lbs with a hitch weight of 362 lbs.

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone Tow a Camper? Size? Pics? KIMG0938

We are about to purchase a Geo Pro 15TB and tow it with our 2020 JLU Willys with the 2.0 turbo. Could you share how it tows with your setup?

What engine do you have?

MPGs towing and without the trailer just to get a idea.

Any issues with the camper and how do you like the size?

It will just be the wife and I using ours. We’ve had several different types of RVs in the past but want something smaller this time. I already have a weight distribution hitch and will install a brake controller.

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
We are about to purchase a Geo Pro 15TB and tow it with our 2020 JLU Willys with the 2.0 turbo. Could you share how it tows with your setup?

What engine do you have?

MPGs towing and without the trailer just to get a idea.

Any issues with the camper and how do you like the size?

It will just be the wife and I using ours. We’ve had several different types of RVs in the past but want something smaller this time. I already have a weight distribution hitch and will install a brake controller.
You do not need a weight distribution hitch. the trailer is not heavy enough for one. you should get a brake controller. the trailer comes equipped with electronic braking and its a big comfort having it. You should get a sway bar, this makes a huge difference. We drove it across country and it did wonderfully. We have a 3.6L automatic, 2.5 inch lift with 35" tires. Before the lift and tires i was getting 17mpg. after lift and tires i was getting 15mpg. Now, i do drive about 70-75mph. and i notice that it does take away significantly from my mileage. Towing the trailer, I was getting 10.5 mpg at 70-75 mph and I was getting closer to 13 when I kept it below 65mph. The mileage figures while towing was calculated during the entire 5,000 mile trip over a 3 week period. so I think it is a good estimate. Cruise Control became my best friend, and I adjusted my speed by using the + and- acceleration button.

We did not get a chance to boondock but we did stop at rest stops, truck stops, some RV sites during the Road trip and did not use full hookup till we got to our destination in Moab. We hooked up only power and used the local restrooms while in transit. First day we traveled 800 miles then 500 miles each day after that till we reached Moab. We did install a second battery and the 100 watt solar panel keeps them charged 100% each day. You will have to calculate your own battery consumption at night.

It is just me and my wife and we found that it is a little tight inside when both of us wish to maneuver inside but we have adjusted to it by restricting our activities inside. If she is cooking then I'm outside or laying on the bed. and visa versa. I love cooking with the Grill so i spend a lot of time outside. The only time it becomes an issue is when we both get ready for bed and we are shuffling for bathroom or sink space so we just take turns and wait till the other settles in. not hard to deal with at all. The 15TB works great for us because we can Maneuver it better and get it into any Campground. We can even back it into Tent sites if the campground allows.

Jeepster_Aus

First Name
Renier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
It’s quite interesting to note the 3,500lbs towing capacity in the US. In Australia it’s 2,495kg (5,500lbs) with a max towball weight of 250kg (550lbs). But on the other hand our Gladiators are more limited in towing than the US models.

Abnmarine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
You do not need a weight distribution hitch. the trailer is not heavy enough for one. you should get a brake controller. the trailer comes equipped with electronic braking and its a big comfort having it. You should get a sway bar, this makes a huge difference. We drove it across country and it did wonderfully. We have a 3.6L automatic, 2.5 inch lift with 35" tires. Before the lift and tires i was getting 17mpg. after lift and tires i was getting 15mpg. Now, i do drive about 70-75mph. and i notice that it does take away significantly from my mileage. Towing the trailer, I was getting 10.5 mpg at 70-75 mph and I was getting closer to 13 when I kept it below 65mph. The mileage figures while towing was calculated during the entire 5,000 mile trip over a 3 week period. so I think it is a good estimate. Cruise Control became my best friend, and I adjusted my speed by using the + and- acceleration button.

We did not get a chance to boondock but we did stop at rest stops, truck stops, some RV sites during the Road trip and did not use full hookup till we got to our destination in Moab. We hooked up only power and used the local restrooms while in transit. First day we traveled 800 miles then 500 miles each day after that till we reached Moab. We did install a second battery and the 100 watt solar panel keeps them charged 100% each day. You will have to calculate your own battery consumption at night.

It is just me and my wife and we found that it is a little tight inside when both of us wish to maneuver inside but we have adjusted to it by restricting our activities inside. If she is cooking then I'm outside or laying on the bed. and visa versa. I love cooking with the Grill so i spend a lot of time outside. The only time it becomes an issue is when we both get ready for bed and we are shuffling for bathroom or sink space so we just take turns and wait till the other settles in. not hard to deal with at all. The 15TB works great for us because we can Maneuver it better and get it into any Campground. We can even back it into Tent sites if the campground allows.
I really appreciate the in-depth review. It’s been very helpful in how it works with the Jeep. I’m averaging 25 mpg with my 2.0 turbo at 70 mph and always tow at 60-65 mph. I’d be happy with 13 mpgs or better. It’s not so much the mileage that I’m after but the range per tank of fuel. Stopping every 2-3 hrs for gas works well for us.

I too like how nimble this camper is when combined with the Jeep. Glad to hear that you are happy with it and that it works well. Yes it has its limitations but as long as we know this prior to the purchase I can handle it.

We’ve had all types of RVs before but want to stay with something smaller and the Geo Pro comes with a lot of extras compared to others.
Thanks again!

Sponsored

Badweissenbier

First Name
Bad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR
It’s quite interesting to note the 3,500lbs towing capacity in the US. In Australia it’s 2,495kg (5,500lbs) with a max towball weight of 250kg (550lbs). But on the other hand our Gladiators are more limited in towing than the US models.
I’ve heard other countries have stricter towing laws as the reason. In the USA it’s kind of a run what ya brung type thing. I see people hauling trailers doing stupid fast speeds all the time, not hitched up right even though they have a WD hitch, all kinds of crazy stuff.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Fore those towing near or above the limits (or any trailer with brakes) replace the trailer drum brakes with Disc Brakes. We tow a 41' 5th wheel with our 2019 Ram 3500 CC SB and the upgraded Disc brakes on the trailer were AMAZING, the safety advantage is 10 fold with Disc over drum. The bigger issue is drums require regular maintenance and adjustment which is rarely done by RV owners. The Stock brakes on 99% of trailers are low quality JUNK... Also Air lift suspension will help reduce sway and stabilize the tow, this is not for the lift but stabilization and it also transfer more weight to the from axel of the tow vehicle thus also improving control and braking.
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone Tow a Camper? Size? Pics? Jeep-Montana

mazakari

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon VW T5 Custom Camper 1971 Glastron V143
We tow with our JLUR 2.0 - pulls really well although with both the Jeep and the RV having ‘slab’ sides, a cross wind can get a bit interesting !!

Our RV trailer comes in at 1710kg (just under 3800 lbs) and the 2.0 has no problem hauling it everywhere. In the UK we’re limited to 50mph and 60mph on the motorway/highway - sticking to those limits we averaged 21 mpg (just over 17 mpg US) over a recent 1400 mile trip.

Not had any issues with sag but I do run the rear tyres up at 39psi to minimise any side-wall roll which in turn limits any sway especially in a cross wind or passing big trucks on the highway.

Always a conversation starter wherever we pitch up. Not many Wranglers on this side of the pond and even fewer pulling 26ft RV trailers !!!
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone Tow a Camper? Size? Pics? C767174E-4CCD-4ACD-BF92-DB5E641C3120
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone Tow a Camper? Size? Pics? A3A82F21-8DC7-4359-AC17-2F0ED092518A

AZHUND

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2018 CX-5, 2020 RAM 1500 BTS
Meant to post this months ago, but guess I was too busy using it. Went with an Intech Pursue and so far so good. Both Jeep and truck 'look good' towing it and well within the JL's towing limits (and <1/5 the RAM's limit...).

IMG-2741.jpg

IMG-3173.jpg

Olyclimber

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLUR , 1972 Waggy
Vehicle Showcase
My Build. We call it the Taco Wagon. It goes almost anywhere the Jeep goes!
Timbren Off-road axles and a Max Coupler Hitch. The trailer is on 30's but has more ground clearance then the JLUR on 35's.
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone Tow a Camper? Size? Pics? Moab Cam
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone Tow a Camper? Size? Pics? Trailer

Sponsored

Ismor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Our RV trailer comes in at 1710kg (just under 3800 lbs) and the 2.0 has no problem hauling it everywhere.
That's impressive! Just to be clear: The weight that you mention (1,710Kg/3800 lbs.) is net weight or includes supplies and equipment (water, food, etc.)?

Ismor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Interesting! Do you have a link to the Australian specifications?

Last edited:

mazakari

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon VW T5 Custom Camper 1971 Glastron V143
That's impressive! Just to be clear: The weight that you mention (1,710Kg/3800 lbs.) is net weight or includes supplies and equipment (water, food, etc.)?
Thats a max weight for the RV trailer - all equipment and essential items. We tend to travel with the water tanks empty(ish) which gives us a more payload (Beer anyone ?? ) I tend to load the Jeep with heavier items if the kids aren’t coming. A bit of planning before a trip but it’s part of the fun !!

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Here’s our latest setup...

The camper is a Hiker Mid-Range 5x8.

This was our first short tip of the Spring with the Jeep purchased in January. Formerly towed the rig with an FJ Cruiser.
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone Tow a Camper? Size? Pics? 20200811_185346
Awesome! thats the trailer I am ordering next year. 2 door JL here too with tow package rubi suspension. How is towing with the 2 door without trailer brakes? I am thinking optioning my trailer with brakes, but then I am gonna habe to figure out the whole brake controller thing.
Sponsored