Anyone Tow a Camper? Size? Pics?

LUV2JEEP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 F150 XLT
Runaway 6x8 Rangerunner. 900lbs from factory. No wood. Nothing to rot. Installed 3000watt pure sine wave inverter, 120 Amp charger, (4) Battleborn 100AH batteries, battery monitor, tongue toolbox, TV, Lighting, fridge and microwave. Love it. Get ~15mpg towing 65-70mph. Same gas mileage I get not towing.

PHOTO_20200604_201155.jpg

PHOTO_20200604_201144.jpg

PHOTO_20200604_201209.jpg

PHOTO_20200314_103118.jpg
Sponsored

laueddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon (Black - Hardtop)
It will be my first time towing anything. I am still doing my research, but has started prepping my Jeep for the task. I upgraded my hitch with Draw-Tite Hitch which I don't even have a clue how this going to help, but it is a class III rated with a higher TW. My Brake controller should arrive in a few weeks.
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone Tow a Camper? Size? Pics? 1592037594138

The trailer I have been considering is OPUS OP4 https://www.opuscamper.us/off-road/ which I think will be close to 3500-3600# when loaded, because of the off-road style hitch, I don't think it's possible add additional accessories for Weight distribution or sway control. I am hoping the lower profile and the good suspensions can made up for the lag of the other tow/safety accessories. What's everyone opinions?

JZ JEEP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 2-Door
I've just read every post in this string. Whoosh! Lots of good information for a first-time tower.

I have a 2D JL with the factory tow package. I'd like to find a camper within the weight limit that has a toilet/shower. I'm sure I'm not the only one to research this so throw your favorite make/models my way, please.

Thanks!

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I've just read every post in this string. Whoosh! Lots of good information for a first-time tower.

I have a 2D JL with the factory tow package. I'd like to find a camper within the weight limit that has a toilet/shower. I'm sure I'm not the only one to research this so throw your favorite make/models my way, please.

Thanks!
T@B

en2coasty

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2002 tj

Thanks!

Sponsored

en2coasty

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2002 tj
I tow a Retro 135 with a 2018 JLU. The Retro 135 or 166 is 2540 and 2500 dry wt so maybe at your max tow wt. We avg 13.1 mpg on last trip (300+ miles). 3.6 and 8spd auto.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Any concerns about towing something long distance behind a JL with wheel spacers? Is that going to put massive stress on the wheel spacers or other issues?

BCool

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Tuscadero Sahara 4xe
Any concerns about towing something long distance behind a JL with wheel spacers? Is that going to put massive stress on the wheel spacers or other issues?
What’s long distance? I’ve towed 3k lbs twice for 4-5 hours at a time with mine; no issues yet.

Sponsored

nikkereed

First Name
Nikke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Reed
yes that i not easy

BCool

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Tuscadero Sahara 4xe
Perfect thanks. Did you notice any handing or steering difference after you added the spacers? I’d think with the wider stance that it might make it steer slightly better.
I did not, but I am not usually one to notice small changes in handling/suspension.

Coastie6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 2-Door

Thanks!
That's going to be tough with a 2-door. Your tow capacity is 2,000 pounds. Most of what folks posting in this thread are towing with are 4-door JLUs. The 4-doors have a 3,500 pound tow capacity. Also remember to factor in proper tongue weight. It needs to be about 10% of the trailer weight with a 200lb max on your 2-door.

It's not about tow capability of the Wrangler motors, most of the motor options can tow a lot more than their tow rating. The issue with Jeep Wranglers is the short wheelbase and vehicle weight. These impact the ability to stop the trailer and to prevent loss of control and jackknifing if the trailer starts to sway. I'm not sure where you are in Missouri, but here in the SWMO the roads are hilly and winding. If you get on a long winding downhill and the trailer starts swaying and pushing you, you'll gain an appreciation for the saying "the tail wagging the dog"

The TAB might look like it will work, but that's "dry weight" meaning nothing in it. Start adding gear, a battery, water, etc, etc and you'll find yourself well over the rated tow capacity of your Jeep. Not sure what you'll find with the your desired bathroom/shower combo that will be towable with your setup. All that being said, there are a lot of people on the road towing over the max rating of their vehicles. And yes, you'll hear arguments like "in Europe my vehicle is rated with a higher tow capacity". That might be true, but last time I looked this wasn't Europe. If you have an accident and are grossly over your vehicles tow rating some attorney will ensure you pay through the nose.

A small pop-up like this or a Small A-liners such as this, or hybrid tent camper like the Sylvan Sport GO all might work well for you. Remember, if you're primarily camping at State and Federal parks here in the Ozarks, most have bathhouse facilities. For times when you plan to boondock, a porta-potti and a sun shower can suffice. None of these campers is built or rated for real offroad boondocking. If that's what you want, there are some great examples in this thread. Regardless of what you go, give serious consideration to at a minimum adding a friction anti-sway bar or even better, an Andersen WDH either of these will provide added safety when towing. Also note that some campers may have electric brakes, if they do, you'll need to add a brake controller to your Wrangler.

Best of luck in your search!

JZ JEEP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 2-Door
That's going to be tough with a 2-door. Your tow capacity is 2,000 pounds. Most of what folks posting in this thread are towing with are 4-door JLUs. The 4-doors have a 3,500 pound tow capacity. Also remember to factor in proper tongue weight. It needs to be about 10% of the trailer weight with a 200lb max on your 2-door.

It's not about tow capability of the Wrangler motors, most of the motor options can tow a lot more than their tow rating. The issue with Jeep Wranglers is the short wheelbase and vehicle weight. These impact the ability to stop the trailer and to prevent loss of control and jackknifing if the trailer starts to sway. I'm not sure where you are in Missouri, but here in the SWMO the roads are hilly and winding. If you get on a long winding downhill and the trailer starts swaying and pushing you, you'll gain an appreciation for the saying "the tail wagging the dog"

The TAB might look like it will work, but that's "dry weight" meaning nothing in it. Start adding gear, a battery, water, etc, etc and you'll find yourself well over the rated tow capacity of your Jeep. Not sure what you'll find with the your desired bathroom/shower combo that will be towable with your setup. All that being said, there are a lot of people on the road towing over the max rating of their vehicles. And yes, you'll hear arguments like "in Europe my vehicle is rated with a higher tow capacity". That might be true, but last time I looked this wasn't Europe. If you have an accident and are grossly over your vehicles tow rating some attorney will ensure you pay through the nose.

A small pop-up like this or a Small A-liners such as this, or hybrid tent camper like the Sylvan Sport GO all might work well for you. Remember, if you're primarily camping at State and Federal parks here in the Ozarks, most have bathhouse facilities. For times when you plan to boondock, a porta-potti and a sun shower can suffice. None of these campers is built or rated for real offroad boondocking. If that's what you want, there are some great examples in this thread. Regardless of what you go, give serious consideration to at a minimum adding a friction anti-sway bar or even better, an Andersen WDH either of these will provide added safety when towing. Also note that some campers may have electric brakes, if they do, you'll need to add a brake controller to your Wrangler.

Best of luck in your search!
Thanks for the thorough and helpful post!!
Sponsored