Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR, ‘07 Toyota FJ Cruiser & 1968 IH Scout 800
Vehicle Showcase
Here’s our latest setup...

The camper is a Hiker Mid-Range 5x8.

This was our first short tip of the Spring with the Jeep purchased in January. Formerly towed the rig with an FJ Cruiser.
4E177037-FD70-409C-BC51-B1D5082AC33E.jpeg
345F20C0-94EF-4049-8ADB-93F8F21488CD.jpeg
EE01BD9B-F2C4-4B84-9C9B-A56801FE082B.jpeg

CallMeJoe

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I am aware that everyone is either unaware or completely ignores this, but in addition to the trailer and tongue maximum weight, the JK and JL owner's manual specifies a "maximum trailer frontal area" of 32 square feet. That's your trailer's height times it's width. My trailer has a 3o square foot frontal area, and it's not very big. It's in your manual under "Trailer towing".
Don't yell at me, (some folks have) because I didn't write the manual. I don't know what the laminar flow cross section of a Jeep pulling a trailer looks like, but you can bet someone does or it wouldn't be in the owners manual.

Last edited:

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Wait, does the Mopar lift already come on the 2020 Rubi, or does it actually take it higher? Very interesting if higher than stock height. I may be up for that.
That is a Rubicon with an additional 2" Mopar lift. My dealer installed before I purchased. I put the same BFG KO2s that come factory so I think its deceiving in pics. Those are 37" tires.

Golfshrink

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR, ‘07 Toyota FJ Cruiser & 1968 IH Scout 800
Vehicle Showcase
I am aware that everyone is either unaware or completely ignores this, but in addition to the trailer and tongue maximum weight, the JK and JL owner's manual specifies a "maximum trailer frontal area" of 32 square feet. That's your trailer's height times it's width. My trailer has a 3o square foot frontal area, and it's not very big. It's in your manual under "Trailer towing".
Don't yell at me, (some folks have) because I didn't write the manual. I don't know what the laminar flow cross section of a Jeep pulling a trailer looks like, but you can bet someone does or it wouldn't be in the owners manual.
I don’t know how exactly the square footage is figured but my trailer box is 5’ wide. It is 3’ 4” tall in the front but 4’ tall in the back at its maximum height...so 20 square feet, even if you don’t consider the sloped roof and taper to the “frontal area”. Let also assume I should figure a bit of square footage for the fenders and the roof rack/spare tire which would create drag...I think I’m still safely under the 32’ recommendation.

In any case, I wouldn't think anyone would make the case that a 2 door wrangler is an ideal tow vehicle. However, in the case of my little camper which is well under the total weight, tongue weight and frontal area specs, it handles it very gracefully. That being said, my initial trip was only about 70 miles round trip and with relatively moderate winds by Kansas standards (~20-25 mph). Time will tell how the Jeep handles on I-70 in western Kansas with a 40mph headwind/crosswind and in the Colorado Rockies once we get there but early indications are that it won’t be a problem. I will also say the 2.0T engine & 8 sped auto handle the pulling duties more effortlessly than the 4.0 v6 w/ 5 speed auto in my FJ which served as a more than capable TV for me in the past.

Sponsored

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
don't get sucked in to talk about frontal area. don't get sucked in to talk about frontal area. don't get sucked in to talk about frontal area...

CallMeJoe

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Golfshrink,
Yes, the great plains are a slog. My teardrop is like an anchor at highway speeds in a headwind. Just gotta bite a stick and slow down to whatever is comfortable for you. With my rig, I can do the headwind shuffle across Nebraska or South Dakota at decent highway speeds but the mileage takes a nosedive. My 2.0 automatic combination does a great job, but I don't beat on it. If I can do 55 mph into a 30 mph headwind and the Jeep isn't laboring too hard, I'll take that. Done it many times in both my JLUR (2.0 8 speed with 4.10 gears) and my JK 3.6 auto with 3.73 gears and for me, the JL is the better mule.

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
The frontal area criteria is why I went with the Trail Manor 2720. While not much to look at, it collapses down to about a third of it's erected size. Pulling it with the kids and a bunch of gear I still get around 20 mpg going 75 mph with the 2.0T.
48919485216_bdbca56b8b_h.jpg

49780799928_a5137a6e86_h.jpg

49781332766_89c4916ca1_h.jpg

@OUTDOORTREE

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I'm looking at I think a very similar model from Jayco, which has 3250 UVW. How much does yours weight and what model ?
Weight with full tanks is 3500. That’s the max for the Jeep. It’s not easy pulling when loaded up with water and everything but not horrible. I wouldn’t pull cross country but within a hundred or miles or so it does great.

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) Rubicon - 2020

Sponsored

Hookem!

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL
Sold my A frame pop up and got a R pod 180 it is a lot heavier then the pop up So now i am thinking about selling the Jl and buying a JT to pull the extra weight. As i get older comfort really start to be important. it never ends

IMG_0563.JPG

IMG_0614.JPG
I have the same a frame as you. Looking at RPOD to pull with by Rubi. RPOD too much? How about mpg?

Badweissenbier

First Name
Bad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR
I pull an rpod 190 with a stock 3.6 manual jlur.
I do use a weight distribution hitch and sway bar but I’ve had no problems here in the hills of WV.

User Banned

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Guitars & Drums

Eliana-JLU

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Wrangler Sport S
Sold my A frame pop up and got a R pod 180 it is a lot heavier then the pop up So now i am thinking about selling the Jl and buying a JT to pull the extra weight. As i get older comfort really start to be important. it never ends

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone Tow a Camper? Size? Pics? 49781332766_89c4916ca1_h

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone Tow a Camper? Size? Pics? 49781332766_89c4916ca1_h
What size drop shank do you have for your hitch?
Sponsored