Anyone Tow a Camper? Size? Pics?

Mattius1337

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S(JL)
Ours is about 1200lbs fully loaded. Has electric breaks since im in a mountainous area. Pulled up to whistler perfectly a few weeks back, and got 19.8mpg over a 340km round trip, which is pretty decent.

2D5levZs.jpeg

bH64rjO8.jpeg
Sponsored

TuTTerZZ12

First Name
Ryan Tuthill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Punk’n
Occupation
USAF SF
@Jeff1 - Initial impressions are mostly positive, I looked at several brands online but only the IntechRV and NuCamp RV were available to get my hands on within a reasonable difference. My local dealer who carries NoBo trailers did not have the 10.5 then called to say it was discontinued. I looked at the following online for extensive research: Hiker Trailer, Vestibule, Taxa Cricket and Tiger Moth, Bean trailers, and many more.

We went on a practice run this past weekend and it did great, we came away with several take-aways on what we forgot or can do better but nothing about the trailer. We did order the screens for the side and back doors and I am looking to add another Batwing awning to the drivers side. The only negative is lack of space for a propane tank, the 2019+ models have a tool box on the tongue and the stove takes the 1lb disposable propane cylinders which I consider wasteful and expensive compared to getting a tank filled.

I am also looking at solar options but have to keep the mounting low so it can still fit in the garage, with the off road package and lift kit I have about a 1/2” clearance to the top of the garage opening.

The true test is in 2 weeks when we go to Acadia National Park for 8 days.
where are you from? I’m looking at campers right now and live an hour away from Acadia National park.

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Snazzberry
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
where are you from? I’m looking at campers right now and live an hour away from Acadia National park.
Live in Ohio, the drive was around 15-1/2 hours. Jeep towed the trailer great and had an amazing week. Want to go back for fall colors but the campground we stayed at is booked through September.

F93FF7A2-F4C0-4E97-8424-D9CEDA123FEE.jpeg

CA263EE2-CF87-4664-B08C-23B91CE87FEA.jpeg

4960B180-6E18-45A7-B439-E227B7233993.jpeg

D3ABADAE-516F-4603-9774-2BE0FD511DFB.jpeg

080D33CE-EA23-413F-9F00-E851436828C4.jpeg

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
Live in Ohio, the drive was around 15-1/2 hours. Jeep towed the trailer great and had an amazing week. Want to go back for fall colors but the campground we stayed at is booked through September.
080D33CE-EA23-413F-9F00-E851436828C4.jpeg
Beautiful photos! We're going there in a month. Unfortunately Stella (the Jeep) won't be joining us. But we will be introducing our daughter to the national park that we named her after.

Goblin42

First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
Mine might be a tad over 3500lbs... Good weight distributing hitch with sway control and it tows well.

20180707_170432.jpg
what does the air stream way? now that it's been a year since you posted it, hows it still towing?

Sponsored

bobzdar

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Rubicon X 4XE, '23 Defender 130
what does the air stream way? now that it's been a year since you posted it, hows it still towing?
Around 5k lbs loaded. I towed it for around a year, including to upstate ny, but traded the jlur in on a gladiator Rubicon as I got a great deal and wanted the extra cargo capacity. I had zero issues with the jlur, it was great and the towing experience was almost exactly the same. The gladiator, to my surprise, does not feel any more stable and if anything feels more susceptible to cross winds. However, both handled it without issue or complaint - now I just have more room for our bikes and similar. I liked the jlur so much I got a virtually identical gladiator.

20190527_151038.jpg

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
So you’ve had this for a while now. What are your thoughts? How does it tow? I’m torn between this one and the 174BH. The weights are about the same and I kinda like the bunk house beds. The only thing I don’t know about is the AC. The smaller model has a side mounted AC unit (either 7000 or 8000 BTU). Not sure how that will do here in Florida. But except for your wheels, this is exactly what myth Mojito would look like towing one of these.

harleypap57

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JL
Occupation
Flight Communications for Medical Helicopter
Vehicle Showcase
I wondered why a JLU had a much lower tow rating then a GC (5000 lbs) and a Durango (6200lbs) when equipped with the same motor and trans, and comparble wheelbase.
Wondering the same. Looking at specs of European Model JL's and they are rated at 5,500 pound towing with the same equipment as mine.

harleypap57

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Sahara JL
Occupation
Flight Communications for Medical Helicopter
Vehicle Showcase
Around 5k lbs loaded. I towed it for around a year, including to upstate ny, but traded the jlur in on a gladiator Rubicon as I got a great deal and wanted the extra cargo capacity. I had zero issues with the jlur, it was great and the towing experience was almost exactly the same. The gladiator, to my surprise, does not feel any more stable and if anything feels more susceptible to cross winds. However, both handled it without issue or complaint - now I just have more room for our bikes and similar. I liked the jlur so much I got a virtually identical gladiator.

20190527_151038.jpg
When towing your Airstream with your JL did you change the rear receiver or anything else? We're looking at a few travel trailers but they are right around 4,000 pounds. Brakes and a Weight Distribution Hitch are one the top of our list but wondering what else? I'm really confused when looking at the specs for JL's in Germany, England and some other countries and find their towing at 5,500 pounds. (Or maybe I'm reading it wrong)

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Wondering the same. Looking at specs of European Model JL's and they are rated at 5,500 pound towing with the same equipment as mine.
The Jeep Wrangler hitch receiver is only designed for a maximum tongue weight of 350 lbs. In North America we generally have the tongue weight at 10 - 15% of the trailer weight (in Europe they have much lower tongue weights - 6%.) This translates into a maximum trailer weight of 3,500 lbs to keep that 10% tongue weight. The higher the % of tongue weight the higher the speed you can travel and have a stable trailer (i.e. doesn't sway). In Europe they travel much more slowly than in NA so they can have lower tongue weights.

In order to tow a heavier trailer, with a heavier tongue weight you need to strengthen the receiver. From a Class II to a Class IV. A good hitch shop can do this - usually be welding on a strong support - from the receiver to the first frame cross member. It has to be a curved piece to go around the muffler, unless you do a muffler delete and install an axle-back tail pipe.

Sponsored

Jgeiken

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
So you’ve had this for a while now. What are your thoughts? How does it tow? I’m torn between this one and the 174BH. The weights are about the same and I kinda like the bunk house beds. The only thing I don’t know about is the AC. The smaller model has a side mounted AC unit (either 7000 or 8000 BTU). Not sure how that will do here in Florida. But except for your wheels, this is exactly what myth Mojito would look like towing one of these.
Not sure who you are replying to in this one, but get the roof mounted AC, especially if you live somewhere hot (like FL). I have a Jayco x17z that weighs about the same as the 174bh and it goes great.

Zillon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 JKU Backcountry
So you have had this for a month or two. What do you like and dis like about the Flyer Pursue? We looked at one today and it has made the list of potential trailers. I am wondering where you store food at as there is no galley.
I just picked mine up last week and did our first trip in it on Tuesday.

You've got a few places for storage in the Pursue:
1) Small lockable storage under the stove, between the gas bottle and the fridge
2) Cold items in the fridge
3) Storage space over the slide-out kitchen inside
4) Add a tongue box

We love it though. Small, light, easy to tow, and it gave us everything we wanted for quick and easy camping.

c2c88e64169d6f4149356d70e054fa86.jpg

4f281d61d95ed43beddb22903322054b.jpg

b6c581d18f55c669163bfcf79be70f20.jpg

Badweissenbier

First Name
Bad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR
0CB3DB8E-492C-43F2-B37E-D9A2A217B783.jpeg

We are pulling an R-pod 190, about 3k lbs. Have a WD hitch to keep things level. No problems pulling it, I do hit 3rd gear on the long big hills here in WV.
Sponsored