Sponsored

Anyone Tow a Camper? Size? Pics?

Rhinozeroone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0
Does anybody tow with 37" tires?
I am looking at moving up to 37s from my current 35s and want to get a towable. Wife says we need to have a bathroom for camping trips so that limits our choices. Anyway, does anyone tow something around 3500lbs with 37" tires?
We did. A Coachmen Apex Nano 187RB with no problems. 11 MPG with them on average.
Sponsored

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Snazzberry
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
Gorgeous trailer. This would be my choice. Any issues towing? Did you mod your Jeep in any way to assist in towing?
No issues towing, no modifications to the Jeep. We use an Andersen weight distribution hitch to level and for sway control. We pack light and do not carry any water in the fresh water tank or gray tank while towing to stay under GCWR.

Weird Wint

First Name
Wint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport S 2-Door
Here is my new set-up, 2018 Scamp 13'. I can't wait for some warmer weather.

With Scamp.jpg
Loving this setup. I have a 2 door as well and these 13' scamps seem like the best option to get out and see the world. is your jeep manual? let us know about your setup with tow hitch and wiring, electric trailer brakes etc..

Sponsored

JeepsNSnow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 JKU (sold), 1991 TJ (RIP)
Does anybody tow with 37" tires?
I am looking at moving up to 37s from my current 35s and want to get a towable. Wife says we need to have a bathroom for camping trips so that limits our choices. Anyway, does anyone tow something around 3500lbs with 37" tires?
I'm on 37s with 5.13s and tow this camper (sorry about the sun), ~2K lbs... 13.2 mpg with trailer, 17 mpg without. Pulls great and feels as stable as a lifted jeep can on the highway.
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone Tow a Camper? Size? Pics? tempImagetrtcHh

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
Here is my new set-up, 2018 Scamp 13'. I can't wait for some warmer weather.

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone Tow a Camper? Size? Pics? caping 2
I too have a 2 door Sport S.

Your post above is now 6 months old.

1: How does the van tow?
2: What about braking?
3: Any trailer sway?

Sponsored

Steve F

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, JKU
Need to get a better pic but we are locked down at the moment. The trailer has a max weight of 3500lb but is normally at 2600-2700lb with a tow ball weight of around 350lb, Jeep is rated to tow 5500lb. I have airbags in the rear and a RedArc tow pro 3 elite brake controller with a 2" hitch and a McHitch Automatic coupling (Google it if you haven't seen them). I have only towed it once with the JL and that was before the airbags went in, did do lots of miles with the JK Rubicon (3.8 4 speed Auto) though, it's night and day compared to the JLUR :)

Jeep is a 3.6 auto with 305/70R17's and 2" lift, tows great, got 15mpg last run on steep hilly terrain, the fact the camper is lower than the roof of the Jeep and not as wide really helps, also makes it great offroad.

Before the airbags went in and the auto hitch want on.

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone Tow a Camper? Size? Pics? 20210611_170257

Mine on the left of the pic and a mates Patriot camper towed by hie JLUR.

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone Tow a Camper? Size? Pics? 20181026_161124

mikem20

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
37's and pulls great with no issues.
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone Tow a Camper? Size? Pics? 20170102_104423
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone Tow a Camper? Size? Pics? 20170102_104423

How’s the GeoPro holding up so far? I really dig this setup. As far as how it drives and tows, would you be comfortable driving cross country with that??

MarioC

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU RUBICON
How’s the GeoPro holding up so far? I really dig this setup. As far as how it drives and tows, would you be comfortable driving cross country with that??
So far so good, it has everything we need in a small package. The quality is top notch and we've had no issue so far. Room wise, my wife wishes we would have gotten the 19FT version, however that's a 600lbs jump in weight. For towing, with my set up on 37's, I really feel that I'm maxed out for towing safely with my 15ft model at 2700lbs dry. That being said, with the camper full of gear, it tows really well. Holds highway speeds all day long and has very minimal sway. I do run a weight distribution hitch and that really helps.
We are leaving for a 2 week trip in September and I should know more after that. If all goes well, our plain is to take 2 months off next year and travel from the eastern coast of Canada, to Colorado, Utah, Wyoming and Montana before looping back and making our way home.
Sponsored