Sponsored

Anyone think Jeep will move to IFS in 2023?

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I think bronco sales went up after the OJ thing, but I don't blame them using it as an excuse and saying they wanted to step up to something bigger. We can all speculate and conjecture what and why, but in the end the bronco died and Jeep didn't. My guess is the obvious, that they were disconnected from their customer base and their improvements and changes to the model failed to meet their target audiences desires and sales ultimately dropped. It seems like Jeep stayed more true to it's roots and customers continued to support it. Sometimes, if ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm glad Jeep has been more in tune with it's customer base for so long and hope it continues. Although they did put square headlights on it once. What were they thinking? :facepalm:

Oh, I do agree with you though, that the bronco seemed more like it was in competition to the K blazer, but the blazer died too. Funny, it started with a SFA, did it switch to IFS before it was killed also? I really think GM should have seen what Jeep and Ford were doing and brought the blazer back similar to like what Ford did with the bronco.
IIRC, GM switched to IFS in 87 for 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks, 91 for 1 tons, Blazers and Suburbans.

In 95 they switched to Chevy Tahoe/GMC Youkon. You could get a 2door in the early days of these.

Now the Blazer is a cross over.
Sponsored

BrierPatch

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU80, 15 WK2, 13 Silverado 1500. Had: 02 TJ
I think a lot of people were disappointed with the re-use of the blazer name, but not as much as Pontiac with GTO. Some icons should be left alone or given proper treatment like the bronco.

vegasblue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I feel for you.
Good news is you’re between Zion, Grand Canyon and Death Valley which is what I use Vegas as a jumping off point for, but Vegas itself and the surrounding immediate area look…well. I wasn’t sure if I was looking at “nature” or construction debris.

Seriously though, did you actually like break a steering knuckle in Canyonlands or something in your 4 Runner and decide to go Jeep or did you just want to participate in Jeep Jamboree?
It was a multitude of things that drove me away. Mostly just came down to capability for what I was doing which was mostly rock crawling. Had to get winched several times, tires up in the air, couple trail fixes, bead issues, those electronics sounding like they were ripping the vehicle apart. It wasn't just off road though. Got terrible mileage, no power, ride, interior was terrible. Mostly personal and I figure it would make a great trail ride, just not what I do most the time.

I paid for one Jamboree just to experience it but probably will not do it again. I hit Trail Hero and Winter Jam yearly, but most the time I'm in Utah or Big Bear. Around here, sure, but it is what it is. With gas the way it is, I'm not really about trail rides around town. Been sweating balls riding the new Harley around. Great weight loss program.

BrierPatch

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU80, 15 WK2, 13 Silverado 1500. Had: 02 TJ
Chevy is saving "Tracker" for their Jeep/Bronco; fighter.
Funny you mention that. It was going for a ride in my brothers tracker with the top off that pushed me and my wife to get our first jeep.

Sponsored

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
It was a multitude of things that drove me away. Mostly just came down to capability for what I was doing which was mostly rock crawling. Had to get winched several times, tires up in the air, couple trail fixes, bead issues, those electronics sounding like they were ripping the vehicle apart. It wasn't just off road though. Got terrible mileage, no power, ride, interior was terrible. Mostly personal and I figure it would make a great trail ride, just not what I do most the time.

I paid for one Jamboree just to experience it but probably will not do it again. I hit Trail Hero and Winter Jam yearly, but most the time I'm in Utah or Big Bear. Around here, sure, but it is what it is. With gas the way it is, I'm not really about trail rides around town. Been sweating balls riding the new Harley around. Great weight loss program.
To be fair I wouldn’t say Jeep is the most fuel efficient, most powerful, nor cushiest ride in the world unless you opt for a diesel or 4xe, but I do love their interiors.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Ford Bronco, Chevrolet Blazer, Dodge Ram charger, Toyota FJ, Toyota 4runner, International Scout, Suzuki Samurai... I know that I'm missing some. All of these SUVs used to be common on the trails. Many of these models don't exist any more. Due to being replaced by a IFS version from the company. Or the brand being essentially dead. The only one that is still pretty common to see a new model on the trails is the 4runner and supposedly the Bronco.
https://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-analysis-2021-midsized-suv/
And Wrangler sales are still going strong. Only 3 other midsized SUVs outsold it last year. And not by a lot.

vegasblue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
To be fair I wouldn’t say Jeep is the most fuel efficient, most powerful, nor cushiest ride in the world unless you opt for a diesel or 4xe, but I do love their interiors.
It would be fair to say when I vehicle shop, I'm looking for a specific type of ride quality and that 100% does not align with the general masses. I loath modern vehicles for the most part. My unpopular opinion is they are creating a society of shitty drivers. Uninvolved, unresponsive, unaware, plain bad driving. All they are these days is point and shoot. This is when being 46 is feeling like 86. "Get off my lawn!".

On one side, I have a WRX STI. It's roucious, it's unrefined, have to row gears, communicates every imprefection in the road, does not handle the best in it's class, is not the fastest, but it's a complete hoot to drive. For me, it still has a soul. It makes you pay attention. It's twitchy, not the easiest to shift. I tuned it a bit, puts down about 325hp and is my wife's daily.

Then my Jeep is the most Caddy thing we have. Lifted, Armored, and fully tinkered with. It's my daily and for me, it's a mini vacation every time I have to go somewhere. To boot, it will handle anything I'm willing to do with it. Best way to say it, it is capable of doing far more than I'm willing to do.

Then the two Harleys in the garage. They are so mechanical it's just plain awesome. Again, not the best by societal standards, but to me, they exemplify man and machine. Being connected. Engaged.

Sublime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella Rubicon
It would be fair to say when I vehicle shop, I'm looking for a specific type of ride quality and that 100% does not align with the general masses. I loath modern vehicles for the most part. My unpopular opinion is they are creating a society of shitty drivers. Uninvolved, unresponsive, unaware, plain bad driving. All they are these days is point and shoot. This is when being 46 is feeling like 86. "Get off my lawn!".
Preach it brother!!!

My thoughts exactly.

Bmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2012 JK, 2011 WK2 5.7
Chevy is saving "Tracker" for their Jeep/Bronco; fighter.
But...in their infinitely empty wisdom...GM will take YEARS and work feverishly to figure out 1000+ ways to screw it up before launching it as an everything for everybody to please nobody.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Great video that breaks down the gives and takes of sfa vs ifs...

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon Granite Crystal
Here’s another.

skiptheroad

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Astronaut
IIRC, GM switched to IFS in 87 for 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks, 91 for 1 tons, Blazers and Suburbans.

In 95 they switched to Chevy Tahoe/GMC Youkon. You could get a 2door in the early days of these.

My mom's 1987 GMC Sierra 1500 had a sfa.

Exact Center

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
johnd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Rubicon 392 XR
Occupation
Inventor
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like you’re admitting IFS is a viable off-road competition, so thanks for agreeing that solid axles aren’t necessary,
Toyota 4 Runner sales are half of those as Jeep even though they’re far more practical and comfortable. We don’t have rocks to climb here so here they’re just another SUV.
You might live in some desert rock crawling playground but I live at the beach. Jeeps are the most common vehicle out here. Did you really think 230k Jeeps a year are putting in 4 low on a daily basis?
EC can save the straight axle if Jeep users understand the product.
My 2021 JLUR 392 XR on 35sand lift is as good as most sports cars or for sure any high-end SUV at any price. I have only as sold by Jeep and installed except when I got mine it had a fuzzy center and just no feel for where it was pointed. I am the inventor of Exact center and as such my 392 has seen 5 different Exact Center units. Started with 75, then 87, then 110, then? now 135. All were good and fixed the issues, but the 135 canceled the wind (better) while giving me the control I wanted.

My RV that started at EC 175 is 4 or 5 past that now has a 440 lb prototype. We do a lot of testing. My 32'-2" 21000 lb Dynamax Isatta 28SS Explorer does drive like a very big SUV and with 440 psi on my recent 4500-mile Rocky Mountain and more trip I never found a wind that required a steering correction. Unlike all other stabilizers EC has a power hold at the center and a power return to the center, it is like having a 135 lb High school wrestler holding the steering wheel on each side on the 392 and like having a 440 lb sumo wrestler holding the wheel on each side for the RV. Nothing but the driver will change the direction of the steered wheels. The driver can steer with one finger. The assist is invisible to the driver. This is the biggest low-cost improvement you can make.

If you want more info email [email protected] or call 8-4 EST 1-989-448-2501 Tony

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
No real off road vehicles have IFS. And if you’re arguing that IFS is better you’re Not out on the same trails doing what the guys with straight axles are doing period ! Take your IFS and go follow some of those straight axles see how you do. Lol. Not talking about desert racing. Off roading, trail running, rock climbing, then driving back home not broke.
Sponsored