Sponsored

Anyone think Jeep will move to IFS in 2023?

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Agreed.
I just drove my new Willys 850 miles home and it was amazing, comfortable, and the steering is great. Even at 80mph it drives straight and does not require correction; maybe my expectations were on the ground but the JL has exceeded every expectation I had for it.
Yes.

Some members have your experience. Others have the opposite experience. Perhaps there is a lack of consistency somewhere in the manufacturing process.

No one seems to know why some new Jeeps steer properly and others don't.

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKURHR
My wife drives a Mazda CX-5, which is widely regarded as the "drivers' choice" among CUVs. It's nice. Handles well. Comfortable ride. Gorgeous interior. But I don't find it any more relaxing or interesting to drive than a Wrangler. Jeeps are plenty capable/comfortable on the road.

I think a lot of people just don't have their suspension dialed in.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
I'm gonna be totally honest.... I don't really care about my SFA. It's not like IFS is awful off-road (and has a nicer ride over washboards). I'm not rock crawling; I'll likely never disconnect my sway bar. My wife will likely never take her Jeep anywhere a Civic can't go.

The ease of lifting is nice, but I don't need more than enough for 33's or maybe 35's (I have stock Rubicon springs on my Sport). So, if they didn't gimp non-Rubicons from the factory, the ease of lifting would be a non issue for me.

Reasons we have Jeeps: it's a compact (2DR), solid (body on frame with aftermarket steel bumpers), all terrain (4x4, good ground clearance, big tires), convertible (fun) that looks awesome (not a suppository like 90% of modern vehicles). IFS would only serve to benefit our use case.... But I'm not clamoring for it, the SFA is fine too.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
People buy the Rubicon and they never use or need lockers. But having that button there to turn the lockers on make them feel good. It doesnt matter if theyre going offroad or not. Thats meaningless.

Youre missing a point on why Wranglers sell. And that's the thousands of videos of Jeeps tackling hard terrain. Offroaders are the best marketing Jeep has. Why do you think they have the BOH program? If Jeep loses their offroad community then theyll lose sales.

Sponsored

Jhawth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I had my rubi off road the second day I owned it, and have been to my local ohv park a few times before I got my license plates. Have needed to use the rear locker a bunch and for a couple of the climbs used both front and rear lockers. If jeep went to IFS for the wrangler then I would not be buying a new one again, and I would make my current jeep last as long as I enjoy wheeling. If they do make wranglers with IFS hopefully they keep SFA as a option.

Reactions: J0E

Devil6Dog

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Snazzleberry, 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee,
It would be a very bad business decision on Jeeps part. Even though some people use it as a mall crawler, most still like knowing it has the best capability to go off road. It’s the same debate with buying guns….99.9% of the time you don’t need it until you need it, then you wish you had it.
^^^^This 100%

Devil6Dog

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Snazzleberry, 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee,
Probably depends on where you live.

I'm retired and for the past few years have spent weeks every year in the outback of Utah, northern Arizona, and Nevada. By far the most common vehicle I see in the outback is the Toyota Tacoma. Second would be the Toyota 4Runner. Wrangler would be third.

I do see many, many Wranglers....on the street - top off, huge tires but clean and shiny. All too often mine is the only one that looks like it's seen dirt.
If I'm camping and doing mild off roading that's what I see too, but in the rugged trails it's 99:1 Jeep all the time in the rocks. I am going up to Flagstaff and MOAB this week, actually leaving in a few hours if this Monsoon lifts.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Probably depends on where you live.

I'm retired and for the past few years have spent weeks every year in the outback of Utah, northern Arizona, and Nevada. By far the most common vehicle I see in the outback is the Toyota Tacoma. Second would be the Toyota 4Runner. Wrangler would be third.

I do see many, many Wranglers....on the street - top off, huge tires but clean and shiny. All too often mine is the only one that looks like it's seen dirt.
If they do , and don’t at least offer the solid axle in some way, then I will have bought my last brand new Jeep. Looks like V8 swap is in order when time comes....:)

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Marchionne’s plan for JL was to make IFS standard on Sports, Willys and Saharas, and retain solid axle on Rubicons only.

That might turn out to be a more plausible scenario. Just be prepared to pay a LOT more for a Rubicon the day that happens.

Still, I don’t see it happening until JM comes out.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
When it no longer has the bones that make it an enthusiasts vehicle then sales will suffer. Enthusiasts drive the aftermarket, which in turn drive sales.

Look at what happened to muscle cars in the mid 70s. The enthusiasts left the market when the manufacturers went after the “personal luxury” market. There were a few cars that were dressed up as such, but they were jokes and the enthusiasts knew it.
By the early 1970s, ever-increasing insurance costs and ever-advancing emission regulations were what neutered what we knew as muscle cars.

The personal luxury [coupe] market had been a recognizable niche since at least the 60s; it simply expanded in the 70s to fill the gap left by the contraction in the muscle car market.

Rsarffs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 wrangler unlimited rubicon, 15 rzr xp1000
If jeep would produce IFS that is stronger and articulate as much as their SFA it would be a win for on/off road control and comfort... Check out: New Ford bronco vs rubicon trail on Youtube. this bronco is lifted w/37" tires....a popular set-up on jeeps.https://youtu.be/L7aaRpT4HVY

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
One doesn't even have to get to 37s to see Bronco's limitations.

On TFL's video of a Bronco Sasquatch and a Rubicon 4Xe on Red Cone trail, it is pretty obvious Bronco's articulation is limited even with 35s and fully "dislocated."

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone think Jeep will move to IFS in 2023? 1628623093888

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
The Civic is still Honda's #2 top seller and #9 overall for all vehicles in the USA...
No argument from me. What's your point?
Sponsored