Sponsored

Anyone think Jeep will move to IFS in 2023?

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
With increasing pressure to compete with the Bronco, Toyota and others, is it inevitable that Jeep moves to IFS?
Will they need it to have the same steering feel as other vehicles?

I just don't know if the solid axle can last and keep up with most buyers (non wheelers).

Just seems it might be time UNFORTUNATELY. I heard they were very close to this with the reversion if the JL.

I have a JL on order just to make sure I have a solid axle Incase the 2023 model year sees IFS.

Thoughts.
Jeep is not trying to keep up with Bronco, Toyota and others. They have had record sales of the JL platform and if you do any type of wheeling, you will see that for every type of Toyota, Bronco or other off road type road vehicle you see on the trail, you will see it is about 100 Jeeps to every one of the other brands.
Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Women comprise slightly more than half the population. Any company that neglects to advertise to them is pretty foolish to exclude so large a segment of potential buyers. Can't buy into stereotypes about women, because there are many out there who are gearheads. And many more that would be if they felt welcome in those kind of communities.
there is a huge Jeep Wrangler Girl community. Thinking that girls/women Jeepers want something else have not noticed how many women are driving wranglers and the ones that are not want to. In my local area there are huge Jeep girls communities. The ones that don't have wranglers are saving to get one or wishing that they did have one.

Heck our local Jeep girl club is more active than the regular Jeep club.

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKURHR
there is a huge Jeep Wrangler Girl community. Thinking that girls/women Jeepers want something else have not noticed how many women are driving wranglers and the ones that are not want to.
My favorite Jeep bumper sticker was on a JK driven by a lady.

"Flirty, Dirty & Nerdy."

Lordy... 🤪

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Honda Civic is a good example of a vehicle that got watered down for cost cutting reasons, and has become so bland that is now largely irrelevant.

For 2001, accountants decided to get rid of Civic’s dual wishbone suspension for a traditional McPherson strut that was cheaper to make and to assemble. Honda executives saw that Toyota sold as many Corollas with downy underpinnings, and believed no one would notice or care.

They were wrong: it became frontline news; there was huge blowback. But it was too late to do anything about it.

The first ones to shun the new Civics were those who modified and raced them, followed by regular enthusiasts. Everyday people continued buying them, but sales started a long, slow decline.

Honda has tried to revitalize sales with a new hatchback and the introduction of Type-R, but the luster is gone.

Honda still refuses to give up. An all-new Civic just launched a couple months ago, but barely anyone noticed. The reality is Civic went from being Honda’s main product that made a big splash on the market and brought in huge profits, to barely a footnote.

In recent years, Mazda3 has been carving itself a nice niche among those who want a small car with good looks, sporty handling and a responsive, efficient motor.

Last edited:

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Having a Jeep seems to sell them to others around you. Many people want want one, but for some reason or another, usually practicality, pass. My sister just bought a JLU Sport S and now my 83 year old dad is curious about a JLU or a Gladiator.

Wrangler is the halo model that defines Jeep and brings people to the dealership. Many go to the dealer to look at a Wrangler. Some just can’t justify it to themselves and wind up buying a Grand Cherokee or one of the other models offered. Almost all of them want to be part of the Jeep community when they do so.

Without a Wrangler/CJ type of vehicle, one built to that formula and design, there is no Jeep.

Sponsored

Mr. Obvious

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2018 Accord Hybrid
Honda Civic is a good example of a vehicle that got watered down for cost cutting reasons, and has become so bland that is now largely irrelevant.

For 2001, accountants decided to get rid of Civic’s dual wishbone suspension for a traditional McPherson strut that was cheaper to make and to assemble. Honda executives saw that Toyota sold as many Corollas with downy underpinnings, and believed no one would notice or care.

They were wrong: it became frontline news; there was huge blowback. But it was too late to do anything about it.

The first ones to shun the new Civics were those who modified and raced them, followed by regular enthusiasts. Everyday people continued buying them, but sales started a long, slow decline.

Honda has tried to revitalize sales with a new hatchback and the introduction of Type-R, but the luster is gone.

Honda still refuses to give up. An all-new Civic just launched a couple months ago, but barely anyone noticed. The reality is Civic went from being Honda’s main product that made a big splash on the market and brought in huge profits, to barely a footnote.

In recent years, Mazda3 has been carving itself a nice niche among those who want a small car with good looks, sporty handling and a responsive, efficient motor.
The Civic is still Honda's #2 top seller and #9 overall for all vehicles in the USA...

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
If anything I feel Jeep is more likely now to stick with the stick axles to keep a main differentiation point between it and the Bronco. Jeep is the leader, no need to follow...it is the Bronco that has to prove its worth...

angrynewyorker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi 22 JLUR XR
With increasing pressure to compete with the Bronco, Toyota and others, is it inevitable that Jeep moves to IFS?
Will they need it to have the same steering feel as other vehicles?

I just don't know if the solid axle can last and keep up with most buyers (non wheelers).

Just seems it might be time UNFORTUNATELY. I heard they were very close to this with the reversion if the JL.

I have a JL on order just to make sure I have a solid axle Incase the 2023 model year sees IFS.

Thoughts.
No

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
I think the "main" wrangler model of next generation will be IFS, yes, but I also think they will continue to offer a solid-axle trim, even if it would be something you'd have to factory order. I don't think solid axles will ever truly leave as long as the Wrangler nameplate is around.

Lots of reviews of the Bronco I'm seeing really laud the IFS: the comfort it brings on-road and how they've managed to make it pretty darn good offroad. One large reviewer even wondered what the wrangler now has over the bronco for mainstream buyers if Bronco has all the comfort and still lots of capability. Enthusiasts on an enthusiast forum can deny it all we want, but people want the look of an offroader but they also want the creature comforts of nicer vehicles.

I also think the possibility/inevitability of EV for next gen makes independent suspensions far more likely (others have commented on this in way better detail than I can lol)
I think everyone reviewing it has ulterior motives or is just a massive vagina. I have many vehicles. Some have IFS. The Wrangler is a very comfortable on road vehicle.

Sponsored

syismaster1

First Name
Sy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
I think everyone reviewing it has ulterior motives or is just a massive vagina. I have many vehicles. Some have IFS. The Wrangler is a very comfortable on road vehicle.
Agreed.
I just drove my new Willys 850 miles home and it was amazing, comfortable, and the steering is great. Even at 80mph it drives straight and does not require correction; maybe my expectations were on the ground but the JL has exceeded every expectation I had for it.

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I imagine there aren't many like me, but I would love to have two Wranglers. An IFS one for 95% of my off and on road driving and my current one for the 5%.

deserteagle56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon
Jeep is not trying to keep up with Bronco, Toyota and others. They have had record sales of the JL platform and if you do any type of wheeling, you will see that for every type of Toyota, Bronco or other off road type road vehicle you see on the trail, you will see it is about 100 Jeeps to every one of the other brands.
Probably depends on where you live.

I'm retired and for the past few years have spent weeks every year in the outback of Utah, northern Arizona, and Nevada. By far the most common vehicle I see in the outback is the Toyota Tacoma. Second would be the Toyota 4Runner. Wrangler would be third.

I do see many, many Wranglers....on the street - top off, huge tires but clean and shiny. All too often mine is the only one that looks like it's seen dirt.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Probably depends on where you live.

I'm retired and for the past few years have spent weeks every year in the outback of Utah, northern Arizona, and Nevada. By far the most common vehicle I see in the outback is the Toyota Tacoma. Second would be the Toyota 4Runner. Wrangler would be third.

I do see many, many Wranglers....on the street - top off, huge tires but clean and shiny. All too often mine is the only one that looks like it's seen dirt.
I said on the trail. Not dirt roads.
Sponsored