Sponsored

Anyone think Jeep will move to IFS in 2023?

mdkautzman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
With increasing pressure to compete with the Bronco, Toyota and others, is it inevitable that Jeep moves to IFS?
Will they need it to have the same steering feel as other vehicles?

I just don't know if the solid axle can last and keep up with most buyers (non wheelers).

Just seems it might be time UNFORTUNATELY. I heard they were very close to this with the reversion if the JL.

I have a JL on order just to make sure I have a solid axle Incase the 2023 model year sees IFS.

Thoughts.
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
How is IFS anything to complete against (unless you are a permanent mall crawler). There have already been postings about broken Bronco axles and the CV is bound to be damaged and thus a weak point.

I like the Bronco, but do not see it as a Jeep killer by any stretch of the imagination.

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
With how many soccer moms that are out there driving wranglers, I’m sure the general public would care less about the solid axle and how the steering feels. I’m sure the general public doesn’t even realize or pay attention to how it feels lol the people who complain about the steering on this forum about steering issues are the minority.

My rubicon drives straight with both hands off the wheel going 70mph on the highway... love it

I do get what you’re saying and have thought about it, but I don’t think it will make a big difference to most people

Sponsored

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport (sold), 2021 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
People have been hand wringing about this for over a decade on various forums, lol. Every time Jeep changes corporate hands or some other big news thing happens, folks get alarmed as the spectre of IFS rears its head again. So far, nothing has come of it.

Nothing in the future is guaranteed in life, but... as long as the Wrangler remains one of their biggest sellers, I don't see solid front axles going away any time soon.

OP
OP
mdkautzman

mdkautzman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
People have been hand wringing about this for over a decade on various forums, lol. Every time Jeep changes corporate hands or some other big news thing happens, folks get alarmed as the spectre of IFS rears its head again. So far, nothing has come of it.

Nothing in the future is guaranteed in life, but... as long as the Wrangler remains one of their biggest sellers, I don't see solid front axles going away any time soon.
Let's hope your right. This is a big part of why Jeep is a Jeep!!!! Not just another SUV.

Sponsored

OP
OP
mdkautzman

mdkautzman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
You mean Jeep will get rid of the one main factor why people buy Jeeps??? Not happening.
Main factor? For you and I yes. But how many people really buy it for that. 90% (guessing)of the wranglers never see off-road duty.
Just started post to see what other have heard and think will come. Not that we like or want it.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
I’m not sure I’d agree with the statement that they are facing increased pressure to compete. Personally, I believe Toyota is the leader in its segment and Jeep is the leader in theirs with very little cross application.

It looks like wrangler numbers are pretty strong. This site doesn’t show total sales only monthly but depending on the month they’re right up at the top of the list.
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone think Jeep will move to IFS in 2023? 5FE81178-3553-4872-AB4F-474D1837EAAE

https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2020-us-vehicle-sales-figures-by-model/

I think Broncos are trying to get in on the off-road action but feel like they’re not fully committed. Watching a video today the guy talked about how a Bronco completed the Baja 1000 with the only problems being two flat tires. An impressive feat for sure, but desert running is a completely different vehicle application than what a Jeep is designed to do.

I think Ford is acknowledging that “off-road” vehicles are used more on-road than off (like the majority of Jeeps). Less fanatical buyers that want a rugged look but more refined ride around town may be willing to accept the compromise a production, street legal, IFS vehicle brings.*

*Don’t come at me with king of hammers is IFS nonsense. You aren’t going to commute in one of those.

Side note: I think it is interesting that Ford seems to be targeting women in their advertising lately. Not just for Broncos but heavy duty trucks too. Not trying to be sexist, there is probably some interesting psychology behind it.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
What about a more trail oriented GC trail hawk with xtreme recon package? I could see something like that. Then again they have a bunch of trail hawk IFS vehicles in their lineup already.
Sponsored

Last edited: