Sponsored

Anyone think Jeep will move to IFS in 2023?

smokeythecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport 2-door, 2019 Mini Cooper S
90% (guessing)of the wranglers never see off-road duty.
I am a first time Jeep owner just recently (in fact, my first 4WD ever) and it puzzles me why people buy them to drive to the grocery story. I may be a newbie, but mostly when I go out I am headed to a trail or fire road.

The upside to so many mall-crawlers is that it is profitable for Jeep. And if the mall-crawler crowd doesn't completely destroy the focus of the Wrangler line then that works to off roaders' benefit as well.
Sponsored

LCW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(formerly '22 JLUR) '23 Bronco Badlands 2dr 2.7
I could see maybe a true Mojave model, to go heads-up against the Raptor, as a high speed desert runner, getting IFS. But otherwise, as a basic off-roading machine that can rock crawl, probably tough to go against the history and legacy of solid front axle that Jeep has.

Reactions: J0E

angrynewyorker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi 22 JLUR XR
I’d like to think Jeep understands the uniqueness of the product they have and doesn’t fall into the trap of trying to go direct toe to toe with Ford and start copying them. Ford copied Jeep for a reason, because it is the gold standard of off-road vehicles. The only reason they went with IFS is because they had to for financial reasons. By making it on the same platform as the Ranger it saved them a fortune in not having to invest in a totally new platform but also not having to retool a plant or build a new plant to build it. Jeep was built by a loyal community that appreciates the uniqueness and the capabilities of the platform and to lose sight of that would be a shame, and it would cost them a fortune in development and probably loss of sales. One reason why I wouldn’t buy a Bronco instead of a Wrangler is because the Wrangler has a SFA. If they make it the same as the Bronco then I’d be more apt to look at Ford as a serious option.

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
This group and post are reminiscent of how the comic book community “demands” script writers and directors heed to their wants on movie scripts when they only comprise of less than 5% of the movie going public…lol

angrynewyorker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi 22 JLUR XR
This group and post are reminiscent of how the comic book community “demands” script writers and directors heed to their wants on movie scripts when they only comprise of less than 5% of the movie going public…lol
I don’t see anyone demanding anything, mostly just people hoping. At the end of the day profit drives any smart business decision and that will dictate what they do in the future.

Sponsored

swampflyer

First Name
rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlr-2015 jette tdi-2013 mb
Occupation
retired
I have read the many comments on solid axle vs independent front suspension, all pretty valid. As much as I hate to say it the steering problems with the steering box and, caster, wondering etc. to much to mention and still cain't solve the problem, only adds more fire to the argument. IFS will eventually win out in the end. Bottom line follow the money. marketing and sales. As long as the car manufacture are satisfied with their profit margin there won't be many changes but you know who wins in the end. GREED. My moneys on IFS.

Reactions: J0E

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
I could see maybe a true Mojave model, to go heads-up against the Raptor, as a high speed desert runner, getting IFS. But otherwise, as a basic off-roading machine that can rock crawl, probably tough to go against the history and legacy of solid front axle that Jeep has.
Hmm- perhaps when the much lighter T6 replaces the V8 and has comparable power a Wrangler Mojave??🤔

angrynewyorker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi 22 JLUR XR
No, solid front axle is a market differentiator.
Unless we back to a 2wd unlimited...that was an IFS vehicle.
I agree. I think holding onto the SFA definitely sets them above their competition and without a doubt makes their product the superior product for its advertised purpose. They have the Grand Cherokee and Cherokee for those who want better road manners. The Bronco competes more with the 4Runner than it does with the Wrangler. The only thing the Bronco does that the Jeep does is have removable doors and roof, other than that it’s not even in the same league. Hopefully Jeep never forgets that and always markets the Jeep as the most capable off-road vehicle on the market and never leaves its heritage.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, solid front axle is a market differentiator.
Unless we back to a 2wd unlimited...that was an IFS vehicle.
Yep- I fear if LCW gets his wish for an IFS Mojave it would quickly be added to Sahara and creep into other models until Rubi and maybe Willys are the last SFA standing, at least for a while.

Sponsored

angrynewyorker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi 22 JLUR XR
Yep- I fear if LCW gets his wish for an IFS Mojave it would quickly be added to Sahara and creep into other models until Rubi and maybe Willys are the last SFA standing, at least for a while.
I don’t see the Mojave as a Raptor fighter, the TRX is. It wouldn’t be in their best interest financially to develop an IFS Mojave and then slowly morph it into parts of the rest of the lineup. If they go IFS the whole lineup would. You wouldn’t have some that are and some that aren’t. The manufacturing logistics and cost to offer both would be a huge undertaking. If they ever foolishly decide to go IFS then it will be on the sport up to the Rubicon and all trims in between. Jeep prides themselves in being the most capable off-road vehicle you can buy and they always boast about it, and rightfully so. If they go IFS then they can boast that they are as capable as a Bronco instead of more capable.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 no, 2030 possibly. Would be sad
Corporate will be closely watching the demographics of Bronco buyers. If the younger and most importantly middle age buyers are flocking to them and prefer the IFS it would come down to math. Then there’s the NTSB and other regulators who could determine the wandering, Death Wobble prone SFA is too dangerous and ban them to Keep Us Safe!! They are good at regulating and mandating to Keep Us Safe!!
Sponsored