Sponsored

Anyone swap their shocks and NOT do a lift?

chadly25

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mercedes CLS550, 2013 JKU Sport, 2018 JLUR
I’m considering installing a nice set of shocks but really not interested in lifting my rig. I like the stock shocks but think I would like an adjustable shock better to balance on/off road use. Thinking about Fox or King. Has anyone done this? If so, curious if you like your ride much better? Also, which shocks did you install?
Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I’m considering installing a nice set of shocks but really not interested in lifting my rig. I like the stock shocks but think I would like an adjustable shock better to balance on/off road use. Thinking about Fox or King. Has anyone done this? If so, curious if you like your ride much better? Also, which shocks did you install?
I'm thinking of getting Ranchos later. They were great for the TJ. My JL is actually getting both rear shocks replaced this morning because both starting leaking after our "polar vortex". But honestly, I think the stock ride is very comfortable. Of course, I'm coming from a TJ. So, I haven't seen the need/want to replace my shocks yet.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
I did, I like the stock height of Rubicon but hate the mushy feeling and body roll. I went with Falcon 2.1 monotube 0-1.5 in shocks. They are very stiff and make my JL planted on the ground and cornering is so much better now. Some people say they are too stiff but I like more handling than softness. I also like Falcon Nexus 2.2 steering stabilizer so I want to match it with my shocks.

There are many choices out there. You can go with 0-2 or 0-2.5 inch shocks so when you decide to lift later, you can just swap spring. For me, I am not going to lift higher than 1.5 in, so later down the road I will just add a spacer and probably 35 tires.

OP
OP
chadly25

chadly25

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mercedes CLS550, 2013 JKU Sport, 2018 JLUR
Thanks for the info, Glad to hear that you like it better than the factory shock.

Anyone know much about the Fox 2.5 series? They look pretty incredible but doesn't seem like there have been too many of them installed. I can't find any reviews. For nearly $3k, I'd love to know if people are happy with them before before throwing out that much coin.

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
Even a $50 shock like rancho RS5000X is an improvement over stock. Dealer said they were supposedly gas shocks.....I can tell you the stock shocks are quite a bit easier to compress by hand compared to the Rancho.

Side to side roll reduced and better ride as in firm but not to stiff. Only thing with rancho's is the finish could be better.
I spray mine with fluid film now and then to keep them from corroding and looking like crap.
Sponsored