Sponsored

Anyone Swap Black Fender Flares for Painted?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
My wife has become fixated on swapping out her black flares for painted ones on her white Rubi. I really like the black flares and think it is a more traditional Wrangler look. But we were at our son's baseball game yesterday and she kept staring at my Jeep, which has painted flares, and decided she wants my wheels (optional Rubi rims) and she wants her flares painted. She also declared that she wants the lift and 35's sooner than later. So yeah, the Jeep mod bug has bitten her all at once.

So I'm wondering if anyone has done the fender flare swap and how much it costs to do it?

Maybe I'll get lucky and find someone with white Rubi flares who wants to sell them or trade them.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I did it on my 2018 JKUR Recon.

I found a set of unpainted fenders on eBay for $400, and the local body shop charged me $600 to paint them Gobi, to match the rest of the Jeep.

I removed the black fenders and installed the painted ones myself. Aligning the panels with just a few pressure clips was a total pain in the ass. JL fenders have a lot more integrity to them, which should take more work, but at the same time make them much easier to line up and install.

This was a year before COVID hit. I’d think you’d be looking at $2,000 to have it done today, for the parts and the paint job. I’d add another $500 to have them professionally installed.

Good luck.

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone Swap Black Fender Flares for Painted? E57B3039-A399-4B11-8E63-D5A8E747F378

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone Swap Black Fender Flares for Painted? FC107041-60C2-4B41-942C-410188E8AC90

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If the standard flares can be painted, I can have the high school body shop in the school district where I work paint them at cost. I'm just not sure they'd be the same. Not sure what the differences are. I'll have to take a closer look, but it seems there is more to the painted flares than just painting the standard black ones. JK is a different animal, though. I can see that the painted JK flares are the same as standard, under the paint.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
On JK, the painted and unpainted fenders were different: unpainted fenders had a textured finish to them. I’ve been told that it is the same on JL.

Further, if you have EVER applied Armor-All or 303 to the unpainted fenders, you will not be able to pain them.

The chemicals get inside the polyurethane and are impossible to remove. Repainting them seals the surface, causing the paint to bubble from underneath.

I found out all this when I went through this process myself. That’s the reason I had to get a new set of unpainted fenders.

Alternatively, you can pick up a takeoff set of painted fenders on eBay or Craigslist, and have them sanded and repainted whatever color you want.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
On JK, the painted and unpainted fenders were different: unpainted fenders had a textured finish to them. I’ve been told that it is the same on JL.

Further, if you have EVER applied Armor-All or 303 to the unpainted fenders, you will not be able to pain them.

The chemicals get inside the polyurethane and are impossible to remove. Repainting them seals the surface, causing the pain to bubble from underneath.

I found out all this when I went through the process myself. That’s the reason I had to get a new set of unpainted fenders.

Alternatively, you can pick up a takeoff set of painted fenders on eBay or Craigslist, and have them sanded and repainted whatever color you want.
The flares on our JL are not textured but they also feel thinner than the painted version. I've got them side by side. The unpainted feel much more flexible. So I'd bet I'd have to buy some painted flares. But then again the paint may stiffen them a bit, so I'm not 100% sure.

I'd imagine with all the folks out there modding their JL's, it might not be terribly hard to find some painted ones. If I do, then the color won't matter, as I could get them re-painted.

Good to know on the 303 on the flares. I haven't done anything to them yet but wash tmem. Only washes.

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
I just did this last weekend, I found a set of painted flares and swapped them out. It’s not very hard to do but you will break many of the clips so buy replacements before you start.

Years ago I did buy a set of paintable flares for the boss’s Jeep and had them painted but I believe they are out of stock due to the parts shortage.

Gregj

Eta. Out of stock.
https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/high-top-fender-flares-wrangler-jl/paintable-hightop-led

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Sell her your flares and get some aftermarket flares for yours...

sardogtella

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR. 2021 JLURXR
My wife has become fixated on swapping out her black flares for painted ones on her white Rubi. I really like the black flares and think it is a more traditional Wrangler look. But we were at our son's baseball game yesterday and she kept staring at my Jeep, which has painted flares, and decided she wants my wheels (optional Rubi rims) and she wants her flares painted. She also declared that she wants the lift and 35's sooner than later. So yeah, the Jeep mod bug has bitten her all at once.

So I'm wondering if anyone has done the fender flare swap and how much it costs to do it?

Maybe I'll get lucky and find someone with white Rubi flares who wants to sell them or trade them.
Someone just listed a set of white fender flares in the for sale forum. They are in Kentucky.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sell her your flares and get some aftermarket flares for yours...
Lol, nope. I like my red flares. I dunno, they just have a certain flare about them! :CWL:

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
No connection to the seller but those don’t have LED’s in them. No liners either.

Gregj

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No connection to the seller but those don’t have LED’s in them. No liners either.

Gregj
Yeah, they don't look like LEDs in the pics but he describes them as LEDs. Might be Kentucky LED's. (bulbs) Lol!

zw470

First Name
McFly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLR
I really didn't like how the painted flares looked on the JK, but I think they look awesome on the JL. I want to upgrade mine eventually but it's way down on my priority list.

Wbino

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
When I ordered my Jeep last year my wife said maybe she like one also.
She's driving a Grand Cherokee. 🗽🤣

J1337P

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon JLUD
I know you mean the OEM flares but another option is to find a set of aftermarket flares you like and get them color matched. Like these way more than the chunky rubicon flares.
These are Bestop and cost of flares + paint was ~1300
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone Swap Black Fender Flares for Painted? 6927320D-797F-4D35-A459-0E53C9D4369E

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone Swap Black Fender Flares for Painted? 52B147FB-0F95-44E1-907F-4E051B48739B
Sponsored