Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
It doesn't look like something I'd readily trust with my full body weight. Plus standing on the running board I have all the reach I need for anything on the roof.
Likewise.. I'm only 5'8" & I have enough reach across the roof standing on the side step

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like the perfect product for anyone interested in starting a new thread a week later, entitled "why do I all of a sudden have to really slam it, to get my door to fully close?"

Same goes for the hinge steps. "Why can't I get my door back on?" F me, I'm gonna hit the post button before I rant off on the douschery of driving around with your damn foot hanging out.

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Yaaa my first impression as a Cartman - err I mean bigger person with big bones, I was thinking along the same thing.
Hahahaha same here Ken, I’m 248 pounds and had not only visions of breaking the door latch off but then crashing through my $2000 dollar Amp steps too. Not to mention the injury vision.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
All great points! Looks like using this product would be asking for "trouble".

If my side steps aren't enough to reach, I use the top of my rear tire.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Likewise.. I'm only 5'8" & I have enough reach across the roof standing on the side step
And since you always wear those platform shoes from the 70's you have like super reach powers.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What you described first has been widely used in the commercial truck repair industry.

Simple aluminum and foldable steps to help perch oneself up on the tire. Fancier ones that incorporate a padded surface that angles in towards the engine bay, that allows you to lean your body on.

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I've used these without issue though I don't blame others for having concern over their design, or the door latch they rest upon being unable to withstand load.

FWIW: Moki Brand latches address the latch (as opposed to their product--which they also address) not being the possible point of failure with this https://www.mokidoorstep.com/pages/faq

Can the door latch support a person without breaking?

Absolutely. Per the Society of Automotive Engineers ("SAE") Document J839B: Passenger Car Side Door Latch System - Every vehicle door latch must be able to withstand a vertical force of 2500 pounds and a horizontal force of 2000 pounds without failure. Therefore, the Moki Door Step is guaranteed to support the weight of a person many times over.

https://archive.org/stream/gov.law.sae.j839b.1965/sae.j839b.1965_djvu.txt

Does that mean I'm personally covering the damages of those whose latches failed or bent..sadly no. Tire mounted devices are great for front and back roof top access but unfortunately not middle. And door steps attached to the hinges: some like and some don't like the look.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So many to choose from. I just screen shotted the top of a Google image search. "Tire hung step stool". I also caught a quick glimpse of offerings from jegs, harbor freight, and on and on.
Sponsored