Sponsored

Anyone Seen Exact Specs on 2022 Xtreme Recon Package?

FreedomFur

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
I have a 2022 Rubicon with the Xtreme Recon package on order and am wondering if anyone has seen specs on the kit yet. What types of shocks, their travel, total lift height compared to a Sport and Rubicon, etc.

I saw someone on Facebook stripped out their 392 Xtreme Recon suspension which had Fox shocks and looked somewhat like the MOPAR 2” lift, so is that what the Xtreme Recon suspension essentially is?

I plan to do a fender chop and replace the innder fenders, want to make sure that I get no rub with 37” tires and have pretty good articulation, or bite the bullet and go to a MetalCloak 3.5” lift.
Sponsored

OP
OP
FreedomFur

FreedomFur

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
The V6 XR has regular Rubicon red shocks.
Any idea on the total lift height? I had heard it was higher than a factory Rubicon, but haven’t been able to confirm by how much.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Any idea on the total lift height? I had heard it was higher than a factory Rubicon, but haven’t been able to confirm by how much.
I honestly think it depends on the rest of the options of your vehicle (weight). I've heard 1-1.5" (max) lift over a standard Rubicon. There was another thread where an individual compared his XR sitting next to his Mopar lifted (the 2" kit from Mopar) Rubicon and the XR was just slightly shorter.

Given the XR wheels have less backspacing than the 392 beadlocks to account for 315's that are 12.5" wide roughly, going up to a 37" tire should not be too difficult, and shouldn't require an entirely new suspension lift.

As you said, you plan to trim fender liners. Worst case you add a smaller spacer, a bit of bump and shock extensions, but you may not even need to do that. IMO, do that stuff first, and if you decide you need more after wheeling, then go to a lift.

OP
OP
FreedomFur

FreedomFur

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
I honestly think it depends on the rest of the options of your vehicle (weight). I've heard 1-1.5" (max) lift over a standard Rubicon. There was another thread where an individual compared his XR sitting next to his Mopar lifted (the 2" kit from Mopar) Rubicon and the XR was just slightly shorter.

Given the XR wheels have less backspacing than the 392 beadlocks to account for 315's that are 12.5" wide roughly, going up to a 37" tire should not be too difficult, and shouldn't require an entirely new suspension lift.

As you said, you plan to trim fender liners. Worst case you add a smaller spacer, a bit of bump and shock extensions, but you may not even need to do that.
If that is the case, which would be awesome, I would what type of flex can be expected? Debating tossing in some better Fox Resevoir shocks for a smoother off-road ride (not impressed with the factory Rubi shocks that came on my Willys) and control arms for better flex.

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If that is the case, which would be awesome, I would what type of flex can be expected? Debating tossing in some better Fox Resevoir shocks for a smoother off-road ride (not impressed with the factory Rubi shocks that came on my Willys) and control arms for better flex.
You won't flex very well on OEM joints. I'd recommend the Metalcloaks if you really run into issues where flex is stopping you from getting through things, or causing you to have premature failure of your OEM joints.

If you're after for a smoother ride off road, you're probably just looking for shocks that are valved differently. The reservoirs are nice but really just prevent fade as it's additional cooling capacity (which doesn't sound like your complaint). Valving is what you're after. I'd recommend a set of accutune fox's -- though again, see how your stock ones do first. 392 XR has different shocks, I believe Bilstein -- and if you can find take offs, that might work as well.

OP
OP
FreedomFur

FreedomFur

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
You won't flex very well on OEM joints. I'd recommend the Metalcloaks if you really run into issues where flex is stopping you from getting through things, or causing you to have premature failure of your OEM joints.

If you're after for a smoother ride off road, you're probably just looking for shocks that are valved differently. The reservoirs are nice but really just prevent fade as it's additional cooling capacity (which doesn't sound like your complaint). Valving is what you're after. I'd recommend a set of accutune fox's.
Appreciate the input. Mind sending me a link on the Metalcloak parts you are recommending? I am back and forth on whether or not to just buy their 3.5” gamechanger lift kit.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Appreciate the input. Mind sending me a link on the Metalcloak parts you are recommending? I am back and forth on whether or not to just buy their 3.5” gamechanger lift kit.
If you really need the flex I’d just pony up the dough and get their entire kit. XR package was never about the lift anyway :)

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

zdr

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon V6 6-Speed Manual
Does adding the tow package to the XR package change what springs or battery is used? I believe on the non-XR it does but was curious about changes to the XR package. Also, with E-tourque V6, there is no alternator, correct? So is there any advantage on the E-tourque with the tow package since it offers a better alternator?

Sponsored

OP
OP
FreedomFur

FreedomFur

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Does adding the tow package to the XR package change what springs or battery is used? I believe on the non-XR it does but was curious about changes to the XR package. Also, with E-tourque V6, there is no alternator, correct? So is there any advantage on the E-tourque with the tow package since it offers a better alternator?
Great question, I don’t know about the springs. I have the tow/aux panel package on my 2021 Willys Sport with the 3.6 eTorque and it came with the beefier electrical system and battery associated with the etorque engines.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
The tow package is worth it for the aux switches alone. The HD alternator is also a bonus.

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
The tow package is worth it for the aux switches alone. The HD alternator is also a bonus.
Well, if you're getting the XR, then you have eTorque. Doesn't that mean there isn't an alternator? That was my understanding, but I could be wrong.

For no eTorque, I do think the HD alternator is a big bonus though. And I think the main battery gets an upgrade with the tow package across the board. To me, the tow package generally seems like a very good buy because it's so much more than just the hitch.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Well, if you're getting the XR, then you have eTorque. Doesn't that mean there isn't an alternator? That was my understanding, but I could be wrong.

For no eTorque, I do think the HD alternator is a big bonus though. And I think the main battery gets an upgrade with the tow package across the board. To me, the tow package generally seems like a very good buy because it's so much more than just the hitch.
Ya, I was speaking about my 2.0 with ESS.

Tow package is definitely one of the better values for sure.

zdr

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon V6 6-Speed Manual
Great question, I don’t know about the springs. I have the tow/aux panel package on my 2021 Willys Sport with the 3.6 eTorque and it came with the beefier electrical system and battery associated with the etorque engines.
Ok thanks. I was wondering what else besides the battery/alternator was enhanced (no alt in this scenario).
Sponsored