Sponsored

Anyone seeing less active regens with Bank's Derringer?

Deleted member 59498

Here is what my 2022 manual states:

DIESEL DISPLAYS
When the appropriate conditions exist, the
following messages display in the instrument
cluster display:
 Exhaust Filter Nearing Full Safely Drive at
Consistent Speeds to Clear
 Exhaust Filter Full – Power Reduced See Dealer
 Exhaust System Service Required – See Dealer
 Exhaust System – Filter XX% Full Service
Required See Dealer
 Exhaust System Regeneration in Process
Continue Driving
 Exhaust System – Regeneration Completed
Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

I have never seen any of them but not many miles so maybe good thing.

 Exhaust Filter Nearing Full Safely Drive at
Consistent Speeds to Clear — This message will
be displayed if the exhaust particulate filter
reaches 80% of its maximum storage capacity.
Under conditions of exclusive short duration
and low speed driving cycles, your diesel engine
and exhaust after-treatment system may never
reach the conditions required to cleanse the
filter to remove the trapped PM. If this occurs,
the “Exhaust Filter XX% Full Safely Drive at
Highway Speeds to Remedy” message will be
displayed. If this message is displayed, you will
hear one chime to assist in alerting you of this
condition. By simply driving your vehicle at
highway speeds for up to 20 minutes, you can
remedy the condition in the particulate filter
system and allow your diesel engine and
exhaust after-treatment system to cleanse the
filter to remove the trapped PM and restore the
system to normal operating condition.
 Exhaust System Regeneration in Process
Continue Driving — This message indicates that
the DPF is self-cleaning. Maintain your current
driving condition until regeneration is
completed.

 Exhaust System — Regeneration Completed —
This message indicates that the DPF
self-cleaning is completed. If this message is
displayed, you will hear one chime to assist in
alerting you of this condition.

 Exhaust System Service Required —
See Dealer — This messages indicates regeneration
has been disabled due to a system
malfunction. At this point the engine Powertrain
Control Module (PCM) will register a fault code,
the instrument panel will display a Malfunction
Indicator Light (MIL).

 Exhaust Filter Full — Power Reduced See
Dealer — This message indicates the PCM has
derated the engine to limit the likelihood of
permanent damage to the after-treatment
system. If this condition is not corrected and a
dealer service is not performed, extensive
exhaust after-treatment damage can occur. To
correct this condition it will be necessary to have
your vehicle serviced by an authorized dealer.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
My philosophy is to just drive like normal. I do pay attention to my iDash and notice when I'm in a regen. I will avoid shutting down in the middle too many times in a row. And maybe just go for a drive once in a while when I'm almost at 80% to make sure I get a full regen. But I won't obsess about never shutting down.
my Manual disagrees.
Okay. Fair enough. Perhaps the 2021s didn't have that feature. I have had over 40 regens without any notification. I would only get a warning when the filter is irrevocably full and needs emergency dealer attention.

What exactly does your notification say and where/when does it show up?

I thought I was well versed in regens since I've had so many, but this new standard feature has me scratching my head. [and...please don't say "Well I've never actually seen it"]

Deleted member 59498

Does it regen anytime it gets to operating temps? I mean if DEF is going down it is regening at some point?

GSLSE21B

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jLURD
I’ve never had any regen message on my 2021 , but I have had it run the fan at max speed for 10 minutes after shutoff . When I restarted it a hour later the banks displayed 8% ..

Sponsored

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
hi Rick!

mine is also a 2021.

if you RTFM there’s a section specifically about messages that may be displayed that are unique to the Diesel, and why. (page 136)

odds are most of us who drive them like they’re meant to be driven will never see those messages.

i’d guess that those of us who have added Derringers are even less likely to see those messages because they’re having so much more fun with the accelerator that the things are staying even better blown out. 😁

Okay. Fair enough. Perhaps the 2021s didn't have that feature. I have had over 40 regens without any notification. I would only get a warning when the filter is irrevocably full and needs emergency dealer attention.

What exactly does your notification say and where/when does it show up?

I thought I was well versed in regens since I've had so many, but this new standard feature has me scratching my head. [and...please don't say "Well I've never actually seen it"]

Outback101

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F350 Diesel, 2015 JKU Gasser, 2022 JKU Diesel
DEF is not part of your "Regen". It is used constantly as you drive to effect a reaction with your SCR Catalyst to reduce NOX emissions. A "Regen" is when your particulate (soot) filter is cleaning itself out by getting hot enough (by one means or another it burns extra fuel to do this) to ash the soot and blow it out the exhaust pipe. If your driving habits are such that you get a good mix of highway speed in your regens will mostly be passive. If you short trip in town a lot you will see more "forced" regens.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
DEF is not part of your "Regen". It is used constantly as you drive to effect a reaction with your SCR Catalyst to reduce NOX emissions. A "Regen" is when your particulate (soot) filter is cleaning itself out by getting hot enough (by one means or another it burns extra fuel to do this) to ash the soot and blow it out the exhaust pipe. If your driving habits are such that you get a good mix of highway speed in your regens will mostly be passive. If you short trip in town a lot you will see more "forced" regens.
Well said. Especially from a new-to-the-forum member. :)

Belated welcome.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
UPDATE:

Close to a month since I installed my Derringer and I have (very) noticably less active regens. My driving patterns are same as usual and, after nearly 10K miles, I have a good sense of the frequency of my normal regen cycle. I also started using Hot Shot's Secret earlier this year. [Both Banks and Hot Shot's claim reduced active regens.] My "miles between regens" on the iDash is up more than 50% since installation. The soot % used to progress up to 80% somewhat quickly (due to short hops), now it merely inches up.

Has anyone else seen this?

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
The Derringer tweaks fuel rail pressures (meaning increases them) to produce more power. The higher rail pressures creates better atomization of the fuel and thus better burn. That helps reduce soot formation and more miles between regens. Diesel tuners have been doing this for YEARS, but at the expense of more wear/tear on the injectors and high pressure fuel pump. This is why I haven’t put a Derringer on my diesel, the CP4 is a ticking time-bomb at its normal pressures.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The Derringer tweaks fuel rail pressures (meaning increases them) to produce more power. The higher rail pressures creates better atomization of the fuel and thus better burn. That helps reduce soot formation and more miles between regens. Diesel tuners have been doing this for YEARS, but at the expense of more wear/tear on the injectors and high pressure fuel pump. This is why I haven’t put a Derringer on my diesel, the CP4 is a ticking time-bomb at its normal pressures.
I hear your concern. What makes me comfortable is that the Derringer only adds 10% more boost (26.3psi upped to 29.0psi). I'm willing to bet that Jeep left more safety margin than that. That said, if my bet turns sour, I may be back complaining down the road, but until then, the extra power is fun. :)

Tread4Lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22'JLURD
I also started using Hot Shot's Secret earlier this year. [Both Banks and Hot Shot's claim reduced active regens.]
@rickinAZ How much of this are you putting into the tank at fill up? I've been going with an even 1oz when filling the tank, therefore 16 fillups per bottle. This gives in between their recommended regular and performance dosage. Some dude on YouTube is doing 4oz for 30 gallons (which is way above their recommended Performance dosage).

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
@rickinAZ How much of this are you putting into the tank at fill up? I've been going with an even 1oz when filling the tank, therefore 16 fillups per bottle. This gives in between their recommended regular and performance dosage. Some dude on YouTube is doing 4oz for 30 gallons (which is way above their recommended Performance dosage).
I use the same as you - one ounce per tank. I also use the "extreme" version semi-annually.
Sponsored