Sponsored

Anyone running larger tires on a 6-speed Sport?

01tj

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 2001 Wrangler, Kia Optima, possibly 2018 Wrangler unlimited
Just brought home my JLU Sport S with the 6-speed. I noticed that on the highway 6th gear becomes unusable on the hills around here. I've been planning on selling my wheels and tires and have been planning on getting new wheels and tires and going with the standard rubicon size. Has anyone done this and if so does it make a big difference in drivablility?
Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Yeah I've done it. I did it the first week so I didn't really get a chance to get a feel for it stock. Like you said, sixth is pretty useless but it may have been stock. Otherwise it is fine. Definitely a little louder but drivability is about the same I think. I have since put a take-off Rubicon suspension on and I like it better, but it was fine without it. No rubbing.

I have decided not to do a lift or bigger tires because I do think the Sport gearing would not work well with anything larger. But the Rubicon tires are fine.

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Even with the 4:10’s in the Rubicon 6th is pretty much giving the same MPG as fifth on mine highway cruising. I know the Rubicon tires aren’t huge (285’s) but at 65-70 you can climb some hills here and there as long as they aren’t too inclined. With 35’s I doubt it.

Would imagine a lot of people out there would get the same MPG in 5th vs 6th with larger tires. Obviously bigger tires are going to reduce your MPG.

OP
OP

01tj

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 2001 Wrangler, Kia Optima, possibly 2018 Wrangler unlimited
Yeah I've done it. I did it the first week so I didn't really get a chance to get a feel for it stock. Like you said, sixth is pretty useless but it may have been stock. Otherwise it is fine. Definitely a little louder but drivability is about the same I think. I have since put a take-off Rubicon suspension on and I like it better, but it was fine without it. No rubbing.

I have decided not to do a lift or bigger tires because I do think the Sport gearing would not work well with anything larger. But the Rubicon tires are fine.

I will probably go with it Just didn't want things to feel like it did in my old 4cyl TJ
Even with the 4:10’s in the Rubicon 6th is pretty much giving the same MPG as fifth on mine highway cruising. I know the Rubicon tires aren’t huge (285’s) but at 65-70 you can climb some hills here and there as long as they aren’t too inclined. With 35’s I doubt it.

Would imagine a lot of people out there would get the same MPG in 5th vs 6th with larger tires. Obviously bigger tires are going to reduce your MPG.

I think 35's would be overkill for what I'll be using this Jeep for.
Sponsored