DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I'm looking to move to a slightly more aggressive tire sometime down the road and the X3's have my attention. I've heard good things about them in snow (they have some siping) and they come in a 35x12.5x17 in a C load rating, so that's a win. I also happen to like the red letters.

Does anyone have experience with the X3's they'd like to share? I run a wide variety of off-road trails, including rocks, sand, mud, hard pack, and combinations of all. So I like a tire to be a good compromise, being solid at ust about everything they've incountered. I've found the KO2 to be good across the board, but was thinking of something just a little more aggressive, but the C-rating is essential. I've had E rated tires for 75k on my JKUR and won't go back to the stiffer ride they provide.

I've got time. My KO2s are still in good shape, but I'll move them on with enough tread left that I can still sell them.
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I've researched them quite a bit, they seem to be a good all around tire and if C-rated is a must your choices are pretty limited. TBH I don't mind E-rated enough to scratch them off my list if the tire is such a great performer, the Cooper STT Pros fall into that category.

Dan, if you have time to wait I'd take a good look at the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT coming out in April. I think that would check a couple more boxes vs. the X3, the MTs will have a 3peak snow rating, more aggressive sidewalls and the newest tire technology (as far as rubber compounds and quieting features). Luckily I have time to wait as I think these will have nice tread depth, good weight and should be available in at least a D rated, and hopefully a C, but like I mentioned, not a deal breaker for me if E is the only choice :)

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I've researched them quite a bit, they seem to be a good all around tire and if C-rated is a must your choices are pretty limited. TBH I don't mind E-rated enough to scratch them off my list if the tire is such a great performer, the Cooper STT Pros fall into that category.

Dan, if you have time to wait I'd take a good look at the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT coming out in April. I think that would check a couple more boxes vs. the X3, the MTs will have a 3peak snow rating, more aggressive sidewalls and the newest tire technology (as far as rubber compounds and quieting features). Luckily I have time to wait as I think these will have nice tread depth, good weight and should be available in at least a D rated, and hopefully a C, but like I mentioned, not a deal breaker for me if E is the only choice :)
Good to know! I would certainly consider D rated, but I do a lot of daily driving as well as off-roading. And i agree the Baja Boss looks great! I certainly can wait until April or longer. Do you know when MT will release specs?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Good to know! I would certainly consider D rated, but I do a lot of daily driving as well as off-roading. And i agree the Baja Boss looks great! I certainly can wait until April or longer. Do you know when MT will release specs?
Here's a thread on those I posted a few weeks back, the fellow I emailed at M/T said mid- April for the launch, no details for the time frame for specs to be released
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/newest-mickey-thompsons-launching-in-april.65274/

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Btw, Cooper is being bought out by Goodyear. Just saw that yesterday.

Do they have any tread pics out yet? Sidewall looks good!
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone Running General Grabber X3's? 1614115343272

Ummmm, it's NOT the one on the left :)
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone Running General Grabber X3's? 1614115365705

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Ummmm, it's NOT the one on the left :)
Looks great! But I think I'm looking to go a little more aggressive than that. (Again, not the one on the left! Not sure more aggressive than that one even exists! Lol!)

Yondu_JLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Looks great! But I think I'm looking to go a little more aggressive than that. (Again, not the one on the left! Not sure more aggressive than that one even exists! Lol!)
I've been incredibly happy with my Trail Grapplers. Granted, they are heavy, but they are wearing well for an M/T with softer compound and they look really clean / aggressive imo. Ride smooth as butter too with proper balancing and rotations. Just my input :CWL:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If you want a bit more aggressive the Cooper MTP (only available @Discount Tire ) might be one to check out. Pretty much an STT Pro w/ 2 ply sidewalls, still retains the deep tread depth but is a D-rated in the 315/70/17 size and not too heavy, they're also on my short list.
https://us.coopertire.com/tires/discoverer-mtp

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
20210116_161815.jpg

I've been running the x3's on my truck in an e load rating, not exactly apples to apples with a jeep. They are very quite on the road for an Mt. Work much better in the mud than the ko2's. Not quite as good in the snow.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

JROOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 2.0
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™ve been running the x3 for two years now in the Sierraā€™s and here is how I rate:

highway: I rarely drive on highway but they are not well suited
mud: 10/10, never had an issue and Iā€™ve tried to get stuck
Snow: 10/10 never been stuck
Snow over Sierra cement: 8.5. see comment on ice next
ice: white knuckle. If itā€˜s a black ice morning I consider taking my subie
rocks: Iā€™ve taken them over the rubicon several times. Got some scars and minor missing chunks but otherwise no issue so maybe 9 to 9.5?

hope that helps

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™ve been running the x3 for two years now in the Sierraā€™s and here is how I rate:

highway: I rarely drive on highway but they are not well suited
mud: 10/10, never had an issue and Iā€™ve tried to get stuck
Snow: 10/10 never been stuck
Snow over Sierra cement: 8.5. see comment on ice next
ice: white knuckle. If itā€˜s a black ice morning I consider taking my subie
rocks: Iā€™ve taken them over the rubicon several times. Got some scars and minor missing chunks but otherwise no issue so maybe 9 to 9.5?

hope that helps
I appreciate the review! Are yours the C-rated version? I'm guessing the main issue on the highway is noise, or does it wander a bit? I've driven mud tires that do have some tendency to wander.
Sponsored