Anyone running Artec skid plate system on 2021

wfo9

First Name
Britt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Truggy, Tube Buggy on 43s, 4Runner, JLU XR
I just picked up a 2021 Rubicon with the XR package.. factory 1.5" lift and 35s (really 315s).

I'm very familiar with the benefits of steel skid plates in certain areas as well as the pros and cons of aluminum. vs steel.

This won't be a hard core wheeler ( I have plenty of those, this is really the wife's daily) , but it will see some difficult trails on Moab ect. I know famous last words.. but it will probably get 37s.. just won't be a beat down rig. I really want to keep this rig as light and nimble as possible, but protect vital stuff as well.

Looking at this setup.
https://www.artecindustries.com/jluskidplate-al36

Seems to work with 2021 (I guess some things changed on 2021s)

it states: NOTE: 1.5"+ LIFT REQUIRED FOR USE WITH BELLYPAN

Does anyone know why that is or where the clearance issue is.. I just want to make sure it will work without adding a lift.. (I have plans for that in future but wanted to start with just the skids)

I've sent an email to Arctec but just looking for additional input.

Thanks

Picture of it facing off with a new bronco on 35s in the neighborhood just for kicks.

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone running Artec skid plate system on 2021 jeepbronco
Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I just picked up a 2021 Rubicon with the XR package.. factory 1.5" lift and 35s (really 315s).

I'm very familiar with the benefits of steel skid plates in certain areas as well as the pros and cons of aluminum. vs steel.

This won't be a hard core wheeler ( I have plenty of those, this is really the wife's daily) , but it will see some difficult trails on Moab ect. I know famous last words.. but it will probably get 37s.. just won't be a beat down rig. I really want to keep this rig as light and nimble as possible, but protect vital stuff as well.

Looking at this setup.
https://www.artecindustries.com/jluskidplate-al36

Seems to work with 2021 (I guess some things changed on 2021s)

it states: NOTE: 1.5"+ LIFT REQUIRED FOR USE WITH BELLYPAN

Does anyone know why that is or where the clearance issue is.. I just want to make sure it will work without adding a lift.. (I have plans for that in future but wanted to start with just the skids)

I've sent an email to Arctec but just looking for additional input.

Thanks

Picture of it facing off with a new bronco on 35s just for kicks.

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone running Artec skid plate system on 2021 jeepbronco
I have this skid plate system on my 2021 JLU Rubicon 2.0T. It is high quality. The installation is do-able in an afternoon with the Jeep on the ground. A helper is good but not necessary.

The clearance issue is with the engine skid plate bracket which gets a bit close to the front differential. Technically Artec should say requires a 1.5" bump stop extension, not a 1.5" lift.

I drove around town with it before I installed my lift without any issues. It is not that close. But I can see it maybe touching if fully stuffed on the front driver side.

My understanding is that the XR comes with bump stop extensions already. So I'd say you are OK without a lift.

OP
OP

wfo9

First Name
Britt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have this skid plate system on my 2021 JLU Rubicon 2.0T. It is high quality. The installation is do-able in an afternoon with the Jeep on the ground. A helper is good but not necessary.

The clearance issue is with the engine skid plate bracket which gets a bit close to the front differential. Technically Artec should say requires a 1.5" bump stop extension, not a 1.5" lift.

I drove around town with it before I installed my lift without any issues. It is not that close. But I can see it maybe touching if fully stuffed on the front driver side.

My understanding is that the XR comes with bump stop extensions already. So I'd say you are OK without a lift.
Thanks for that info.. Yes the XR seems to have a bump stop extension. I'm not that familiar with jeep factory suspensions but it looks like very little up travel up front before it gets into the bump stop. Feels like they stiffened it up overall, but not sure.

OP
OP

wfo9

First Name
Britt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got this response fro artec as well.

Thanks for reaching out! With the Xtreme Recon already coming with a 1.5" factory lift you should be good to go with no modification needed toy our lift status. The reason a lift is needed is the area up front above the axle is already super tight, so with the addition of our skid and the motor mounts, the differential housing can contact your motor mount bracket when the suspension is at full compression on stock height. With a 1.5" lift or higher, that is no longer an issue. As for the e-torque skid, it is not necessary for you to run it. If down the line you decide you want the e-torque skid, it can be purchased separately and added later.

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I have that kit on my 2021 Rubicon and while I have the Tereflex levelling kit, I did not extend the bump-stops and haven’t noticed any clearance issues other than the engine skid slightly rubs the exhaust under certain conditions even after I ”massaged” the pipe. I may pull the emgine skid tomorrow and tweak the exhaust a bit more or lower the skid a 1/4 inch or so.
Overall, I would highly recommend this kit to anyone looking for some strong yet lightweight armour.

Sponsored

markw365

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Clubs

Be careful when you order this kit. It defaults to the 18-20 belly pan. I ordered it and had it a couple days later. Went to put it on last Saturday, and got to the engine brackets, and whoops. They don't work. There's a different set of brackets for the 2021+. Called them on monday and they sent me the right brackets. This is probably one of the nicest aftermarket jeep parts I've ever installed. I did have to use a ratchet strap to pull the tank skid forward to get the bolts started. Also the rear drivers bolt on the transfer case skid is a straight hole, the 2021 frame rail hole is offset a little from the 18-20. Outside of the mess up on my part and part of the website though, it was a bolt on. I've also got the e-torque motor and ordered the skid for that. Very little documentation on that skid, it comes with an L bracket that bolts to the holes in their crossmember, and uses PEM nuts on the stock battery skid. Their support is great, they fixed the issue I had, and answered questions about the new brackets. I'll put the engine pan skid on this weekend. My 2021 is an XR with the e-torque.

OP
OP

wfo9

First Name
Britt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Be careful when you order this kit. It defaults to the 18-20 belly pan. I ordered it and had it a couple days later. Went to put it on last Saturday, and got to the engine brackets, and whoops. They don't work. There's a different set of brackets for the 2021+. Called them on monday and they sent me the right brackets. This is probably one of the nicest aftermarket jeep parts I've ever installed. I did have to use a ratchet strap to pull the tank skid forward to get the bolts started. Also the rear drivers bolt on the transfer case skid is a straight hole, the 2021 frame rail hole is offset a little from the 18-20. Outside of the mess up on my part and part of the website though, it was a bolt on. I've also got the e-torque motor and ordered the skid for that. Very little documentation on that skid, it comes with an L bracket that bolts to the holes in their crossmember, and uses PEM nuts on the stock battery skid. Their support is great, they fixed the issue I had, and answered questions about the new brackets. I'll put the engine pan skid on this weekend. My 2021 is an XR with the e-torque.
Did you get the new brackets.. Have any pics? Installing mine and no way oil pan brackets going to work.. Have a call in to them to see what the issue is.. I ordered the right kit for 2021 but Don't see how it is suppose to work with the new engine mounts.

545moose

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460
Cost and weight, those are the main differences. I ran steel on my old GX and it became a big heavy girl; if you're not rock crawling I'd go aluminum, I've yet to see any aluminum buckle under normal use and have people be like "oh man, should've gone steel". It's piece of mind, and also double the weight and cheaper, but all your mods will add up; think about your long-term goals for the truck.

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Did you get the new brackets.. Have any pics? Installing mine and no way oil pan brackets going to work.. Have a call in to them to see what the issue is.. I ordered the right kit for 2021 but Don't see how it is suppose to work with the new engine mounts.
Are you sure the brackets won’t work? On my 2021 3.6 the instructions were for the older brackets and I was positive I had the wrong ones but after looking at them for quite a while they did fit but just nothing like the instructions showed.
They actually go on top of the motor mounts as opposed to below as shown in the instructions.

OP
OP

wfo9

First Name
Britt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you sure the brackets won’t work? On my 2021 3.6 the instructions were for the older brackets and I was positive I had the wrong ones but after looking at them for quite a while they did fit but just nothing like the instructions showed.
They actually go on top of the motor mounts as opposed to below as shown in the instructions.
Yes, I figured it out.. on my own but did get some pictures from artec as well. Instructions were just 100% wrong for a 2021 in that area.

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone running Artec skid plate system on 2021 artec_passenger

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone running Artec skid plate system on 2021 artec_driver

Sponsored

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Yes, I figured it out.. on my own but did get some pictures from artec as well. Instructions were just 100% wrong for a 2021 in that area.

If those are pictures of your actual install I see an error on the passenger side mount. The factory motor mount bolt should have been replaced with a longer bolt that was included in the kit. I did the exact same thing before I realized a random bolt in the kit was supposed to be replace the stock bolt to allow full thread engagement of the nut that holds the skid bracket to the motor mount

OP
OP

wfo9

First Name
Britt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If those are pictures of your actual install I see an error on the passenger side mount. The factory motor mount bolt should have been replaced with a longer bolt that was included in the kit. I did the exact same thing before I realized a random bolt in the kit was supposed to be replace the stock bolt to allow full thread engagement of the nut that holds the skid bracket to the motor mount
No those were the pictures they sent.. One of the arms not even welded yet....
Sponsored