Sponsored

Anyone running 37s on stock Rubicon wheels?

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I'm a sucker for the looks of our stock wheels. I'm going to have to change wheels when I go to 15.5" wide Swamper SSRs, but nothing I see in the aftermarket makes me as happy as what I already have
Sponsored

c20040215

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S; 2023 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Question about your wheel spacers: did you have to trim the studs to fit the spacers?
No, there are pockets on the back of stock wheels.

Off-Road Toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2dr ; 2019 Winnebago Navion
Many people on here don't understand this. 12.5 on an 7.5"wide rim will actually act as a poor man's beadlock. I have run my 37" 12.5" patts at 10psi with no issues.

You will most def need spacers. I added spydertrax 1.75 spacers and I still rub at articulation when offroading.
What is meant by a poor manā€™s bead lock when running 37ā€˜s on stock Rubicon rims?
I am doing just that and am nervous to air down below 18 psi off road.
But I donā€™t understand why bigger tires on smaller rims Produce a beadlocking effect?
Thanks.

Last edited:

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
What is the point to put that 12.5 wide tire on a narrow wheel ? I mean are people just in love with the stock wheels? Yes I liked my Rubicon Wheels a lot but there are a lot better looking aftermarket wheels than the stock Rubicon Wheels that's a fact. I liked a all black wheel so I went with my method Wheels and don't miss my stock Rubicon Wheels anymore. I mean I get it if you can't afford to buy a new Wheels then I can understand save the money no problem but you can't tell me the stock Rubicon Wheels look better than every aftermarket wheel out there. No way. If you want that skinny looking look then get 10.5 I mean you're not pulling at 12.5 tire out as wide as it can be pulled out with the smaller wheel so just get a smaller tire not as wide get a 10 and a half you'll basically get the same look it will pull the 10.5 out wide you're not pulling the 12.5 out as wide as it can go you're basically running that 12.5 tire the way it looks sitting on the ground. When you get that water wheel you're pulling it out more so just get a smaller tire like a 10.5

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I'm a sucker for the looks of our stock wheels. I'm going to have to change wheels when I go to 15.5" wide Swamper SSRs, but nothing I see in the aftermarket makes me as happy as what I already have
I don't know where you're looking for your wheels but you're telling me you can't find any wheels that looks better than the stock wheels. I don't know where you're looking lol

Last edited:

Sponsored

Off-Road Toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What is meant by a poor manā€™s bead lock when running 37ā€˜s on stock Rubicon rims?
I am doing just that and am nervous to air down below 18 psi off road.
But I donā€™t understand why bigger tires on smaller rims Produce a beadlocking effect?
Thanks.
My question remains unanswered.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
My question remains unanswered.
Tires de-bead by pushing inward, as you'll basically never create enough pressure to force the tire out over the wheel lip short of a high speed rollover. The wider the tire and the narrower the wheel, the more pressure it will take to push the tire inward at the same psi. If you ran a 10.5" wide tire on a 12" wide wheel, the only thing holding the bead on would be air pressure.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I don't know where you're looking for your wheels but you're telling me you can't find any wheels that looks better than the stock wheels. I don't know where you're looking lol
It's funny you say that, but I've yet to find a wheel I like more, and I've wasted far more time than I care to admit browsing.

Of course, I also feel that you can't top the 4-lug Ponys on a Fox body. What can I say, we're all entitled to our own opinions even if everyone else is wrong...

Off-Road Toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tires de-bead by pushing inward, as you'll basically never create enough pressure to force the tire out over the wheel lip short of a high speed rollover. The wider the tire and the narrower the wheel, the more pressure it will take to push the tire inward at the same psi. If you ran a 10.5" wide tire on a 12" wide wheel, the only thing holding the bead on would be air pressure.
Makes sense. Thanks !!

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
What is the point to put that 12.5 wide tire on a narrow wheel ? I mean are people just in love with the stock wheels? Yes I liked my Rubicon Wheels a lot but there are a lot better looking aftermarket wheels than the stock Rubicon Wheels that's a fact. I liked a all black wheel so I went with my method Wheels and don't miss my stock Rubicon Wheels anymore. I mean I get it if you can't afford to buy a new Wheels then I can understand save the money no problem but you can't tell me the stock Rubicon Wheels look better than every aftermarket wheel out there. No way. If you want that skinny looking look then get 10.5 I mean you're not pulling at 12.5 tire out as wide as it can be pulled out with the smaller wheel so just get a smaller tire not as wide get a 10 and a half you'll basically get the same look it will pull the 10.5 out wide you're not pulling the 12.5 out as wide as it can go you're basically running that 12.5 tire the way it looks sitting on the ground. When you get that water wheel you're pulling it out more so just get a smaller tire like a 10.5
The last thing I want in an off road tire/wheel combination is the tire being pulled out by a wide wheel, that is asking for de-beading issues. Even on the stock rubicon wheels with 37x12.50ā€™s, every wheel has rock rash on it, the wider the wheel, the worse that is. Sure, I can afford new wheels and there are some great looking options out there, but I donā€™t see any benefit in changing out the stock wheels. We havenā€™t had a single issue with burping air even down to 10 psi, which was a regular occurrence on my old XJ with 10ā€ wide wheels on both 12.50ā€™s and 14.50ā€™s. If you prefer the look of aftermarket wheels and stretched tires, have at it. Iā€™ll stick with what has proven itself to work great on and off road for thousands of miles under my preferred use.

Sponsored

Off-Road Toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Going on 1 year with 37ā€™s on my stock Rubicon rims (pardon any redundancy below) :

ā€¦..After much research and dialogue with my local Jeep dealership I feel very comfortable with 37ā€™s on my stock rims. I chalk tested them and found they do crown a little bit if you inflate them too much. I determined the sweet spot to be 28 psi for daily driving. Plus I can air them down to 16 off-road without worrying about popping a bead.

I also DO see eighth gear frequently; although I will admit that itā€™s not as often as before the upsize.

I did let Jeep recalibrate my speedometer because they told me that it would / might change the shifting points but frankly I think they were wrong.

As for off-roading: It took me a while to get the nerve to go from 18 psi to 16 but with a number of advanced Moab trails under my belt ; Iā€™m now even thinking about trying 14 psiā€¦, yikes.

No rubbing whatsoever (Terraflex Lift).

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone running 37s on stock Rubicon wheels? 5D6EC6D4-A5B8-48AE-B454-411C5419AAAA

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone running 37s on stock Rubicon wheels? ED3A5FEE-7A14-4C4D-BE18-C0D509715338

Dfideth

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6 Sarge
Occupation
Crane Tech
Been running my 37" yokohamas for the last year and a half. ran them at 18 lbs on 7-8-9 rated trails. damaged 3 wheels with boulder and rock strikes. used a 1-1/4" and no other adjustment and can achieve full articulation and no rubbing on the front. rears rub the plastic a little.
so basically no problems.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
Take an unmounted tire and see how much force to takes to push in the bead 3/8" inch. Not much. Narrow rims help, but probably only a few percent. Poor persons beadlock is a vast overstatement.

A narrow rim wouldn't have held that bead.

As for off-roading: It took me a while to get the nerve to go from 18 psi to 16 but with a number of advanced Moab trails under my belt ; Iā€™m now even thinking about trying 14 psiā€¦, yikes.
Took me many trips to work down to 13 psi. Keep dropping, someone mentioned they drop to 10.

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Take an unmounted tire and see how much force to takes to push in the bead 3/8" inch. Not much. Narrow rims help, but probably only a few percent. Poor persons beadlock is a vast overstatement.

A narrow rim wouldn't have held that bead.

Took me many trips to work down to 13 psi. Keep dropping, someone mentioned they drop to 10.
Ran 12 psi for the last 3 days on the Rubicon without an issue. Only an idiot would think it's an actual beadlock running a 13.50" on a 7.5" wheel, and run low single digit psi. Having run a 14.50 pitbull on a 10" wide wheel and a 12.50 or 13.50 on a narrow factory wheel through the same trails, I can guarantee you from personal experience that the wider wheel will lead to burping air when a rock pushes against the sidewall 100% of the time. Burping air leads to further lowering of the pressure in the tire and eventually de-beading if you don't stop to add air. This is both logic and experience based. Obviously a wide double beadlock will retain the beads at much lower psi than any other setup. Conversely, if you are going to run a non-beadlock wheel, I guarantee a narrower wheel will hold a bead and/or air pressure better than a wide wheel every time. Full force against the sidewall pushing in to an obstacle, and even at 12 psi the tires didn't burp, let alone debead an a 38x13.50 tire on factory wheels. Take the same tire on a 9.5-10" wide wheel in the same condition and see what happens? Been there done that. The 13.50 would flatten out to 20" wide at 12 psi under full load coming down an obstacle, but keep telling me it doesn't work. If you want to spend 2500 on beadlocks, you better significantly outperform my stock junk. Meanwhile we just ran the entire Rubicon trail alone. 0 winching. 0 spotting. Used the front locker 3 times and both lockers once. The only optional obstacle we didn't run was soup bowl as it is far too early into the trail coming in from loon lake to push it when wheeling alone in the wife's daily driver. Keep telling me what you've heard and I'll keep doing what I've done for 25 years thanks.

20220623_171803.jpg

20220624_081337.jpg

20220624_091802.jpg

20220624_102735.jpg

20220624_111259.jpg

20220624_132739.jpg
Sponsored