Anyone running 37s on stock Rubicon wheels?

Toycrusher

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I'm a sucker for the looks of our stock wheels. I'm going to have to change wheels when I go to 15.5" wide Swamper SSRs, but nothing I see in the aftermarket makes me as happy as what I already have

Off-Road Toad

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2dr ; 2019 Winnebago Navion
Many people on here don't understand this. 12.5 on an 7.5"wide rim will actually act as a poor man's beadlock. I have run my 37" 12.5" patts at 10psi with no issues.

You will most def need spacers. I added spydertrax 1.75 spacers and I still rub at articulation when offroading.
What is meant by a poor man’s bead lock when running 37‘s on stock Rubicon rims?
I am doing just that and am nervous to air down below 18 psi off road.
But I don’t understand why bigger tires on smaller rims Produce a beadlocking effect?
Thanks.

Last edited:

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
What is the point to put that 12.5 wide tire on a narrow wheel ? I mean are people just in love with the stock wheels? Yes I liked my Rubicon Wheels a lot but there are a lot better looking aftermarket wheels than the stock Rubicon Wheels that's a fact. I liked a all black wheel so I went with my method Wheels and don't miss my stock Rubicon Wheels anymore. I mean I get it if you can't afford to buy a new Wheels then I can understand save the money no problem but you can't tell me the stock Rubicon Wheels look better than every aftermarket wheel out there. No way. If you want that skinny looking look then get 10.5 I mean you're not pulling at 12.5 tire out as wide as it can be pulled out with the smaller wheel so just get a smaller tire not as wide get a 10 and a half you'll basically get the same look it will pull the 10.5 out wide you're not pulling the 12.5 out as wide as it can go you're basically running that 12.5 tire the way it looks sitting on the ground. When you get that water wheel you're pulling it out more so just get a smaller tire like a 10.5

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I'm a sucker for the looks of our stock wheels. I'm going to have to change wheels when I go to 15.5" wide Swamper SSRs, but nothing I see in the aftermarket makes me as happy as what I already have
I don't know where you're looking for your wheels but you're telling me you can't find any wheels that looks better than the stock wheels. I don't know where you're looking lol

Last edited:

Off-Road Toad

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What is meant by a poor man’s bead lock when running 37‘s on stock Rubicon rims?
I am doing just that and am nervous to air down below 18 psi off road.
But I don’t understand why bigger tires on smaller rims Produce a beadlocking effect?
Thanks.
My question remains unanswered.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
My question remains unanswered.
Tires de-bead by pushing inward, as you'll basically never create enough pressure to force the tire out over the wheel lip short of a high speed rollover. The wider the tire and the narrower the wheel, the more pressure it will take to push the tire inward at the same psi. If you ran a 10.5" wide tire on a 12" wide wheel, the only thing holding the bead on would be air pressure.

Toycrusher

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I don't know where you're looking for your wheels but you're telling me you can't find any wheels that looks better than the stock wheels. I don't know where you're looking lol
It's funny you say that, but I've yet to find a wheel I like more, and I've wasted far more time than I care to admit browsing.

Of course, I also feel that you can't top the 4-lug Ponys on a Fox body. What can I say, we're all entitled to our own opinions even if everyone else is wrong...

Off-Road Toad

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tires de-bead by pushing inward, as you'll basically never create enough pressure to force the tire out over the wheel lip short of a high speed rollover. The wider the tire and the narrower the wheel, the more pressure it will take to push the tire inward at the same psi. If you ran a 10.5" wide tire on a 12" wide wheel, the only thing holding the bead on would be air pressure.
Makes sense. Thanks !!

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
What is the point to put that 12.5 wide tire on a narrow wheel ? I mean are people just in love with the stock wheels? Yes I liked my Rubicon Wheels a lot but there are a lot better looking aftermarket wheels than the stock Rubicon Wheels that's a fact. I liked a all black wheel so I went with my method Wheels and don't miss my stock Rubicon Wheels anymore. I mean I get it if you can't afford to buy a new Wheels then I can understand save the money no problem but you can't tell me the stock Rubicon Wheels look better than every aftermarket wheel out there. No way. If you want that skinny looking look then get 10.5 I mean you're not pulling at 12.5 tire out as wide as it can be pulled out with the smaller wheel so just get a smaller tire not as wide get a 10 and a half you'll basically get the same look it will pull the 10.5 out wide you're not pulling the 12.5 out as wide as it can go you're basically running that 12.5 tire the way it looks sitting on the ground. When you get that water wheel you're pulling it out more so just get a smaller tire like a 10.5
The last thing I want in an off road tire/wheel combination is the tire being pulled out by a wide wheel, that is asking for de-beading issues. Even on the stock rubicon wheels with 37x12.50’s, every wheel has rock rash on it, the wider the wheel, the worse that is. Sure, I can afford new wheels and there are some great looking options out there, but I don’t see any benefit in changing out the stock wheels. We haven’t had a single issue with burping air even down to 10 psi, which was a regular occurrence on my old XJ with 10” wide wheels on both 12.50’s and 14.50’s. If you prefer the look of aftermarket wheels and stretched tires, have at it. I’ll stick with what has proven itself to work great on and off road for thousands of miles under my preferred use.

Advertisement

Clayton Offroad

Advertisement