Sponsored

Anyone replaced their e-locker with an ARB air locker?

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Yeah...I think his numbers are likely a bit off, but I'm not at all sure the rear 60 in the "axle set" is anything like the "ProFloat XD60". I'd wager the real full floater in the set is quite a bit more expensive...but that's just a guess on my part.

Having built several 1T rear axles, there's really no need to spend more than $2-2500 in total on a rear FF set up with a selectable and gears (including discs). Dynatrac consistently rapes people, but people who don't know any better continue to cough up the dough for the perceived prestige and/or value so it must be at least a workable business plan in a very niche market.

To each their own. I know if I were building a custom housing at that price point, Dynatrac would NOT be my first or even 2nd choice.....probably somewhere south of 3 or 4 frankly.
Yeah seriously. I wouldn’t spend a dime on that “pro float” axle. Either stay with the 44 or go all the way to a real FF.

As far as the Arb goes, mine has been solid with no issues.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Yeah...I think his numbers are likely a bit off, but I'm not at all sure the rear 60 in the "axle set" is anything like the "ProFloat XD60". I'd wager the real full floater in the set is quite a bit more expensive...but that's just a guess on my part.

Having built several 1T rear axles, there's really no need to spend more than $2-2500 in total on a rear FF set up with a selectable and gears (including discs). Dynatrac consistently rapes people, but people who don't know any better continue to cough up the dough for the perceived prestige and/or value so it must be at least a workable business plan in a very niche market.

To each their own. I know if I were building a custom housing at that price point, Dynatrac would NOT be my first or even 2nd choice.....probably somewhere south of 3 or 4 frankly.
Yes, but looking at your posts you are clearly a fabricator/builder. Many on here are what I call "bolters" as in buy it and bolt it on as per the instructions.

This seems to be the Dynatrac model - to have packages that a bolter can tackle on their own, and charge a nice hefty premium for it.

Not everyone can source the parts and assemble an axle housing - that is builder/fabricator land.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Personally, I haven’t had good luck with ARB. I had an ARB CKMA12 onboard compressor installed on my 2013 Rubicon: the motor blew up one time I was airing up my 35” tires. Thankfully I was almost done airing up the last tire. it was only the third time I used that compressor.

More recently, my buddy in Canada installed a rear ARB locker on his Japan-spec Mitsubishi Delica 4x4. Airing up one time, it spilled its fluid all over the interior of the van. It was only the second time he used it. He had to have the compressor rebuilt. It’s been working fine since then, but he is now careful with it.

Not sure if ARB moved production to China, but the quality doesn’t seem to match any longer the lofty prices it charges.

Good luck.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
You mean gear oil from the diff? If so, that's an installer problem....as in some dolt probably routed the ARB air line through the vent plug location, then drilled a new port location somewhere else (like, hopefully NOT over the ring where it would send gear oil slung off the teeth directly into the breather vent causing it to clog and back up the entire system, blow the seals, etc.....seen that before).
No, the ARB air compressor itself spilt its inner fluid/oil all over the vehicle floor.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
No, the ARB air compressor itself spilt its inner fluid/oil all over the vehicle floor.
I've had an ARB compressor apart and their is no inner fluid except normal lube on bearings, etc.

If it blew oil all over interior perhaps it was pumping oil from the axle via the locker somehow?

Sounds like installer error?

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
But that's never been my actual profession. I work in manned space flight/rocket propulsion. I've never actually been employed as a fabricator...it's just a hobby. My point is that anyone can learn to do the stuff I'm doing....you just have to have the drive. <-true of anything in life.

And the main point was that for the price Dynatrac charges, I'd probably go Currie for completely bolt in before them. And you can build a much stronger/better custom axle from Sypdertrax/Gearworks or Torq or even Diamond or Ruffstuff, etc. if you know how to mig....which is just a hot glue gun for metal and pretty hard to fuck up with even a modicum of research/understanding.

Basically, you gotta start your learning process somewhere and if you're serious about this sport at all, you're going to eventually be faced with making some of the stuff you need yourself....or you'll have to have some seriously deep pockets.
Completely agree. And while to get started means buying some tools and equipment that probably is equal to the cost of just paying someone to do it as you point out it's a learning experience and the 2nd time you use that equipment/tools it's money in your pocket. Plus that learning gets reused on the next job, etc, etc.

The other thing is you know the job will be done to the best of your abilities and by someone who cares; as far too many bad mechanics out there who will take your $$$ and do the minimum job to get it out the door.

Not all are this way and if you find a good mechanic you need to buy them donuts regularly (or bring them TGIF beers ;)

My education was electrical engineering but went into mechanical and specialized in systems engineering. I moved into management and up the corporate totem-pole.

My job is now very white collar where my direct reports drive Audi's, Porsche's and those going through mid-life crisis more exotic choices (both vehicles and women). They get mani-pedi's and things waxed. A ratcheting screw driver confuses them.

I'm the only guy in the conference room with cuts and scabs on the hands from wrenching on stuff. They also are confused by the hulking blue Jeep I drive as all off-roaders are red necks right?

They go to the Hamptons for the weekends, I go to the off road park, or help the local Jeep club teach new owners how to work on their jeeps. The jeep wave also really confuses them.

PS: I also am pretty sure the company you are with is a customer of ours.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
Dynatrac is fairly popular with us on the West Coast. Jim been around a long time. All my dealings with them have been positive. They definitely have a premium product and their prices reflect that. Sometimes you get what you pay for. They have a lot of innovative products proprietary castings etc. Many axle builders are getting stuff from Dynatrac so he keeps his prices set to protect down stream sales. No I don’t work there, just worked in the off-road industry in California for 30+ years. Giving my opinion.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Dynatrac is fairly popular with us on the West Coast. Jim been around a long time. All my dealings with them have been positive. They definitely have a premium product and their prices reflect that. Sometimes you get what you pay for. They have a lot of innovative products proprietary castings etc. Many axle builders are getting stuff from Dynatrac so he keeps his prices set to protect down stream sales. No I don’t work there, just worked in the off-road industry in California for 30+ years. Giving my opinion.
I don’t think anybody is saying they don’t make good gear, but you can literally build 5-10 axles for the cost of one of theirs. I think we’re a little beyond “you get what you pay for”.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
I don’t think anybody is saying they don’t make good gear, but you can literally build 5-10 axles for the cost of one of theirs. I think we’re a little beyond “you get what you pay for”.
5-10 axles ?
You lost any credibility. Go away

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
10 rear FFs?....yeah. Fronts...not so much. You're in a front 60 ~$8K at best if you upgrade knuckles/steering arms as you'll need to for full hydro. If I just go full spool out back, that's definitely doable. Pretty sure my FF rear 4340 35 spline D60 with Spicer 5.86s and 4130 chromo spool was just under $1500 with discs and heavy cover, including buying the bone yard axle.

That said, it doesn't have the extra ground clearance of a Pro-Rock (for example).

The "get what you pay for" is where Solidaxle's train derailed ever so slightly. ;) The rest, I'd agree with.

Dynatrac is quality kit, but for close to the same price you can get into Gearworks/Spidertrax/Torq and I doubt anyone's going to argue it's just as good.
Well see, I’ve only built a rear axle, which I guess is why I almost choked when I saw the price for the Dynatrac.

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
I *think* he meant front D44, rear 60. They have the rear 60....but they aren't saying what the price is unless you ask for a quote. https://www.dynatrac.com/axle-assemblies/jeep-jl-wrangler/profloat-xd60-for-jl.html

The front D44 is $5300 with gears and a locker and 1541H shafts (not RCVs) and that's re-using your outer knuckles from what I can tell.

Correct, I meant front 44 and rear 60. $10K ish. Depends on options of course, but I wasn't talking stacked with everything known to man.

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...-performance-prorock-44-60-axle-set-assembled

I don't see how numbers are off (see link above). Sure, not perfect axles...but compared to factory I can't imagine they aren't improved.
Sponsored