Sponsored

Anyone replaced their e-locker with an ARB air locker?

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Yeah...the tooling pays for itself in literally a few simple projects vs. paying a professional fabricator to do it....and it opens up a whole new world of possibilities. I frankly am not sure how I survived without a welder and plasma cutter prior to owning them, lol.

Sooooo true about getting the job done the way you want it.

I buy donuts for the parts guys at the dealerships I use....specifically for that purpose. They usually give me wholesale for stuff that I'd normally have to pay retail on for that reason.

Yep...we've got those folks at my work too. Most of them are incredibly intelligent, but they are more number crunchers or "nerds" (as we call them to their faces and they love it, lol) that do computational flow dynamics all day, but don't know how to take apart their dash to change a bad ignition switch (which me and another test engineer did a few weeks back for one of our dearly loved nerds).

You sound like the kind of engineer I like working with....I call the other ones "theoretical engineers"....they are great on solidworks/catia/pro-e etc. but don't want to get their hands dirty. You sound like you started as much more of a "hands on" engineer (as I call them)....who generally are a lot more well rounded, and easier to work with especially when the real world and the design world of the computer don't mesh as they thought they would.

In any case, yeah....aerospace, especially manned space is a niche. Most likely our paths cross somewhere along the line...but we're a tiny company that holds a few key patents on the propulsion side and even in our thrust vector actuators line, we only have 1 other competitor. Very small world.
Correct, I meant front 44 and rear 60. $10K ish. Depends on options of course, but I wasn't talking stacked with everything known to man.

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...-performance-prorock-44-60-axle-set-assembled

I don't see how numbers are off (see link above). Sure, not perfect axles...but compared to factory I can't imagine they aren't improved.
JK only for now it seems?
Sponsored

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Good catch...didn't notice that.

Wonder how long before the JL ones are available.

Shit. Apologies. Had the link saved from before the JLUR when I was thinking of a JKU build.

Hopefully for those in need it comes soon. Price should be the same...I assume. Brackets are brackets.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I think they may offer the new Reid racing as an option as they do on their other axle offerings?

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
Because I am. Wanting a little feedback
Screwed with ARBs for 200k miles on my XJ.... Anything but ARBs. It's pure Rube Goldberg. I might add that when air pressure enters the axles you'll be doing seals and smelling a lot of gear oil....have fun!

Last edited:

69 ORIGINAL

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS 3.6L & 2020 JLUS 2.0L
Occupation
Finance
So, back to the original question on ARBs ... if you already have onboard air and price is irrelevant, which is more reliable for a selectible option - air locker, e locker, other? What's less likely to break when the driver does stupid stuff like bounce on rocks or submerge in pits of muddy water for extended periods of time. Input and rationales would be awesome.

Sponsored

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Agreed. Shocked after a few years the combo isn't out.

Screwed with ARBs for 200k miles on my XJ.... Anything but ARBs. It's pure Rube Goldberg. I might add that when air pressure enters the axles you'll be doing seals and smelling a lot of gear oil....have fun!
I liked the front ARB on my TJ. Never an issue. My only reason to comment against them here, was to not put them in a Rubi axle that was slated for repair.

So, back to the original question on ARBs ... if you already have onboard air and price is irrelevant, which is more reliable for a selectible option - air locker, e locker, other? What's less likely to break when the driver does stupid stuff like bounce on rocks or submerge in pits of muddy water for extended periods of time. Input and rationales would be awesome.
Depending on the OBA, you gotta watch the pressure.

As far as what locker will break first...generally stuff next to it, shafts, seals, etc. Lockers don't break that often in reality in comparison to other parts. It's like running a D30 with 35s. Leave stock outers and you have a "fuse" to break first. Anything can break.

69 ORIGINAL

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS 3.6L & 2020 JLUS 2.0L
Occupation
Finance
Agreed. Shocked after a few years the combo isn't out.

I liked the front ARB on my TJ. Never an issue. My only reason to comment against them here, was to not put them in a Rubi axle that was slated for repair.

Depending on the OBA, you gotta watch the pressure.

As far as what locker will break first...generally stuff next to it, shafts, seals, etc. Lockers don't break that often in reality in comparison to other parts. It's like running a D30 with 35s. Leave stock outers and you have a "fuse" to break first. Anything can break.
Got it. So ... really kind of a push between air lockers and e lockers. Was absolutley looking at better axle shaft to handle the extra pressure climbing and 'chugging' up hill. Had heard some in my local group that were a little sour on the air - just because the hoses are a weak point that's harder to fix on trail, compressors also, etc. They thought the e lockers were a little more reliable and lot easier to fix (if wiring).

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Got it. So ... really kind of a push between air lockers and e lockers. Was absolutley looking at better axle shaft to handle the extra pressure climbing and 'chugging' up hill. Had heard some in my local group that were a little sour on the air - just because the hoses are a weak point that's harder to fix on trail, compressors also, etc. They thought the e lockers were a little more reliable and lot easier to fix (if wiring).
I'm not saying I am smarter than a shop. Just sharing my previous experience, not trying to sell either. Until the Rubi, I only had lunchbox, Detroit, and ARB. Never electronic. My JLUR is just barely over a week old with one offroad trip. I am not the expert here, but I don't personally see the ARB as a bad option.

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nose Picker
Had heard some in my local group that were a little sour on the air - just because the hoses are a weak point that's harder to fix on trail, compressors also, etc. They thought the e lockers were a little more reliable and lot easier to fix (if wiring).
On my first trail application, the blue line melted against the exhaust manifold after a big flex shifted the line location. Replaced entire blue line with 3/16'" copper. That modification became the ONLY link in the Rube Goldberg design which never failed again. It's then all about the air actuation sequence INSIDE the diff beginning with the weak and vulnerable solder joints associated with the seal housing. Of course, 90lbs of air in the axle will blow out your seals. Then, there's the post compressor molded electric solenoid actuator blocks. The wires departing the molding are thin, brittle, delicate and have no connectors. When they break, you're screwed. Cost me $180 for a pair of blocks, and the concept never improves. Under hood heat, condensation, winter ice just keeps things brittle and breaking. Here's the Rube Goldberg affair: 1) Easily breakable Electric actuator switches located inside the cab; 2) Wiring from battery, ground and switches to compressor 3) Compressor seals and tank, latest generations are now pretty good; My third compressor was fine. 4) Molded plastic solenoid blocks and air actuator assemblies post compressor. 5)Three electrical connectors to handle front, rear, and neutral switching. 6) Air lines to diffs 7) Air management circuits INSIDE diffs. ARB hardware is fine, but so is every other manufacturer's. To me the whole design setup reminds me of a middle school science fair project.
Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone replaced their e-locker with an ARB air locker? Google

Sponsored

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nose Picker
Less complexity, less things to go wrong, less to remember to turn on.
That's really what it's all about. Kinda like avoiding high maintenance women.;) Starting from scratch auto is the way to go.

deserteagle56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon
12 years now with ARBs front and rear and never one problem here.
Sponsored