Sponsored

Anyone replace the bulky electric sway bar disco with a manual setup?

Jeepnutz

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR
Hate the fact that the goofy electric disco sacrifices ground clearance plus reconnects at a turtles pace. Any issues with cel if ditching it for a manual disco?
Sponsored

NoahVD

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Tazer has a function for disabling it if you remove it so Im guessing it triggers something if you take it off.

LDJD79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I think Tazer has the option to eliminate it in their menu so you don’t have warning lights.
I rotated mine up to provide more clearance and for the cleaner look with my aftermarket bumper. Used the Ace engineering flip kit.

OP
OP
Jeepnutz

Jeepnutz

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think Tazer has the option to eliminate it in their menu so you don’t have warning lights.
I rotated mine up to provide more clearance and for the cleaner look with my aftermarket bumper. Used the Ace engineering flip kit.
Never seen that before. Do you have the Ace bumper or something else?

Sponsored

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Awesome. Thanks....
You are welcome.. I am going to hit the hardware store tomorrow to fabricate mine...

Hey Jeepnuts.. perhaps you should entertain the idea of flipping the electronic sway bar + using the EVO Manufacturing NoLimits Manual Sway Bar Disconnect ... that way you can convert yours to a manually operated disconnect without having to disasemble much... and probably cheaper than getting Antirock or any other full sway bar disconnect replacement kit... here is the Evo thing:

http://evomfg.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=154

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeepnutz

Jeepnutz

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You are welcome.. I am going to hit the hardware store tomorrow to fabricate mine...

Hey Jeepnuts.. perhaps you should entertain the idea of flipping the electronic sway bar + using the EVO Manufacturing NoLimits Manual Sway Bar Disconnect ... that way you can convert yours to a manually operated disconnect without having to disasemble much... and probably cheaper than getting Antirock or any other full sway bar disconnect replacement kit... here is the Evo thing:

http://evomfg.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=154
What front bumper you using? The flip only works if you have a bumper with a top mount winch is what Ace Engineering told me.

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What front bumper you using? The flip only works if you have a bumper with a top mount winch is what Ace Engineering told me.
What Ace Engineering said seems to be correct.. once you flip the sway bar it moves a bit under the bumper.. I can take more detailed photos and post them if that helps you..

I am using the J126730-JL - RedRock 4x4 Attack Stubby Front Bumper w/ Winch Mount (18-19 Jeep Wrangler JL)

https://www.extremeterrain.com/redrock-4x4-attack-stubby-front-bumper-w-winch-mount-2018-jl.html

Here is what I did... the bolt is a M10-1.5x10mm in Grade 10.9 for better strength (yeah.. I know.. I know... 12.9 grade is even stronger.. I KNOW!!!.. :) I also used a steel spacer (not sure if it was 3/8 or 7/16) .. in total I spent less than $10.. it is a 20 minutes job..

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone replace the bulky electric sway bar disco with a manual setup? 1625726461753

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I've got front and rear Antirock sway kits waiting for me to have the time to install them. Without the disconnect motor, there's no need for the lower bumper skid plate and frame "tusks", which increases approach angle. I'm also shedding some weight off the front end.

Sponsored

llaslo

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
VP Information Technology
I have a manual sway bar and some JKS quick disconnects sitting on my workbench that I plan to install this weekend when I install my new winch. I've now had the electronic sway bar completely fail to reconnect 2x leaving me to drive home on the highway with no sway bar since it would not reconnect. The dealer just replaced the whole unit (and my jeep only has 6700 miles on it) I've got some big cross-country trips planned this year, and I'm not risking being stuck by an electronic sway bar when a manual one takes all of about 2 minutes to disconnect or re-connect. I will be ordering a tazer next week to turn off the flashing light that's going to come on when I remove it.

I also figure that will offset some of the weight i'll be adding with my winch.

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've got front and rear Antirock sway kits waiting for me to have the time to install them. Without the disconnect motor, there's no need for the lower bumper skid plate and frame "tusks", which increases approach angle. I'm also shedding some weight off the front end.
Those frame "Tusks" are only good for me to hit my head on them all the time... I am going to cut them off pretty soon.. I have the electronic Sway bar but with the motor removed ( I made a plunger for it so I can manually disconnect them on the trail.. it works really good) ... also ... after flipping the sway bar up is really more tucked in .. I just finished the Rubicon Trail and I went through all the hard stuff.. and the electronic sway bar does not have a single scratch .... perhaps I just got lucky.. LOL

OP
OP
Jeepnutz

Jeepnutz

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Those frame "Tusks" are only good for me to hit my head on them all the time... I am going to cut them off pretty soon.. I have the electronic Sway bar but with the motor removed ( I made a plunger for it so I can manually disconnect them on the trail.. it works really good) ... also ... after flipping the sway bar up is really more tucked in .. I just finished the Rubicon Trail and I went through all the hard stuff.. and the electronic sway bar does not have a single scratch .... perhaps I just got lucky.. LOL
Do you have the sway disco flipped?

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you have the sway disco flipped?
Yes I did using a M10-1.5x10mm bolt and a spacer (you can see the details in my previous post #9) I was rushing and I did not get the properly sized spacer... as the bolt must be exerting pressure on the casing through the spacer + Washer ... the way I have it now is like not having a bolt on that treaded hole... which of course is a no-no

OP
OP
Jeepnutz

Jeepnutz

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes I did using a M10-1.5x10mm bolt and a spacer (you can see the details in my previous post #9) I was rushing and I did not get the properly sized spacer... as the bolt must be exerting pressure on the casing through the spacer + Washer ... the way I have it now is like not having a bolt on that treaded hole... which of course is a no-no
LOL. Didn't mean to ask you again..
Sponsored