Sponsored

Anyone Replace OEM Rubicon E-Lockers for ARB Air Lockers?

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Man…I wonder if I should have broken in the Jeep a bit more before doing any sort of off roading? I only have about 200 miles (150 was from salesperson driving it up to my driveway to deliver it) on it and I keep putting it in 4LO and engage my lockers to go up some steep hills nears my house. 🤣🤦🏼
lol nah. I think if it was something you had done you’d have known it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JasonInDLH

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase

Digger 5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
I see you seem to have remedied the issue but I'll answer your originally question.
There is no direct ARB replacement for a Rubicon but it can be done.
Since the factory electric locker has an offset center pin, it uses odd length axle shafts.
There are a couple of ways to install an Air Locker into a Rubicon.
You can order RD246 35 spline Air Locker units and replace your front shafts with RCVs and your rears with Dutchman Motorsports shafts.
You could also order JT Gladiator Max Tow shafts for both ends (from Jeep or various dealers such as Quadratec) and use the 32 sp RD245. The Max Tow track width is the same as a Rubicon so the shafts are a direct bolt-in..

Sponsored

OP
OP
JasonInDLH

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
I see you seem to have remedied the issue but I'll answer your originally question.
There is no direct ARB replacement for a Rubicon but it can be done.
Since the factory electric locker has an offset center pin, it uses odd length axle shafts.
There are a couple of ways to install an Air Locker into a Rubicon.
You can order RD246 35 spline Air Locker units and replace your front shafts with RCVs and your rears with Dutchman Motorsports shafts.
You could also order JT Gladiator Max Tow shafts for both ends (from Jeep or various dealers such as Quadratec) and use the 32 sp RD245. The Max Tow track width is the same as a Rubicon so the shafts are a direct bolt-in..
Awesome, thanks for the info! Will definitely refer back to this if I decide on air lockers.

As of now the system seems to work well when I don’t take it off road. I have yet to try it off road again to see what happens.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome, thanks for the info! Will definitely refer back to this if I decide on air lockers.

As of now the system seems to work well when I don’t take it off road. I have yet to try it off road again to see what happens.
Switching over to an air locker is going to be very pricey and a lot of work. The reality is if your lockers are giving you that much trouble they may have gear oil already in the sensor.

You can bypass the entire system all together by running the lockers to their own switch. Sometimes the lockers do hesitate to disengage and it's my understand that it's typically because there is force on the locker from you being on an obstacle that is causing that. I don't know if an air locker mitigates that or if it would behave the same way in that situation.

OP
OP
JasonInDLH

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
Switching over to an air locker is going to be very pricey and a lot of work. The reality is if your lockers are giving you that much trouble they may have gear oil already in the sensor.

You can bypass the entire system all together by running the lockers to their own switch. Sometimes the lockers do hesitate to disengage and it's my understand that it's typically because there is force on the locker from you being on an obstacle that is causing that. I don't know if an air locker mitigates that or if it would behave the same way in that situation.
That’s interesting you say this because I notice when I’m flat ground it works flawlessly. When I’m off road a bit it struggles to disengage. The weird part is that after I’m done flexing it out I can take it back onto the flat street and it still takes awhile to disengage. I seem to have to drive back and forth a bit to get it. Oh well…it is what it is.

I anyways have never had lockers and they’re amazing! I can certainly live with waiting a tick after off roading. 😉

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That’s interesting you say this because I notice when I’m flat ground it works flawlessly. When I’m off road a bit it struggles to disengage. The weird part is that after I’m done flexing it out I can take it back onto the flat street and it still takes awhile to disengage. I seem to have to drive back and forth a bit to get it. Oh well…it is what it is.

I anyways have never had lockers and they’re amazing! I can certainly live with waiting a tick after off roading. 😉
Lockers def are amazing but you may be using the front more than you need :)
I rarely use the front lockers because they make steering a nightmare. The Rubi without lockers on is a beast and a rear locker typically gets you through the harder obstacles. Front and rear together typically indicate a really gnarly obstacle or one where you will need the front to pull you through until the rear can hook up.
Look up Wall of Doom at Sand Hollow. That is a great example of truly needing both lockers to pull you up an almost vertical 8' wall. I've done it and it is a blast :)

OP
OP
JasonInDLH

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
Lockers def are amazing but you may be using the front more than you need :)
I rarely use the front lockers because they make steering a nightmare. The Rubi without lockers on is a beast and a rear locker typically gets you through the harder obstacles. Front and rear together typically indicate a really gnarly obstacle or one where you will need the front to pull you through until the rear can hook up.
Look up Wall of Doom at Sand Hollow. That is a great example of truly needing both lockers to pull you up an almost vertical 8' wall. I've done it and it is a blast :)
Thanks for the input! Will check that out later.
Sponsored