Sponsored

Anyone Replace OEM Rubicon E-Lockers for ARB Air Lockers?

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
So I’m a bit disappointed in the engagement and disengagement of the OEM E-Lockers in my Rubicon. Takes a while to engage and when I go to disengage it seems to only disengage partly and then I can’t steer at all. It forces me to drive right 😠 and for the life of me I can’t steer left. It takes like 5-10 minutes before it disengages and it’s super frustrating!

Soooo…anyone get rid of the e-lockers and install the Air lockers? Or maybe I’m just being outsmarted by yet another computer and not disengaging it properly?

Guess I’m just curious what you all have experienced with the lockers…

Thanks!
Jason

PS…I’m thinking I’ll simply remove the front sway bar (like I have done in my Yukon and YJ previously) and be done with that system. 😉
Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
I hope I don't jinx myself but they haven't caused me any problems. I wonder if your FAD is disengaging but your locker is not. That would force you to go right I think.

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Is your Jeep still under warranty? It sounds as if the lockers aren't working properly.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Does shifting out of 4-lo take it off automatically?

Sponsored

OP
OP
JasonInDLH

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
I hope I don't jinx myself but they haven't caused me any problems. I wonder if your FAD is disengaging but your locker is not. That would force you to go right I think.
Im not familiar with the acronym FAD. What is it?

OP
OP
JasonInDLH

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
Does shifting out of 4-lo take it off automatically?
It tries, but still doesn’t. I shift it in and out of 4LO 4Hi 2Hi and push a bunch of buttons. Eventually it unlocks.

OP
OP
JasonInDLH

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
Is your Jeep still under warranty? It sounds as if the lockers aren't working properly.
Still under warranty. 2021 with only 300 miles.

OP
OP
JasonInDLH

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
Have you potted your locker sensors? That's likely the cause of slow engagement.
I believe the bypass cables that @wibornz has suggested in a separate thread is what you are talking about here? Bypass the sensors essentially and I should be good to go?

Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Ya Front Axle Disconnect. It disconnects the passenger side axle when you’re in 2 high to improve mileage. If your locker is sticking, and the FAD is disconnecting (as it should) I believe the end result would be the Jeep steering to the right because the front driver tire is still applying torque to the ground.

I’m just trying to make sense of the right steering you are experiencing. I would definitely take it to a dealer to resolve.

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
I believe the bypass cables that @wibornz has suggested in a separate thread is what you are talking about here? Bypass the sensors essentially and I should be good to go?
There is a recurring issue with Rubicon lockers. Oil gets into the container holding the sensors for the lockers and ruins them.

I have heard of 2 solutions:

One is to pot the sensor. Basically fill the container with with a substance so oil can't get in. The engineers can explain the process better than I can. There was an excellent thread two months or so ago by someone who works in aviation about this. He helped me to understand the process.

I found it. Read it through. It is very informative.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/locker-position-sensor-potting-dana-44.59581/

The second is to bypass the sensor. This way the Jeep won't think there is a problem with the lockers.

Potting the sensor would be a preventative measure. It prevents oil from damaging the sensor. Once the sensor has been damaged, it is of little value. At that point, you would need to bypass the sensor.

Either option has implications for your warranty. I would take the Jeep to a dealer and let them take a look at the issue. The reports I have read suggest that dealers have been replacing the axles in order to resolve the issue.

I would not expect after market lockers to work more efficiently than the factory lockers.

Last edited:

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Just checked, Mine is almost immediate.

Edit, may want to turn the volume down. Garage was closed and I didn’t expect the engine to start.

OP
OP
JasonInDLH

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
Just checked, Mine is almost immediate.

Edit, may want to turn the volume down. Garage was closed and I didn’t expect the engine to start.
Dang! That is super fast! Thanks for videoing and posting for me! Shows me that there is definitely something wrong with my Lockers.

OP
OP
JasonInDLH

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
Ya Front Axle Disconnect. It disconnects the passenger side axle when you’re in 2 high to improve mileage. If your locker is sticking, and the FAD is disconnecting (as it should) I believe the end result would be the Jeep steering to the right because the front driver tire is still applying torque to the ground.

I’m just trying to make sense of the right steering you are experiencing. I would definitely take it to a dealer to resolve.
Man…I wonder if I should have broken in the Jeep a bit more before doing any sort of off roading? I only have about 200 miles (150 was from salesperson driving it up to my driveway to deliver it) on it and I keep putting it in 4LO and engage my lockers to go up some steep hills nears my house. 🤣🤦🏼
Sponsored