Sponsored

Anyone regret installing Rubicon suspension on Sport?

grnfrog75

First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
That's a great price. From what I have read, everything should be bolt-on.

You may want to consider changing your lower control arms at the same time to dial in additional caster. I like the Mopar lift lower control arms, but aftermarket adjustable arms will be better if you decide to lift more in the future. Here's a thread about the Mopar lift LCAs: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/mopar-lca-swap.22474/
Ok, that's good to know, thanks. I don't plan on lifting it any higher, I'm short and I'd rather not need a ladder to get into the thing. Besides, it's my daily driver, don't really want to over mod it at this point.
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, that's good to know, thanks. I don't plan on lifting it any higher, I'm short and I'd rather not need a ladder to get into the thing. Besides, it's my daily driver, don't really want to over mod it at this point.
You won't be disappointed.

rawgeezy33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JEEP JL UNLIMITED
So I just installed the rubicon take offs and added a RC budget boost. I think she looks mighty fine. Here’s a before and after picture.

426CBBE2-E435-4A9F-952A-A41487C47BB6.png

Wobblenuts

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
Lockheed Martin Space
Just finished up my install last weekend. I put JLUR (steel bumper, power top, towing group) suspension on my 2dr Sport (soft top and no back seat or spare). I also added the Teraflex 1.5 kit with bump stops and Mopar front LCAs. It looks fantastic on the 35s, the ride is a bit rougher than expected. Granted this is my first Jeep so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I feel everything. Tires are set at 32psi.

Jeep.jpg

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Matthew, JL looks awesome! Did you retain the steering performance that you had prior to any lift w/ the new longer LCAs?
I'll be adding just the Rubicon JLUR springs/shocks (also form a hardtop, tow pkg, steel bumper setup) next week and I'm thinking those LCAs should also be in my shopping cart as I hate steering wander :(

Sponsored

Wobblenuts

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
Lockheed Martin Space
Matthew, JL looks awesome! Did you retain the steering performance that you had prior to any lift w/ the new longer LCAs?
I'll be adding just the Rubicon JLUR springs/shocks (also form a hardtop, tow pkg, steel bumper setup) next week and I'm thinking those LCAs should also be in my shopping cart as I hate steering wander :(
Thank you :) I just got it aligned a few days ago (the toe was out) and so far it doesn't seem to wander. There is still a small dead spot but the steering is responsive and I don't have to fight with it to stay straight. I put the LCAs on at the same time so I can't say 100% that its any better vs the stocks, but looking at other members posts is what made me get them.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thank you :) I just got it aligned a few days ago (the toe was out) and so far it doesn't seem to wander. There is still a small dead spot but the steering is responsive and I don't have to fight with it to stay straight. I put the LCAs on at the same time so I can't say 100% that its any better vs the stocks, but looking at other members posts is what made me get them.
I'll install the Rubi setup and drive it awhile to determine if the longer LCAs are req'd. Even when I had my 74 CJ, I did a shackle reversal setup to dial in more caster and I've always preferred that locked in feeling vs easier effort to get tires off center.
Thanks for the reply.

grnfrog75

First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I'm in the shop getting everything installed & the guy is telling me the springs from my Sport are the same size as the Rubi. Is that the case? I saw in a thread that they have different part numbers, so that would clearly mean they're different? And if they only install the shocks & KO2's, would that be ok?

Thanks!

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
So I'm in the shop getting everything installed & the guy is telling me the springs from my Sport are the same size as the Rubi. Is that the case? I saw in a thread that they have different part numbers, so that would clearly mean they're different? And if they only install the shocks & KO2's, would that be ok?

Thanks!
If they have different part numbers, then they are different. I'd have the entire thing installed

Sponsored

grnfrog75

First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agree'd. Sounds like it is the end of the week and someone might be trying to be lazy.
I was thinking that as well. They close at 5, so there's no way for them to get it done today. I should be ok with the sport springs until I can get it back in next week?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Thanks!
If you have genuine Rubicon suspension the springs will have different part #s, if you got the springs from a 2 dr Rubicon the spring numbers will just be a couple numbers higher, the 4dr Rubicon springs will have a higher # than the 2 dr, and the highest part # springs will be from the 4dr that has the hardtop, steel bumper, and tow pkg.

Hopefully you have all the part tags on your springs and you can quickly confirm the real #s.
You'll be ok running the sport springs short term w/ Rubi shocks FWIW.

grnfrog75

First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you have genuine Rubicon suspension the springs will have different part #s, if you got the springs from a 2 dr Rubicon the spring numbers will just be a couple numbers higher, the 4dr Rubicon springs will have a higher # than the 2 dr, and the highest part # springs will be from the 4dr that has the hardtop, steel bumper, and tow pkg.

Hopefully you have all the part tags on your springs and you can quickly confirm the real #s.
You'll be ok running the sport springs short term w/ Rubi shocks FWIW.
Yes, they're genuine from a Rubicon. I could only see 1 tag on my Sport springs, but all of the Rubicon's still had their tags. I'll verify that soon. I'm going to take it back & have them do the springs like I wanted them to do in the first place. Not liking the fact that they made the decision without calling me. Hopefully I'll have that done next week. Thanks for the help!

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Yes, they're genuine from a Rubicon. I could only see 1 tag on my Sport springs, but all of the Rubicon's still had their tags. I'll verify that soon. I'm going to take it back & have them do the springs like I wanted them to do in the first place. Not liking the fact that they made the decision without calling me. Hopefully I'll have that done next week. Thanks for the help!
Most of the lift comes from the springs. You definitely want those changed. There is a noticeable difference.

Keep in mind there in not just one set of springs - the springs change based on whether the Rubi has hard top, steel bumper, and tow package.

grnfrog75

First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Most of the lift comes from the springs. You definitely want those changed. There is a noticeable difference.

Keep in mind there in not just one set of springs - the springs change based on whether the Rubi has hard top, steel bumper, and tow package.
That was the impression I got, that most of the lift was from the springs, but this guy said otherwise. They had a hard top, plastic bumper, not sure if they have a tow package or not, I'll have to ask. That explains the varying part numbers then. Thank you!
Sponsored