Sponsored

Anyone regret installing Rubicon suspension on Sport?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

BJG

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
I installed the Rubicon suspension and 1/2" spacers on my 2019 Sport "S" Unlimited and I can tell you it is an awesome upgrade. Ride is the same and handling and tracking improved greatly. I also have the Rubi tires and wheels upgrade with the Falken M/T tires. The springs and spacers provided about 2" of lift, maybe 35's when these tires wear out.

IMG_0098.JPG

I did this exact setup yesterday. Rubi plus half inch spacers. I got slightly over 2" on average.

My only concern is it seems quite stiff on the road now. I don't mind it in general, but it seems so stiff that the interior kind of rattles more than it did like my tires are over pressure, but they are at 36.

I'm worried how aggressive it's going to to feel on washboard type roads. Everyone says it rides "better" which is pretty non descriptive.

I will say that steering is noticeably better because I also added the longer front LCA's.

Supercharged

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, Pontiac G8 GT, GMC Acadia
I did this exact setup yesterday. Rubi plus half inch spacers. I got slightly over 2" on average.

My only concern is it seems quite stiff on the road now. I don't mind it in general, but it seems so stiff that the interior kind of rattles more than it did like my tires are over pressure, but they are at 36.

I'm worried how aggressive it's going to to feel on washboard type roads. Everyone says it rides "better" which is pretty non descriptive.

I will say that steering is noticeably better because I also added the longer front LCA's.
The ride will soften up a bit as the suspension breaks in. Mine was very firm at first and I loved it. Now its softer but still very happy with it. Mine came off a hardtop, steel bumper and tow package Rubicon. I installed steel bumpers and added a winch. Total of an additional 170 lbs (110 lb steel bumper and 60 lbs 10k winch with synthetic line). So now I am going to add 1" spacers to the front to resolve the sag.

Reactions: BJG

BJG

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
The ride will soften up a bit as the suspension breaks in. Mine was very firm at first and I loved it. Now its softer but still very happy with it. Mine came off a hardtop, steel bumper and tow package Rubicon. I installed steel bumpers and added a winch. Total of an additional 170 lbs (110 lb steel bumper and 60 lbs 10k winch with synthetic line). So now I am going to add 1" spacers to the front to resolve the sag.

That is good to hear. The springs I was gifted were 60/62 in the front. I'm not sure why they had a gap of two but I know these are some of the stiffest available.

Glad to hear it will chill out a bit and it's cool that I have some future proofing for more mods.

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I think you will love it on washboard roads. That's where the Rubicon suspension I put on really shines.

Sponsored

Wobblenuts

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
Lockheed Martin Space
I agree with the stiffness, I am not a fan. I also have my spare and back seat deleted, so that doesn't help the rear out. It's tolerable for now, but I am looking forward to getting something made for my 2 door.

RockyMtJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
I just recently replaced my JLUR suspension with the metal cloak 2.5” game changer, I am going to be giving my factory rubicon suspension to my buddy who has a JLU sport. My question is, should I only send the coils and shocks or does he also need the control arms? Also, is the front drive shaft the same on a sport as rubicon as I may send that along too.

thanks

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I think you will love it on washboard roads. That's where the Rubicon suspension I put on really shines.
I just recently replaced my JLUR suspension with the metal cloak 2.5” game changer, I am going to be giving my factory rubicon suspension to my buddy who has a JLU sport. My question is, should I only send the coils and shocks or does he also need the control arms? Also, is the front drive shaft the same on a sport as rubicon as I may send that along too.

thanks
Only shocks & springs are different

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I agree with the stiffness, I am not a fan. I also have my spare and back seat deleted, so that doesn't help the rear out. It's tolerable for now, but I am looking forward to getting something made for my 2 door.
On my 2dr (w/ seat and spare) I find the Rubi update perfect, wasn't a fan of the way it was tracking vs. prior to the swap, but after adding the 1/4" longer Mopar LCAs I don't have any problems w/ the firmness and steering, and actually prefer it. Maybe coming from CJs tilts my perspective, but also running E-load rated Patagonias (at 30 psi), and the ride is still very comfortable IMO.

Huskies91

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Willys JL
Resurrecting this topic after a year. How is everyone's Rubi swap going? I'm planning on doing the swap with my 2020 Willys Unlimited. Any regrets? Any suggestions? I was planning on just the Rubi Coils? Would you suggest the Mopar Lift 1/4 inch longer LCA's?

Anything else you did that may have improved the ride? Thanks...

Sponsored

Bluebeast

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport
Just do it once... go ahead and get a lift. That way you only have to swap stuff out one time instead of twice. I may know from experience. :CWL:

dietch

First Name
Davis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sport S
Not sure if anyone else is having issues with their swap but it seems like im constantly hearing new sounds coming from my rubicon suspension.(This is my 4th wrangler, I know it makes noise) But I'm not sure if it was the person who installed it or what, but all 4 springs have shifted and are not seated correctly, plus there is a lot more noise coming from my front end when I hit bumps now than it did before.

Bun707

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
Resurrecting this topic after a year. How is everyone's Rubi swap going? I'm planning on doing the swap with my 2020 Willys Unlimited. Any regrets? Any suggestions? I was planning on just the Rubi Coils? Would you suggest the Mopar Lift 1/4 inch longer LCA's?

Anything else you did that may have improved the ride? Thanks...
I did the swap in March '20 also put on 1/2" Teraflex spacers. It's been great overall, no noise or other problems. I got the whole kit including springs, shocks, end links (not needed) for $50 via OfferUp. A real steal for sure, I think most are paying $150-$250. Oh, and I did add the longer Mopar LCA's. I could certainly live and be happy with this setup. Many people recommend running a few pounds under the stock 36PSI to improve things.

Nevertheless, I am toying with the idea of going with the Dynatrac EnduroSport for the better ride quality and a bit extra height now that I'm adding a bumper. I'm only on 33" tires though and it might look a bit silly. I don't feel like buying tires though!

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
All good w/mine too, and added the LCAs too.

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone regret installing Rubicon suspension on Sport? IMG_0423.JPG
Sponsored